Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Pink Horses is a Criterion release. Your library may have it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

It wasnt all that great...... [RTPH]

...but not all that bad, either. It is quirky enough to enjoy. I was with it the whole time.

'Course how could I abandon it and risk missing another look at Andrea King. I'm mad about her. My new fantasy-heroine. I wish I could pull a PURPLE ROSE and walk right on that screen. I would look her up and say, "Command me." She is of the type to have an erotically imperious nature. But to me she would probably just say "Get Lost." I would have taken up with her in that subterfuge she proposed. She is total femme fatale and would surely betray me but it might be an adventure. It would be worth it just to hang around. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Pink Horses is a Criterion release. Your library may have it. 

I also am a Criterion subscriber, so I'll check on there too.  Thanks.

• Like 1

LOL. Yeah, she was good. Too bad there wasn't enough of her. I couldn't figure out if she was working with Fred Clark or not. The jump seemed to imply she was, but then she was trying to get Montgomery to ask for more dough too. Maybe she was playing both ends.

50 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I also am a Criterion subscriber, so I'll check on there too.  Thanks.

I didn't find it on The Criterion Channel, but I did find it for free on a Roku channel called TVTime Adventure.  They are showing the Criterion version (at least their logo shows at the beginning)

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/556394/tvtime-adventure-films

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, March 11

81301.jpg

10:30 a.m.  Desirable (1934).  With Jean Muir and George Brent.

• Like 1

WEDNESDAY AT 8:00 AM:

tw1.jpgYAAAAAAAAAAAS MYRNA!

THIRTEEN WOMEN- 1932. Worth seeing for its curiosity value (IRENE DUNNE in her ONLY SUSPENSE THRILLER[I think]; and a small role for PEG ENTWHISTLE (sp?) who JUMPED FROM THE HOLLYWOOD SIGN and one of SMOKEY EYE PIONEER  MYRNA LOY'S early WICKED ASIAN DRAGON LADY [gong sound] roles.)

IT'S NOT GOOD THOUGH- IN SPITE OF WHAT THE ABOVE PIC MAY SUGGEST

Maybe it was before they edited it to HOLY HELL- the existing version is (as I recall) only an hour and it feels like a lot is missing (see also: MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, although I like that movie a lot.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIRTEEN WOMEN- 1932. Worth seeing for its curiosity value (IRENE DUNNE in her ONLY SUSPENSE THRILLER[I think]; and a small role for PEG ENTWHISTLE (sp?) who JUMPED FROM THE HOLLYWOOD SIGN and one of SMOKEY EYE PIONEER  MYRNA LOY'S early WICKED ASIAN DRAGON LADY [gong sound] roles.)

Maybe it was before they edited it to HOLY HELL- the existing version is (as I recall) only an hour and it feels like a lot is missing (see also: MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, although I like that movie a lot.)

Hard to resist this film since Myrna is so evil!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Hard to resist this film since Myrna is so evil!!  

Yes she was a nasty little minx, wasn't she?

Hard to believe it was the same woman who played the patient wife in both THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE.

Which proves what a great actress she was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes she was a nasty little minx [in THIRTEEN WOMEN], wasn't she?

Hard to believe it was the same woman who played the patient wife in both THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE.

to its credit (somewhat) they do a fair enough job assessing the racism that LOY'S character has experienced in THIRTEEN WOMEN to make her so eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeville (gong sound.)

HOWEVER "Don't be racist or the people you're racist about will  methodically plot to some day kill you and your family" is admittedly a message with mixed effectiveness.

EDIT- But hey, if it worked for someone....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes she was a nasty little minx, wasn't she?

Mr. Blanding’s is one of my favorite Cary Grant performances. The well digging was hilarious. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Mr. Blanding’s is one of my favorite Cary Grant performances. The well digging was hilarious. 

Yehhhhhhhp. 

lol. 

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, they cut about 10 minutes from the film. Not sure about the details. It's more like 9 WOMEN. The cut footage is lost. :(

What was Myrna's characters name in the film again? I've forgotten. IT IS WRITTEN..........

Edited: URSULA GEORGI! (I looked it up) A Femme Fatale name if I've ever seen one!

Thursday, March 12/13

fbf659e418a210eab88d5c2c86984330.jpg

5:45 a.m.  Strange Justice (1932).  Not given good reviews but the cast isn’t bad: Marian Marsh, Reginald Denny, Richard Bennett and a couple of directors, Norman Foster and Irving Pichel.

• Thanks 1

Friday, March 13

Dime-with-a-Halo-1963-8x10-black.jpg

7 a.m.  Dime With a Halo (1963).  Boris Sagal film that has very divided reviews on the imdb.

THE BARBARIAN (1932)

Myrna Loy and Ramon Novarro

Anyone who hasn't seen this might take advantage. Some interesting scenes (to say the least).

Thur March 12 @ 11pm PST.

• Like 2

I actually rewatched THIRTEEN WOMEN (1932) and liked it much, much better this time around- a very strange movie on many fronts..did not know it was a SELZNICK production!

Just noticed that today (Mar 12) is Troy Donahue day.  Yuck!  Other than Sandra Dee, I like all the female leads, but Donahue is hard to accept.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually rewatched THIRTEEN WOMEN (1932) and liked it much, much better this time around- a very strange movie on many fronts..did not know it was a SELZNICK production!

I wonder why they hacked it to death? It wasnt long to begin with (around 75 mins).

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Just noticed that today (Mar 12) is Troy Donahue day.  Yuck!  Other than Sandra Dee, I like all the female leads, but Donahue is hard to accept.

Leads in what? What are you referring to?

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Cid means the female leads in the Donahue films being shown today.      Funny but the only one of these young actresses that I'm a fan of is Suzanne Pleshette.

The others like Connie Steavens,  Joey Heatherton  etc..   don't impress me much.

• Like 1

Oh, OK. I thought he meant it was his birthday.

55 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The women in the Troy Donahue  movies on today:  A Summer Place, Susan Slade, Parrish and A Distant Trumpet.  Not sure that I have seen My Blood Runs Cold.