Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

The Klan is not in GONE WITH THE WIND (the movie)...although it may be in the novel. Really, compared to BIRTH OF A NATION, GWTW is (HONESTLY) tame.

I feel like I have seen Gone With the Wind because I know all the famous scenes and all the famous lines, but I really haven't seen all the famous scenes and lines within the context of the film. I do know that Scarlett O'Hara's "Tomorrow is another day" is the end of the film.

you might like to watch any one of many documentaries about the making of GWTW beforehand...I am pretty sure some are on youtube...ther eis one with footage of screen tests from various actresses in the role of SCARLETT.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i REMEMBER when GONE WITH THE WIND came out in VHS in 1985, my father BORROWED THE NEIGHBOR'S VCR SO HE COULD DUPE IT. It was THAT IMPORTANT.  but then, I am from NORTH CAROLINA, I'm sure it's different in the PAC NORTHWEST.

It, along with THE MALTESE FALCON, was one of my first classic movie experiences.

and again, besides the exceptional acting, not just from VIVIEN LEIGH who is AMAZING- as one critic wrote "SO beautiful she need not be SO talented and SO talented, she need not be SO beautiful" , but also the aforementioned HATTIE MACDANIELL AND OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND; also LAURA HOPE CREWES and JANE DARWELL and THOMAS MITCHEL, even CLARK GABLE as PERFECT GABLE is PERFECT (it's a role he was born to play.)

poor LESLIE HOWARD though...

it's a gorgeously shot film, and it's honest about some things- it's quite clear that the war was not a good idea and also that the south loses, it's also honest about reconstruction and that convict labor was basically legal slavery.

it's a film clearly divided into thirds, and the biggest issue is that the FINAL THIRD IS THE LEAST INTERESTING, although it has that iconic FINAL LINE.

It's always had some kind of hold over people.   It was a big deal when it premiered on broadcast TV on NBC in 1976.  A total of 162M people saw it over 2 nights (each night counted separately, so about 80M per night).  NBC paid $5M for the one-time rights in 1974.   In 1978, CBS paid $35M for the broadcast rights for 20 years.  Both were astronomical sum for the times.  I don't think CBS got their money's worth, because it certainly didn't become an annual event like The Wizard of Oz.

• Thanks 1

I need to correct myself on a previous assertion- or at least modify it. The KLAN is not OVERTLY in GONE WITH THE WIND, but it is implied in this one scene:

(not great quality)..still better than BIRTH OF A NATION.

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 25

MV5BMDk1ZjBmNzgtMmU2ZS00NWYwLTg0MzktMjVi

6:30 a.m.  That Forsyte Woman (1949).  Errol Flynn without his cutlass.

Greer Garson wrote the following about working with Errol Flynn on this film:

"We greeted each other warily on the first day of shooting, in an electrical atmosphere of mutual apprehension, while gleeful columnists and set siders waited breathlessly for the predicted clash between MGM's Nice Lady and Warners' Bad Boy. It never came. Instead there was swift rapport, easy friendship and a deal of harmless fun and laughter . . . happy memories of a picture that wasn't much, I'm afraid, for the audience, but was a ball for the cast and crew that made it.

Soon afterwards he left for England, hoping to unwind and relax by putting some distance between himself and his then current difficulties. He was facing a blue phase of personal loneliness and professional uncertainty, and he knew it, but he took leave of us all with his customary debonair insouciance. I met him a few years later at a friend's party in New York, and for one startled moment I didn't recognize him, he looked so ill and changed."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flynn attended the famous MGM 25th Anniversary luncheon while filming at the studio.  The video is pretty funny, with the MC neglecting to announce his entrance while others entered in general alphabetical order.   Flynn waits in the wings for his name.  He ended up walking in with Kathryn Grayson.

image.jpeg.eaa207ebc86bae387f8e5bf8e6f3f490.jpegimage.jpeg.22aa89b8c5132ab84d249caa4a8156f4.jpeg

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Flynn attended the famous MGM 25th Anniversary luncheon while filming at the studio.  The video is pretty funny, with the MC neglecting to announce his entrance while others entered in general alphabetical order.   Flynn waits in the wings for his name.  He ended up walking in with Kathryn Grayson.

image.jpeg.eaa207ebc86bae387f8e5bf8e6f3f490.jpegimage.jpeg.22aa89b8c5132ab84d249caa4a8156f4.jpeg

I enjoy watching Flynn's aplomb when George Murphy fails to introduce him and he half bows to Greer Garson who is following and passes him. I also noticed that Spencer Tracy is introduced by Alvin the Chipmunk.

11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 25

MV5BMDk1ZjBmNzgtMmU2ZS00NWYwLTg0MzktMjVi

6:30 a.m.  That Forsyte Woman (1949).  Errol Flynn without his cutlass.

I really like That Forsyte Woman.  The only flaw I really find is that Robert Young is too old for his character.  With that said, Errol is the best part of the movie and it's interesting to see him playing such a cold character.  Errol had more range as an actor than typically credited. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The Klan is not in GONE WITH THE WIND (the movie)...although it may be in the novel. Really, compared to BIRTH OF A NATION, GWTW is (HONESTLY) tame.

Well, that "Political Meeting"..........

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Well, that "Political Meeting"..........

Everybody in the South perceived it as meaning a Klan meeting.  Although, there probably were groups throughout the South that paralleled the ideas and methods of the Klan without actually officially being part of the Klan.

Also, the group in GWTW attacked a settlement of white trash and outlaws as well as blacks who lived there.

Wednesday, February 26 2 am (EST)

the-sea-wolf

THE SEA WOLF

TCM has shown this classic version of the Jack London tale many times but I see that they are listing this version as 100 minutes. If so then the channel is showing the version that was recently restored to its full length rather than the 87 minute version they have broadcast for years.

Edward G. Robinson at his most brilliant, with an outstanding supporting cast all under the direction of Michael Curtiz in peak form.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, was obvious to me what they were trying to imply when I first saw the film many years ago.......

Yeah, I posted a correction to my original statement.

I'll always remember the first words of DAVID COPPERFIELD because of that scene and OLIVIA DeHAVILLAND'S line reads.

"Melanie sat down and with a hand that did not tremble reached for a book on the table.  It was a ragged copy of Les Miserables, that book which caught the fancy of the Confederate soldiers.  They had read it by camp-fire light and took some grim pleasure in calling it "Lee's Miserables."  She opened it at the middle and began to read in a clear monotonous voice."

• Thanks 2

Tomorrow I recommend The Enchanted Cottage starring Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young, and Herbert  Marshall.  McGuire plays a young woman who works as a maid in an old cottage, one that, according to legend, is enchanted.  The cottage as the legend goes, has the power to transform people and make them fall in love.  McGuire is depicted as a homely woman (though honestly, she looks fine, she just isn't dolled up in the Hollywood makeup) who is employed as the cottage's caretaker.  Young plays a WWII soldier who is disfigured during the war and returns to the cottage to hideout,  too embarrassed to reunite  with his vain, glamorous fiancee.  As McGuire and Young spend more time together, they begin to fall in love, seemingly overtaken by the powers  of the enchanted cottage. 

• Like 1

Thursday, February 27

movie1.jpg

midnight.  One Million B.C. (1940).  No Raquel Welch in this version but the prehistoric babes are still better looking than the apes in 2001 A Space Odyssey.  Replaced in Canada with Blondes at Work (1938).

On 2/25/2020 at 6:11 AM, TomJH said:

Wednesday, February 26 2 am (EST)

the-sea-wolf

THE SEA WOLF

TCM has shown this classic version of the Jack London tale many times but I see that they are listing this version as 100 minutes. If so then the channel is showing the version that was recently restored to its full length rather than the 87 minute version they have broadcast for years.

Edward G. Robinson at his most brilliant, with an outstanding supporting cast all under the direction of Michael Curtiz in peak form.

The longer restored version is definitely the one to see.  It looks like a noir masterpiece.