Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I wonder why they hacked [THIRTEEN WOMAN (1932)] to death? It wasnt long to begin with (around 75 mins).

THERE are some things in the source novel- like a lesbian subplot- that were maybe shot and excised...? I doubt it's still in print, but i think it made something of a splash when it came out.

in case you missed my post, i rewatched THIRTEEN WOMEN and liked it better this time, maybe knowing what its shortcomings were helped me to focus on its strengths. there's a nifty little SPEED-like scenario (1932 style) and LOY WORKS THE Bto the I to the T to the C to the H GODDESS THING AS HARD AS SHE DOES IN MASK OF FU MANCHU.

SADLY NO WHIPPING IN THIS ONE THOUGH.

• Haha 2

I found an old decaying copy in the library, but I never got around to reading it. Maybe that's why Peg jumped, they cut her part to shreds. I doubt they would've shot any lesbian plotting. Just bugs me when films get cut for no apparent reason. Couldnt have been for LENGTH. IT IS WRITTEN!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TheCid said:

Just noticed that today (Mar 12) is Troy Donahue day.  Yuck!  Other than Sandra Dee, I like all the female leads, but Donahue is hard to accept.

The movies are enjoyably bad, like Susan Slade.  But that one really needed Susan Hayward in the Dorothy McGuire part.

Watched A Distant Trumpet.  Primarily because I like Westerns and especially Suzanne Pleshette.   Not a bad movie, but not all that good either.  It was interesting, but someone other than Donahue could have done so much more with the role.  However, the script was not too good either and his character was way too puritanical, officious and by the book.  Maybe someone else could have taken the same characterization and done better with it.

I have always thought that somehow Pleshette just never got the right roles, direction or something.  She seems so much better than the shows in which she appeared.  She was very good in The Bob Newhart Show, but I didn't like that series as much as I liked the latter Newhart.  Would like to have seen her as Newhart's wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, March 14

340?cb=20171130011058

10 a.m.  Popeye: Puttin’ on the Act (1940).

cassidy.jpg

10:30  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969).  He was right, there are no rules in a knife fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Hibi said:

I found an old decaying copy [OF THIRTEEN WOMAN BY TIFFANY THAYER]in the library, but I never got around to reading it. Maybe that's why Peg jumped, they cut her part to shreds. I doubt they would've shot any lesbian plotting. Just bugs me when films get cut for no apparent reason. Couldnt have been for LENGTH. IT IS WRITTEN!

OH LEMME KNOW HOW IT IS!!!!!

In the imdb TRIVIA SECTION for THIRTEEN WOMEN, it lists what the cuts were, but since you got your mitts on a copy of the book, i don't wanna risk SPOILING ANYTHING.

Well, I wound up returning it I had it so long, but don't tell me! I never got around to reading it. The book seemed substantial (more than an hours movie length!) Maybe I'll check it out again. Speaking of libraries our local one is closing. Pretty soon nowhere to go. :(

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, I wound up returning it I had it so long, but don't tell me! I never got around to reading it. The book seemed substantial (more than an hours movie length!) Maybe I'll check it out again. Speaking of libraries our local one is closing. Pretty soon nowhere to go. :(

How big is the library where you live (or size of the town/city)?  That's sad news, indeed, especially as I increasingly feel like we live in the United States of Idiots!  I live next door to a town of 6,000 which is transitioning from its 1904 Carnegie Library building to a former bank building that was constructed in 1967.  The new location is more easily handicapped and disability accessible than the current location, and it has an elevator to the basement.  However, the main floor has to be shored up to accommodate the weight of the books that will be housed there.  It shouldn't open for another year or two. 

I live in a fairly large city (around a million, counting the metro area) so it's a large system. The idiot governor here has declared no groups over a hundred. I'm not sure if that pertains to movie theaters or not. I know stage performances here are now cancelled. Will ushers have to count people and limit to a hundred? It's just too crazy. I'm still going to do what I want to do. I'm hitting the stores later to see what's left.......

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I live in a fairly large city (around a million, counting the metro area) so it's a large system. The idiot governor here has declared no groups over a hundred. I'm not sure if that pertains to movie theaters or not. I know stage performances here are now cancelled. Will ushers have to count people and limit to a hundred? It's just too crazy. I'm still going to do what I want to do. I'm hitting the stores later to see what's left.......

I see.  I know Ohio has been pretty aggressive in trying to get large gatherings of people to cancel or postpone their events.  I thought you meant your library was closing forever, instead of temporarily closing due to coronavirus concerns.

Oh, no. Sorry. I should've been more clear. Its closing till sometime in April. Schools are out; college students being kicked out of dorms. Just chaos.

• Thanks 1

Monday, March 16

00b_CruiseoftheZaca.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Cruise of the Zaca (1952).  Interesting short subject by Errol Flynn aboard his schooner.

• Like 2
On 3/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, Hibi said:

In the Washington DC area, all the movie theater chains have announced that they're open for now, but will limit ticket sales to 50%  capacity. I'm going to a movie later today; we'll see how that works. And I went to the grocery store yesterday, which was a bad idea--milk cleared out and produce section ravaged.

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, March 16

00b_CruiseoftheZaca.jpg

1:15 p.m.  Cruise of the Zaca (1952).  Interesting short subject by Errol Flynn aboard his schooner.

This documentary is actually footage spliced together from TWO trips taken by Flynn on the Zaca, though the documentary makes it appear to be just one voyage. There was a large degree of friction aboard as the first trip continued, particularly between Flynn's second wife (Nora Eddington) and artist John Decker, a rowdy long time friend of the actor. That friendship pretty well died with this trip, with Decker dying soon afterward.

Flynn, however, was very proud of this documentary and spent far more time writing about it in his autobiography than he did in discussing some of his most famous films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

late Sun., 3-15                                      TCM Imports....

2:00 AM (ET)

Big City, The (1963)

Synopsis: Life at home changes when a housewife from a middle-class, conservative family in Calcutta gets a job as a salesperson.

DirSatyajit Ray CastMadhabi Mukherjee , Anil Chatterjee , Haradhan Banerjee .

"......Despite The Big City touching on so many culturally charged themes, Ray didn't make a movie about a cause, a simple political narrative with characters as mouthpieces for each individual position. Rather, he crafted out of Mitra's story a study of a family, and friendship, between co-workers and spouses alike. And a study in courage, as Arati embraces her new role but also stands by her ideals without flinching. It is a beautiful film, one that reminded the world, once again, of the greatness of Satyajit Ray and the poetry of his art. "

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68642/Big-City-The/articles.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

late Sun., 3-15                                      TCM Imports....

2:00 AM (ET)

Big City, The (1963)

Synopsis: Life at home changes when a housewife from a middle-class, conservative family in Calcutta gets a job as a salesperson.

DirSatyajit Ray CastMadhabi Mukherjee , Anil Chatterjee , Haradhan Banerjee .

"......Despite The Big City touching on so many culturally charged themes, Ray didn't make a movie about a cause, a simple political narrative with characters as mouthpieces for each individual position. Rather, he crafted out of Mitra's story a study of a family, and friendship, between co-workers and spouses alike. And a study in courage, as Arati embraces her new role but also stands by her ideals without flinching. It is a beautiful film, one that reminded the world, once again, of the greatness of Satyajit Ray and the poetry of his art. "

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68642/Big-City-The/articles.html

I am oh so ready to see this one again. Look for an interesting performance by Vicky Redwood who plays Edith Simmons, the "bad" influence. I believe this is the only picture she made. Info on her is sketchy and I fancy, though don't know for sure, that Ray scouted the locals for a girl who had an authentic Anglo-Indian accent and recruited her for this picture. She does well and on top of that she is a sweetie, home-spun style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, March 17

Here we go again, St. Patrick’s Day.  But no St. David’s, St. Andrew’s or even Canada Day.

flightofthedoves_wemighthavemadeit_FC_47

10 a.m.  Flight of the Doves (1971).  With Ron Moody, Dorothy McGuire and Jack Wild.  I’ve never seen this one.

Me, either, Bogie. I'll have to check that one out.  There are some interesting films on for St. Patrick's Day, even for those allergic to great globs of stage Irish sentimentality. The Girl with Green Eyes is a nice vehicle for Rita Tushingham, the perfect example of what the French call a jolie laide (literally, an ugly girl who is pretty);  Odd Man Out is a classic film noir, one of Carol Reed's best; and Young Cassidy is a film where the sum of the parts adds up to much more than the whole, thanks to a staggeringly talented cast. You even have the chance to see the young Maggie Smith play a romantic heroine. What a beautiful creamy complexion she had, and lovely red hair. Watching this film, you would never imagine that she would eventually come to be best known for campy comedy.

• Like 1

Thursday, March 19

winchester73_shootout.jpg?w=788

11:30 p.m.  Winchester ’73 (1950).  Superb Anthony Mann western with Jimmy Stewart.  Good support from Stephen McNally, Dan Duryea and Millard Mitchell.

• Thanks 1

Friday, March 20

Peggy+Cummins+takes+aim+-+Gun+Crazy.PNG

10:30 a.m.  Gun Crazy (1950).  Featuring John Dall and the girl from Wales, Peggy Cummins (1925-2017).

• Like 3