Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, April 6

A day of films featuring Scotland.  Why not do this on November 30th?  TCM does something for St. Patrick’s day every year.

659id_032_w1600.jpg

8 a.m.  Tunes of Glory (1960).   Ronald Neame film with Alec Guiness, John Mills, Dennis Price, Kay Walsh, Gordon Jackson and a young Susannha York

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, April 7

6ab75934935c40f6dad732e6bf176b2e.jpg

8 p.m.  Cry of the City (1948).  I saw a restored print of this at the BFI Southbank a few years ago and was very impressed.

• Thanks 3

For late Monday night, I like Till the End of Time. Solid script and direction, Guy Madison is stunningly handsome, and Robert Mitchum is excellent as the buddy with PTSD.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, April 7

6ab75934935c40f6dad732e6bf176b2e.jpg

8 p.m.  Cry of the City (1948).  I saw a restored print of this at the BFI Southbank a few years ago and was very impressed.

Cry of the City is a fine noir;  Gritty with excellent photography of NYC (right up there with Sweet Smell of Success) that reflects the title.   

All the acting is first rate with Victor Mature,   Peter Conte ,  Shelley Winter, and Debra Paget.     Berry Kroeger has another good scummy role like he did with Gun Crazy  and Act of Violence.          But the real show stopper is Hope Emerson as,  well,    one just has to see it!        If you haven't seen it and you're on the east-coast,   make dinner early and watch this one while eating a juicy steak!

Cry of the City (20th Century Fox, 1948). British Quad (29.75" X ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

April 7, 6:00 AM ET, The Killer Shrews.  Very entertaining, especially the shrews.

Part of a day of SciFi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

April 7, 6:00 AM ET, The Killer Shrews.  Very entertaining, especially the shrews.

Part of a day of SciFi.

Never seen this 1959 film.    Does James Best get to play guitar in this one?

Wednesday, April 8

Annex%20-%20Marx%20Brothers%20(Big%20Sto

7 a.m.  The Big Store (1941).  Even a lesser Marx Bros. film is better than most.  Quite possibly Harpo’s best solo musical moment.

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Never seen this 1959 film.    Does James Best get to play guitar in this one?

I don't recall.  We have it on one of those 50________movie DVD sets.

Thursday, April 9

MV5BNTE3YmY4NjctN2IwYy00M2FiLTk5OGItMGM5

7:45 a.m.  Expensive Women (1931).  Apparently the last star vehicle for Dolores Costello.

Friday, April 10

Dp74dSFU0AAGL9C.jpg

4 p.m.  Genius at Work (1946).  No, it’s not the Donald Trump story.  Radio detective comedy with Bela Lugosi.

bmwm2.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Black Mama, White Mama (1973).  With Pam Grier.

• Like 2

Saturday, April 11

Popeye_the_Sailor_Eugene_the_Jeep-336146

10 a.m.  Popeye: Eugene, the Jeep (1940).

with Peter Bogdanovich

Cm2ozswWgAAuohz.jpg

10 p.m.  Paper Moon (1973).  By all rights this could have been a disaster but Bogdanovich pulled it off.

• Like 3

It might get overlooked with the Bogdanovich films tonight, or even the rather meh Beyond a Reasonable Doubt on Noir Alley, which looks like a TV show of the time,  but late night tonight has one of my favorite guilty pleasures, The Silver Chalice. Paul Newman is not very good in it, but Jack Palance and Virginia Mayo are most enjoyable villains, and the sets and set decorations are great.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kingrat said:

It might get overlooked with the Bogdanovich films tonight, or even the rather meh Beyond a Reasonable Doubt on Noir Alley, which looks like a TV show of the time,  but late night tonight has one of my favorite guilty pleasures, The Silver Chalice. Paul Newman is not very good in it, but Jack Palance and Virginia Mayo are most enjoyable villains, and the sets and set decorations are great.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt is worth watching because it is a noir directed by Lang and starring Dana Andrews,   but it is my least favorite noir from either of them.

• Like 1

Sunday, April 12

barabbas-1962-shutterstock-editorial-587

7:30 a.m.  Barabbas (1962).  Better than expected biblical.

more-action-from-Lone-wolf-and-Cub.jpg

2:45 a.m.  Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (1972).

A funny light-hearted romantic comedy in the afternoon 12:00PM EST to be exact, I want to give a big shout-out to The Mating Game(1959, Dir George Marshall) starring the every so crazy and rambunctious Debbie Reynolds and the mild mannered Tony Randall.  The film is loosely adapted from a British novel titled, The Darling Buds of May(1958) that was later more faithfully turned into a mini-series starring Catherine-Zeta Jones during the early 1990s. It's a relatively rare Debbie Reynolds movie(as opposed to her most commonly shown films Singin' in the Rain and The Unsinkable Molly Brown) that plays on TCM maybe 3 times at the most every year so its definitely worth a watch when it swings around on a schedule.  The character actors are absolutely amazing with Paul Douglas(his last role before death) as Pop Larkin, the ever so feisty Una Merkel as Ma Larkin who was typically cast as Debbie Reynold's mom during the 1950s(I Love Melvin(1953), and Bundle of Joy(1956)) Another fun trivia fact is the little brother who plays Grant Larkin(Donald Losby) ends up in a later lesser known Debbie Reynolds movie(How Sweet it is, 1968) now appearing as her teenage son. It's clear that Debbie has some explaining to do...

Fred Clark, a very recognizable character actor plays Tony Randall's boss and even the great Charles Lane even makes an appearance as a head supervisor. 

The story is basically the unconventional Larkin family trying to explain to an IRS guy(sent by their uptight neighbor) why they don't file income taxes and complete zaniness ensues, very screwball comedy-like. Debbie Reynolds does probably one of her best physical comedy performances riding a horse over fences and jumping out of barns, wrestling with a bunch of guys and landing on haystacks and lassos people. This historically was the first film she made a few weeks after she officially divorced Eddie Fisher(he for some odd reason managed to snatch Elizabeth Taylor, ::millennial scratches head cause she doesn't understand how he managed to get with these beautiful women::) 

Anyway, its on a very non-peak time of 12:00PM EST or if you live on the west coast like me, a very early 9:00AM PST. Enjoy it for all the light-heartedness it provides and hope to hear how you liked it. 

TheMatingGame02.thumb.jpg.b44500a182885d0138fcc95e4ae0c465.jpg

• Thanks 1

Photo for the ages.    As for the film:  I really like the interplay between Reynolds and Randell.    The Paul Douglas character sometimes getting on my nerves.   Just a little too-much of a Beverly Hillbilly vibe but his acting is solid.

image.jpeg

Monday, April 13

0474ef0cd81fa3a27faa93ecd03c10ca.gif

6 a.m.  Love Is Better Than Ever (1952).  Sounds a bit iffy but I bet Liz Taylor looks terrific in it.

• Like 1

Tuesday, April 14/15

A day of amnesia films which are only vaguely familiar for some nagging reason that I cannot put my finger on, then ... Clifton Webb night!

webb.jpg

1:30 a.m.  Sitting Pretty (1948).  Our introduction to Lynn Belvedere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, April 15/16

d3b817b57144a2d90e9b37aec976e1da.jpg

3:30 a.m.  The Citadel (1938).   Great cast in this version of the A.J. Cronin novel: Robert Donat, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Richardson, Francis L. Sullivan, Rex Harrison and Emlyn Williams.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 6:51 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, April 14/15

A day of amnesia films which are only vaguely familiar for some nagging reason that I cannot put my finger on, then ... Clifton Webb night!

webb.jpg

Also at 8:00 pm- CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN (1950)- a TCM Premiere? A Fox film? WEBB is improbably cast as a FATHER OF 12 opposite MYRNA LOY and- a sign of the times- it was a HUGE BOX OFFICE HIT- one of the top five of the year.

MANY YEARS AGO i read the biographical book on which it is based and i am thinking the film MUST differ quite a bit from it

The father died of a heart attack while many of the children were still young and is largely absent from the book.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, mr6666 said:

:)

Refuse to watch that show!

:D  LOVED that!  "One of our charming hosts.....OR Eddie!"   :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 6:51 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, April 14/15

webb.jpg

I really like The Man Who Never Was, which I think is a TCM premiere.

• Like 2

Thursday, April 16

list_page_main.jpg

2:15 p.m.  Last of the Pagans (1935).  With Inuit star, Mala playing a Polynesian.  I’ve been looking for this one for some time.