Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, March 31

Baseball movies.  Was it supposed to be opening day, or something?

Yup.

They played a bunch of baseball themed eps on SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO, including a version of PRIDE OF THE YANKEES.

tonight at 8:00

wonder what the kids at the MGM CHILDREN'S MATINEE PRESENTATION thought of a CRAGGY, HOMICIDAL ROBERT RYAN?

edit- or the guy who gets electrocuted at 1:41 in the trailer for- AGAIN- this CHILDREN'S MATINEE FILM.

Wednesday, April 1

A full day of Kurosawa !

5-hidden-robot-fortress1.jpg

10 a.m.  The Hidden Fortress (1959).  One of Kurosawa’s best Samurai pictures and the inspiration for the Star Wars plot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, April 1

A full day of Kurosawa !

It also happens to be Toshiro Mifune's centennial birthday! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

It also happens to be Toshiro Mifune's centennial birthday! :)

Happy Birthday to Toshiro Mifune.

Battle+of+the+Japan+Sea02.jpg

• Like 2

Although you can't go wrong watching any of the Kurosawa/ Toshiro Mifune films, I'd like to put in a special plug for Stray Dog, especially for lovers of film noir. Cop and criminal are both veterans of the war that Japan just lost. The culture is in crisis. If you notice the variety of music in the film, that's another indication of how the victors are influencing the culture of the vanquished.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Happy Birthday to Toshiro Mifune.

Battle+of+the+Japan+Sea02.jpg

Who's in the pic, cuz that ain't Mifune!

toshiro-mifune-in-the-samurai-trilogy.jp

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who's in the pic, cuz that ain't Mifune!

He's Japanese. Close enough.

(Sorry, I had a Trump moment there).

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

It's from "Battle of the Japan Sea"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064733/

Yeah, but that isn't Toshiro Mifune in that posted pic. Here he is from that movie, with a gray beard:

Battle+of+the+Japan+Sea01.jpg

I'm not sure who the guy you posted is, but it isn't either Tatsuya Nakadai or Chishu Ryu, who are also in the movie. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, but that isn't Toshiro Mifune in that posted pic. Here he is from that movie, with a gray beard:

Battle+of+the+Japan+Sea01.jpg

I'm not sure who the guy you posted is, but it isn't either Tatsuya Nakadai or Chishu Ryu, who are also in the movie. 

That was him? He was only 49 in 1969 though. I thought he was the younger looking one.

Thursday, April 2/3

MV5BMWI5NTA0OTAtZmNjYS00ZjQ2LWFjZjctYjQ5

2:15 a.m.  Fingers (1978).  James Toback film with Harvey Keitel, Tisa Farrow, Jim Brown, Michael V. Gazzo and the late Danny Aiello (1933-2019).

21 hours ago, kingrat said:

Although you can't go wrong watching any of the Kurosawa/ Toshiro Mifune films, I'd like to put in a special plug for Stray Dog, especially for lovers of film noir. Cop and criminal are both veterans of the war that Japan just lost. The culture is in crisis. If you notice the variety of music in the film, that's another indication of how the victors are influencing the culture of the vanquished.

at the risk of sounding like that pretentious guy who heard two good songs by a band and is now an AUTHORITY:

I have seen SEVEN SAMURAI and RASHOMAN and both are far and away the best two foreign films I have ever seen. They are both GAME CHANGING, REVOLUTIONARY FILMS which transcend the medium with the achievements made by all in documenting and explaining JAPAN.

They also have some of the best acting i have ever seen.

genuinely, in watching both- I often think of what a contribution  they made to the rehabilitation of JAPAN'S IMAGE and an understanding of some notion of their history a in post-WWII world (all historical films should be taken with a grain of salt, and if you don't trust me on that, JUST WATCH RASHOMAN.)

they are art. KURASAWA is a legit visionary and TOSHIRO MIFUNE is not an actor- HE IS A FORCE OF ****ING NATURE.

I really want to see YOIJIMBO and RAN- the latter I'm planning on renting off amazon prime; it never seems to air on TCM.

• Like 2

EDIT: ALSO, the RASHOMAN inspired episode of MAMA'S FAMILY titled "RASHOMAMA" is also highly recommended

latest?cb=20100628053158

• Haha 1

Friday, April 3/4

eaZIIkkidleOEnCmohNV6TzEK2A.jpg

2 a.m.  Cover Me Babe (1970).  With the late Robert Forster (1941-2019).

Saturday, April 4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAhB8A0ouNXLYtJeeCpy4

10 a.m.  Popeye: Poopdeck Pappy (1940).

Two from Peter Bogdanovich.  Does anyone know if he is going to be on the show discussing them?

MV5BMzc0NGQ0ZDYtNzAwYS00YTA3LWEyMmMtMmZk

8 p.m.  Targets (1968).   With Boris Karloff.

Last_Picture_Show_Cybill_Shepherd.JPG

10 p.m.  The Last Picture Show (1971).  Terrific performances by the entire cast in this.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'M bummed that neither THE HIDDEN FORTRESS nor STRAY DOGS has shown up ON DEMAND.

I’m not sure if you’ve looked lately, but they’re both onDemand.

35 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I’m not sure if you’ve looked lately, but they’re both onDemand.

Thanks, I should’ve specified Hulu on demand- I don’t have cable anymore (Modern life is so confusing!)

they did offer YOJIMBO tho and I watched it last night. 

TARGETS is AMAZING. I’ve raved about it here before. I was starting to think we’d never see it again on TCM because of its sensitive subject matter- mass shootings

For Tuesday, I want to see Address Unknown, a rarely aired anti-Nazi film. I've heard it mentioned alongside None Shall Escape, which I liked a lot, so I'll give it a try.

Sunday, April 5

1278654_landscape.jpg

midnight.  The Scar of Shame (1927).  This one looks very interesting.

lone-wolf-and-cub-sword-of-vengeance

2 a.m.  Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972).    Really enjoyable wacky Samurai series with Pythonesque geysers of blood.

lonewolfandcub-riverstyx.png

3:30 a.m.  Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972).  The best in the series IMO.

• Like 1