Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

30 minutes ago, kingrat said:

The longer restored version [OF THE SEA WOLF] is definitely the one to see.  It looks like a noir masterpiece.

I keep searching for a SCREEN DIRECTOR'S PLAYHOUSE RADIO VERSION of THE SEA WOLF starring BORIS KARLOFF, but cannot find it.

27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wow. On SATURDAY they're showing THE SWARM.

Am I the only one who feels like this OSCAR MONTH has been especially hollow and meaningless?

What in the world did THAT get nominated for??????????

24 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What in the world did THAT get nominated for??????????

PAUL ZASTUPNAVICH(sp?)'s nomination for BEST COSTUME DESIGN for THE SWARM has been discussed on the boards quite often. Surprised you missed it!

(I personally think he deserved it, I mean, can you imagine designing tiny costumes for EACH and EVERY BEE?)

Why was he nominated for The Swarm when he was also costume designer for The Poseiden Adventure?  That would seem like a more reasonable nomination, especially  in consideration of the actresses' hotpants outfits.    (I realized that he WAS nominated for The Poseiden Adventure and lost to  Travels with My Aunt.)

Image result for poseidon adventure hotpants

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Roy Cronin said:

Why was he nominated for The Swarm when he was also costume designer for The Poseiden Adventure?  That would seem like a more reasonable nomination, especially  in consideration of the actresses' hotpants outfits. 

Image result for poseidon adventure hotpants

So I'm not too familiar with the costume design discipline.  Does it include all the smudges and dirt spots, etc?  Are those "designed"?

An interesting detail behind the production of The Poseidon Adventure is the costume development for the characters, specifically the female characters. Costume designer Paul Zastupnevich had to create looks that would make sense for upper-class passengers but also be durable enough to not tear away completely. Even Frank points out that it will be difficult to move through the wreckage in a fancy dress at the start of the journey. This explains why Susan (Pamela Sue Martin) conveniently wore red shorts under her skirt and Linda (Stella Stevens) ditched her gown for her husband’s shirt. Only Belle Rosen (Shelley Winters) stays in her original outfit, so the skirt was already knee-length and made of a fragile fabric that could tear easily.

Designing clothes for the cast of The Poseidon Adventure was a traumatic experience for Paul Zastupnevich. Paul Z., as his co-workers called him, was required to design for both appearance and the development of character and then watch his art being destroyed bit by bit. A complication of Paul's problem was what would be practical as they, particularly the women, fought their way upward to the ship's keel and possible rescue? In consultation with producer Allen and director Ronald Neame it was considered and rejected that the ladies be reduced to their underwear. This, it was thought, might have a comedic effect destructive to the tension of the story. Zastupnevich resolved his problems in a variety of ingenious ways. For Stella Stevens he created a plain, bias cut gown of white champagne satin, "something Jean Harlow might have worn which teases but doesn't show all." He added that he merely "showcased" her natural endowments. Obviously impractical for climbing around the bowels of a ship, the gown is discarded by Stella and she adopts the shirt of her husband in the film, Ernest Borgnine.

For Pamela Sue Martin, Paul provided a frilly, white lace blouse, a long red velvet slit skirt and hot pants of the same material. Each costume had to be one in which there could be tears and rips and dirt and still at least much of the costume would have to survive. Over one hundred different costumes were tested before ten were picked. But for the New Years party scene, Paul Z would have more fun. "I was able to create some clothing for that scene that would have been worn by royalty, the rich, the crew and many other types of passengers. I needed to come up with many different costumes that would be worn at such a celebration aboard a large cruiser. I decided the only way I could do this correctly was to take a sea voyage myself. It was there that I got a great many of my ideas.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Am I the only one who feels like this OSCAR MONTH has been especially hollow and meaningless?

Yes.

I for one am sick of the constant whining and complaining about 31 Days of Oscar when everybody knows what they're going to get every year.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Fedya said:

Yes.

I for one am sick of the constant whining and complaining about 31 Days of Oscar when everybody knows what they're going to get every year.

The point is, though, that they don't like what they're getting. True though is ... it's a too oft lament and it does get old. The extent of the sentiment is sometimes over the top. Oh, gosh, it's 31 Days of Oscar again, time to  take my walks to the Laundromat and watch all the washes. Time to take the TV to the attic, there is nothing to watch. Time to engage the hibernation cycle, wake me up in March. Or this ... Oh boy, now I have something else to beech about. The one legitimate gripe though is ... no Noir Alley auuuuuugggghhhhh! Even I can feel a slight sting there. It IS annoying when special events, holidays, etc., pre-empt favorite regular features. Grrr! Now I'm doing it.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, laffite said:

The one legitimate gripe though is ... no Noir Alley auuuuuugggghhhhh! Even I can feel a slight sting there. It IS annoying when special events, holidays, etc., pre-empt favorite regular features. Grrr! Now I'm doing it.

I miss the Imports too.

• Like 1

this is maybe a premiere? I know KATY JURADO got a supporting actress nomination for it soon after some felt she was overlooked for one HIGH NOON (in all honesty, I don't like HIGH NOON and think she is pretty terrible in it.)

8:00 PM

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Edward Dmytryk. Spencer Tracy, Robert Wagner, Jean Peters, Richard Widmark, Katy Jurado, Hugh O'Brian, Eduard Franz, Earl Holliman, E. G. Marshall. Tracy is superlative in tight-knit script (by Richard Murphy, from an Oscar-winning Philip Yordan story) about patriarchal rancher who finds he's losing control of his cattle empire and his family is fragmenting into warring factions. Remake of HOUSE OF STRANGERS (although it owes more to King Lear!). CinemaScope.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Fedya said:

Yes.

NO,  Lorna.

Saturday, February 29

walter-george.jpg?w=584

12:15 a.m.  The Sunshine Boys (1975).  though I’m not particularly a fan of Neil Simon I saw this play in London with the late Richard Griffiths and Danny DeVito and marvelled at how De Vito just had to walk on the stage and the entire audience burst into laughter.

Sunday, March 1/2

great-expectations-lg.jpg

4 a.m.  Great Expectations (1946).  Finlay Currie as Magwitch and Martita Hunt as Miss Havisham are standouts in this David Lean classic.

• Like 3

Monday, March 2

7d7453d6-b46b-40fe-80b3-52ec14a3281d-102

10:30 a.m.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962).  Great David Lean film with one of my favourite supporting performances of all time by Omar Sharif.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, March 2

7d7453d6-b46b-40fe-80b3-52ec14a3281d-102

10:30 a.m.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962).  Great David Lean film with one of my favourite supporting performances of all time by Omar Sharif.

Despite the many awards for Lawrence, including David Lean's for Best Director,  Lean was crushed that Omar Sharif did not win the Oscar.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:53 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I miss the trashy and/or under-the-radar OUTRAGEOUS or little-known stuff, although the scheduling for UNDERGROUND had been disappointing before February.

I'm still a bit disappointed that Making Mr Right wasn't on Demand after it aired on Underground in December. I saw the first 15 minutes or so of it, and it had that certain pop to it.

Tuesday, March 3/4

12:15 a.m.   Say Amen, Somebody (1982).  I’ve been looking for this rarity for quite some time.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, March 3/4

12:15 a.m.   Say Amen, Somebody (1982).  I’ve been looking for this rarity for quite some time.

I am completely unfamiliar with this title.

I really wish they had scheduled it at the midnight hour when March 2nd becomes the 3rd as a BRILLIANT TROLL on the fact THAT OSCAR MONTH WILL BE FINALLY OVER!

• Haha 2