Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like Maurice, as long as he's NOT singing! I thought he was very good as Audrey Hepburn's father in LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (Gary Cooper was kind of the creeper in that one, Yes?)

I also thought his marriage to Leslie Caron in FANNY was surprisingly sweet.

Fanny (1961) is my favourite Chevalier performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Fanny (1961) is my favourite Chevalier performance.

Yes, I forgot about Love In the Afternoon and Fanny.  It's been years since I thought about those 2 films. Liked him in both.  Agreed, he was never a favorite of mine when singing although I did like I Remember It Well in Gigi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, February 18

MV5BNzYzNmNhMWEtY2MxNS00MWU0LWJjMjAtNjU4

2:15 p.m.  Vacation From Marriage (1945).  Alexander Korda film with Robert Donat. Deborah Kerr and Glynis Johns.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not fond of her singing too SPEED, but if you're recording it, you have the option of fast forwarding through it, while I just went to the kitchen for a refill of coffee and rummaged through the morning paper for the few minutes.  ;)

Sepiatone

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, February 19

“I do not avoid women, Mandrake.  I simply deny them my essence.”

4438.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

8 p.m.  Dr. Strangelove (1964).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently opted for TCM after quite awhile. I am wishing this thread a little more active with recommendations (without spoilers). I have a DVR and as I scroll though the guide I have trouble choosing. I can't record everything. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today 2/18

I personally love Brief Encounter: a film about two people who fall in love...but are married to other people.  They are both unhappy in their respective marriages and have to decide if pursuing their romance is worth the hurt it would cause their respective families and if they can survive while committing adultery.  This is a beautiful, poignant film.

Tomorrow 2/19

It Happened Tomorrow.  This is a fun film starring Dick Powell, Linda Darnell, and Jack Oakie.  In this film, Powell plays a turn of the century reporter who always seems to be a half-step behind in getting the big scoop.  He makes a wish that he could be privy  to tomorrow's headlines, so that he could be a more successful reporter.  He meets an old man who has access to tomorrow's newspaper.  Powell is able to read tomorrow's news and scoop everyone in town on the hottest story. Darnell plays Powell's love interest and the niece of Jack Oakie.  Oakie and Darnell have a fortune telling act. 

The Asphalt Jungle.  This is a fantastic John Huston-directed heist film starring Sterling Hayden and featuring a young Marilyn Monroe.  I love caper/heist films and this film introduced me to Hayden whom I enjoyed watching.

Thursday 2/20

The Talk of the Town.  This is a fun film starring Jean Arthur, Cary Grant and Ronald Colman.  Grant plays an escaped fugitive and acquaintance of Arthur's and is using her home as a refuge. Colman plays a stuffy law professor who struggles between the law and humanity.  Plus, there's a love triangle between Grant, Arthur, and Colman. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, February 20

mrsmith.0.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  Good old dust up against corruption in the Senate.  Those were the days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, February 21

image.jpg

12:45 a.m.   Manhattan (1979).  Beautiful film by Woody Allen if you can get past his dating a much younger woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, February 22

You finally did it.

planet-apes-1968-ending-you-blew-it.jpg?

3 a.m.  Planet of the Apes (1968).  Damn you all to hell!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 12:26 PM, speedracer5 said:

he Talk of the Town.  This is a fun film starring Jean Arthur, Cary Grant and Ronald Colman.  Grant plays an escaped fugitive and acquaintance of Arthur's and is using her home as a refuge. Colman plays a stuffy law professor who struggles between the law and humanity.  Plus, there's a love triangle between Grant, Arthur, and Colman. 

Watched that last night and really enjoyed it.  Jean Arthur's voice makes her such a natural comedic actress.  There were also some very nice speeches from Ronald Coleman about the importance of the rule of law in our country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 20

mrsmith.0.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  Good old dust up against corruption in the Senate.  Those were the days.

I'm still fascinated by the guy whose head is sticking out of the mail basket.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 22

You finally did it.

planet-apes-1968-ending-you-blew-it.jpg?

3 a.m.  Planet of the Apes (1968).  Damn you all to hell!

I don't care what he just found out. Difficult to feel sorry for any guy who's got Linda Harrison hanging out with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I don't care what he just found out. Difficult to feel sorry for any guy who's got Linda Harrison hanging out with him.

With her vaccination mark on her arm.  How did that get there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, February 22 

Three Little Words.  This is a great biopic musical starring Fred Astaire, Vera-Ellen, and Red Skelton.  Fred and Red (lol) play Bert Kalmar and Harry  Ruby, respectively, a big songwriting team. They're responsible for Connie Francis' later big hit "Who's Sorry  Now?" and Betty Boop's big  song "I Wanna Be Loved By You." Debbie Reynolds plays Helen Kane (aka voice of Betty Boop), but the real Kane dubs Reynolds' vocals. My favorite dance number is the domestic "at-home" number between Fred and Vera-Ellen. 

Sunday, February 23

My personal favorite pick is The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer with Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Shirley Temple. A teenaged Temple develops a huge crush on playboy Grant, much to the chagrin of Temple's sister, Judge Loy. 

I see Mogambo is airing.  I *want* to like this movie because I like the cast: Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, and Grace Kelly, but I can't.  I've tried watching this movie like 3 times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Saturday, February 22

I see Mogambo is airing.  I *want* to like this movie because I like the cast: Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, and Grace Kelly, but I can't.  I've tried watching this movie like 3 times. 

It sucks. I can't believe JOHN FORD directed it or that AVA GARDNER got nominated for it. 1953 was a peculiar year in the ACTRESS Race. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It sucks. I can't believe JOHN FORD directed it or that AVA GARDNER got nominated for it. 1953 was a peculiar year in the ACTRESS Race. 

If Ava should have been nominated for any part she played, it should have been for Night of the Iguana.  She was fantastic in that movie.

I'm glad Donna Reed beat Ava for the Oscar.  I love From Here to Eternity.  I can't say the same for Mogambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If Ava should have been nominated for any part she played, it should have been for Night of the Iguana.  She was fantastic in that movie.

I'm glad Donna Reed beat Ava for the Oscar.  I love From Here to Eternity.  I can't say the same for Mogambo

DONNA REED beat GRACE KELLY for the supporting Oscar, AVA was up for BEST ACTRESS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DONNA REED beat GRACE KELLY for the supporting Oscar, AVA was up for BEST ACTRESS.

Oh.  Well I'm glad that Audrey Hepburn won then! Lol.  I also like Roman Holiday

EDIT: I'm still happy for Donna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh.  Well I'm glad that Audrey Hepburn won then! Lol.  I also like Roman Holiday

EDIT: I'm still happy for Donna.

THERE'S no way AUDREY couldn't win the other nominees were SO WEAK.

AVA in MOREGUMBO, LESLIE CARON in LILI (which is a fine film, but not an OSCAR part), MAGGIE McNAMARA in THE MOON IS BLUE (which is one of the worst performances ever nominated- BLESS HER HEART AND ALL) and DEBORAH KERR who is fine but has far too small a part to be a real Best Lead contender in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THERE'S no way AUDREY couldn't win the other nominees were SO WEAK.

AVA in MOREGUMBO, LESLIE CARON in LILI (which is a fine film, but not an OSCAR part), MAGGIE McNAMARA in THE MOON IS BLUE (which is one of the worst performances ever nominated- BLESS HER HEART AND ALL) and DEBORAH KERR who is fine but has far too small a part to be a real Best Lead contender in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY.

Lol.  I've only seen Maggie McNamara in The Moon is Blue, but she reminded me of a wannabe Audrey Hepburn.  She had a really sad life though, so I don't want to rag on her too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If Ava should have been nominated for any part she played, it should have been for Night of the Iguana.  She was fantastic in that movie.

I'm glad Donna Reed beat Ava for the Oscar.  I love From Here to Eternity.  I can't say the same for Mogambo

Gardner was good in Night of the Iguana. But she is also appealingly down-to-earth in Mogambo and is the primary reason to watch the film, for me, at least. She is sexy but also a grounded character in the film without pretensions, an enjoyable contrast to the Grace Kelly character.

ava-gardners-costumes-Mogambo-17.png

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  I've only seen Maggie McNamara in The Moon is Blue, but she reminded me of a wannabe Audrey Hepburn.  She had a really sad life though, so I don't want to rag on her too much. 

The script is so bad, NO ONE could be good in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...