Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The script is so bad, NO ONE could be good in it.

Lol.

I kind of enjoyed the film, in that I liked the idea of the movie and how progressive it was for 1953.  But I also really love William Holden, so perhaps that blinded me to the film's faults.  I like the part when William Holden calls Maggie McNamara out on her so-called chastity and desire to remain a virgin by telling her essentially that people who are truly committed to remaining pure and chaste usually don't feel the need to advertise their virginity constantly.  Which is really true of anything, people who have to work overtime to convince people of something (e.g. the people who CONSTANTLY post about how happy or "blessed" they are in their marriage, usually are miserable) are usually compensating. 

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

With her vaccination mark on her arm.  How did that get there?

Time travel!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Gardner was good in Night of the Iguana. But she is also appealingly down-to-earth in Mogambo and is the primary reason to watch the film, for me, at least. She is sexy but also a grounded character in the film without pretensions, an enjoyable contrast to the Grace Kelly character.

ava-gardners-costumes-Mogambo-17.png

I never cared for Mogambo when watching it on television, but I saw it at last year's festival, and enjoyed it more.

My favorite  Garnder film would probably be either On the Beach or Night of the Iguana.  It's tough to choose.  Knowing Bette Davis played her Iguana role on stage always runs through my mind when watching it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I never cared for Mogambo when watching it on television, but I saw it at last year's festival, and enjoyed it more.

My favorite  Garnder film would probably be either On the Beach or Night of the Iguana.  It's tough to choose.  Knowing Bette Davis played her Iguana role on stage always runs through my mind when watching it.

I think a slightly aging Gardner brings a touching vulnerability to her role in On The Beach, and she and Gregory Peck have lovely chemistry.

8303981233_a51ca0e14c_b.jpg

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The script is so bad, NO ONE could be good in it.

Yes, it's hard to remember that The Moon Is Blue was a big hit on Broadway, which is why Hollywood filmed it in the first place. So uninteresting in film terms that it's hard to believe it was directed by Otto Preminger. One of his weakest films of the 40s-50s era.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 20

mrsmith.0.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939).  Good old dust up against corruption in the Senate.  Those were the days.

13 hours ago, TomJH said:

I'm still fascinated by the guy whose head is sticking out of the mail basket.

Why, I think that might be Robert Benchley filming one of his comedy shorts here, isn't it???

Ya know, they used a lot of the same sets for different films back then, don't ya Tom?!

(...looks like sometimes even at the same TIME!) ;)

Sunday, February 23

Just for you, Mr. President …

battle-in-atlanta-gwtw.jpg?w=603&h=442

10 p.m.  Gone With the Wind (1939).  No subtitles and not one Korean in it either. :lol:

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 23

10 p.m.  Gone With the Wind (1939).  No subtitles and not one Korean in it either. :lol:

Nah, I think THIS one deserves MORE than just that little laughing emoji I just awarded it, Bogie.

And so...

rofl.gif

(...there, THAT'S better!)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 23

And a valuable history lesson for the President, too, in case he's not certain who won the war.

• Haha 4

Thanks to my fellow posters for mocking and berating those of us who enjoy and appreciate the merits of Gone With the Wind.

You guys just never, ever give up in your attempts to demean us.

48 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Thanks to my fellow posters for mocking and berating those of us who enjoy and appreciate the merits of Gone With the Wind.

Who is "us"? Besides, no one here knocked the film. It was the President who was mocked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Why, I think that might be Robert Benchley filming one of his comedy shorts here, isn't it???

Ya know, they used a lot of the same sets for different films back then, don't ya Tom?!

(...looks like sometimes even at the same TIME!) ;)

You're right, Dargo. Maybe Benchley was filming his latest short, HOW SNEAK INTO A FILM WITHOUT ANYONE NOTICING.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Sure hope after Tom and Gf explained this to ya here Roy, that you now understand what we were IN FACT laughing about here! And in MY case as you saw, ROFL!

(...'cause I don't know about Tom and Gf here, but I'VE loved GWTW since I first watched it in my mid-twenties in the mid-'70s and when it was re-released to the theatres)

AT THE RISK OF BLOWING THINGS UP (but as it is OSCAR MONTH and we could use some warmth...)

Count me in as still being an admirer of GONE WITH THE WIND, although it's a film that I LIKE that I UNDERSTAND OTHER PEOPLE NOT LIKING.

THERE ARE DETRIMENTS TO THE MOVIE, but damned if the good points don't work and there is no denying that VIVIEN LEIGH, OLIVIA DeHAVILLAND and- yes- HATTIE MACDANIELL (sp?) all give INCREDIBLE POERFORMANCES- I've said this before, but the scene where her MACDANIELL'S character is walking with OLIVIA DeHAVILLAND'S up the stairs and she is heartbroken as she delivers the details of what has happened since the death of the child is as GREAT a piece of acting as you are going to come across, context of the role not withstanding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never seen Gone With the Wind

I'll turn in my classic film fan card at the door on my way out.

::hangs head in shame::

Lol. 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol. 

But have you seen Parasite !  :lol:

54 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

But have you seen Parasite !  :lol:

I haven't.  But I saw it was in RedBox.  I might rent it as part of my efforts to see all the 2019 Oscar nominated films.

• Haha 1

kinda Boring, til Mon., 2-24...........  :unsure:

12:15 PM

La Ronde ( 1950)

A series of inter-related affairs link lovers from all levels of society.

Dir Max Ophüls Cast Anton Walbrook , Danielle Darrieux , Simone Signoret .

BW- 93 mins,

2:00 PM

Young Girls of Rochefort, The ( 1967)

Twin sisters who each want to find romance befriend a couple of visiting carnival workers.

Dir Jacques Demy Cast Catherine Deneuve , Françoise Dorléac , George Chakiris .

C- 127 mins, Letterbox Format

4:15 PM

Le Plaisir ( 1954)

Three stories explore the intersection of pleasure, purity and sex.

Dir Max Ophüls Cast Jean Gabin , Madeleine Renaud , Danielle Darrieux .

BW- 98 mins,

• Like 2

Monday, February 24/25

16062198906_6b5491522d_b.jpg

2:20 a.m.  The Professionals (1966).  Directed by Richard Brooks.  This is one of my favourite westerns.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mr6666 said:

kinda Boring, til Mon., 2-24...........  :unsure:

12:15 PM

La Ronde ( 1950)

A series of inter-related affairs link lovers from all levels of society.

Dir Max Ophüls Cast Anton Walbrook , Danielle Darrieux , Simone Signoret .

BW- 93 mins,

2:00 PM

Young Girls of Rochefort, The ( 1967)

Twin sisters who each want to find romance befriend a couple of visiting carnival workers.

Dir Jacques Demy Cast Catherine Deneuve , Françoise Dorléac , George Chakiris .

C- 127 mins, Letterbox Format

4:15 PM

Le Plaisir ( 1954)

Three stories explore the intersection of pleasure, purity and sex.

Dir Max Ophüls Cast Jean Gabin , Madeleine Renaud , Danielle Darrieux .

BW- 98 mins,

Also Monday 2/14 night at 10PM - a great Marcello Mastroianni film

specialday.jpg

A Special Day - Mastroianni as a closeted bisexual reporter and Sophia Loren as an ignored housewife who meet during Hitler's visit to Italy during the height of Mussolini's Fascist regime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:03 AM, speedracer5 said:

source.gif

JUST KIDDING!

• Haha 2

i REMEMBER when GONE WITH THE WIND came out in VHS in 1985, my father BORROWED THE NEIGHBOR'S VCR SO HE COULD DUPE IT [**by that I mean PLAYING it on our VCR while RECORDING it with theirs). It was THAT IMPORTANT.  but then, I am from NORTH CAROLINA, I'm sure it's different in the PAC NORTHWEST.

It, along with THE MALTESE FALCON, was one of my first classic movie experiences.

and again, besides the exceptional acting, not just from VIVIEN LEIGH who is AMAZING- as one critic wrote "SO beautiful she need not be SO talented and SO talented, she need not be SO beautiful" , but also the aforementioned HATTIE MACDANIELL AND OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND; also LAURA HOPE CREWES and JANE DARWELL and THOMAS MITCHEL, even CLARK GABLE as CLARK GABLE as RHETT BUTLER is PERFECT (it's a role he was born to play)- who has some impressive scenes of his own.

poor LESLIE HOWARD though...

it's a gorgeously shot film, and it's honest about some things- it's quite clear that the war was not a good idea and also that the south loses, it's also honest about reconstruction and that convict labor was basically legal slavery.

it's a film clearly divided into thirds, and the biggest issue is that the FINAL THIRD IS THE LEAST INTERESTING, although it has that iconic FINAL LINE.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i REMEMBER when GONE WITH THE WIND came out in VHS in 1985, my father BORROWED THE NEIGHBOR'S VCR SO HE COULD DUPE IT. It was THAT IMPORTANT.  but then, I am from NORTH CAROLINA, I'm sure it's different in the PAC NORTHWEST.

It, along with THE MALTESE FALCON, was one of my first classic movie experiences.

and again, besides the exceptional acting, not just from VIVIEN LEIGH who is AMAZING- as one critic wrote "SO beautiful she need not be SO talented and SO talented, she need not be SO beautiful" , but also the aforementioned HATTIE MACDANIELL AND OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND; also LAURA HOPE CREWES and JANE DARWELL and THOMAS MITCHEL, even CLARK GABLE as CLARK GABLE as RHETT BUTLER is PERFECT (it's a role he was born to play)- who has some impressive scenes of his own.

poor LESLIE HOWARD though...

it's a gorgeously shot film, and it's honest about some things- it's quite clear that the war was not a good idea and also that the south loses, it's also honest about reconstruction and that convict labor was basically legal slavery.

it's a film clearly divided into thirds, and the biggest issue is that the FINAL THIRD IS THE LEAST INTERESTING, although it has that iconic FINAL LINE.

Well Oregon did have a big Klan population in the 20s, so who knows what this area is into.  Lol. 

You'd think with the amount of rain we get that I could at least find one crappy weather afternoon to watch the film.

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Well Oregon did have a big Klan population in the 20s, so who knows what this area is into.  Lol. 

You'd think with the amount of rain we get that I could at least find one crappy weather afternoon to watch the film.

The Klan is not in GONE WITH THE WIND (the movie)...although it may be in the novel. Really, compared to BIRTH OF A NATION, GWTW is (HONESTLY) tame.

• Like 1