Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Friday, April 17

Harold-Outline.jpg

8 p.m.  Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015).  A look at two of film’s unsung heroes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, April 18

What, no Popeye?  No Peter Bogdanovich?  This is the second day in a row that TCM has thrown out the original schedule.

LDhLZ3a5RjMfvN2pIddxS2xqWD2c1F_original.

2:30 a.m.  The Lady Vanishes (1938).  Really slick Hitchcock thriller with Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, April 18

What, no Popeye?  No Peter Bogdanovich?  This is the second day in a row that TCM has thrown out the original schedule.

It's because they replaced this weekend's schedule with the "TCM Classic Film Festival - Home Edition" programming. 

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, April 18

source.gif

• Haha 1

Sunday, April 19

Thanks to LawrenceA for the explanation as to why the original weekend schedule was ripped up.  Let’s how they re-schedule Lone Wolf and Cub.

floyd-norman-an-animated-life

8 p.m.  Floyd Norman: An Animated Life (2016).

• Like 2

Tuesday, April 21

The-Vanishing.jpg

6 a.m.  The Vanishing (1988).  The Dutch original according to the schedule.  Creepy and worth seeing.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, April 22

celebrating Earth Day.

Koyaanisqatsi-768x1138.jpg

8 p.m.  Koyaanisqatsi (1982).  The influence of its cinematography was astounding especially in the world of advertising.

• Like 3

Thursday, April 23

220px-Primary_DVD.jpg

11:15 a.m.  Primary (1960).  A famous documentary that I have been looking forward to seeing some day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, April 24

the-halfnaked-truth-lobbycard-lee-tracy-

12:45 p.m.  The Half Naked Truth (1932).  With Lee Tracy.

Bogie, I think this film is delightful. Good choice!

59 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Bogie, I think this film is delightful. Good choice!

I missed it when it aired on LUPE VELEZ day one SUTS and was bummed. I adore her and, frankly, I like LEE TRACY an awful lot as well- he plays awful people so endearingly.

Saturday, April 25

47cc9d2aa169e0bbbaaf2cc84ffa6eaf--the-sa

10 a.m.  Problem Pappy (1941).

a-face-in-the-crowd.jpg?w=700

5:45 p.m.  A Face In the Crowd (1957).  A loudmouth populist enters politics and somehow hoodwinks unsuspecting Americans.  Unbelievable.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Cookie (1989) is the second half of TCM Underground tonight  and its worth a look. Not a major film, but nice sharp playing by Emily Lloyd, Peter Falk, Dianne Wiest and Brenda Vaccaro makes it a fun little comedy.

And not something that belongs on TCM Underground. I guess they just wanted another Susan Seidelman film to pair with the more appropriate Smithereens

• Thanks 1
Just now, LawrenceA said:

And not something that belongs on TCM Underground. I guess they just wanted another Susan Seidelman film to pair with the more appropriate Smithereens

True. Desperately Seeking Susan would have been the best fit for Smithereens of her others thematically, but that too was still a major studio production with recognizable names. Last time they aired Smithereens they teamed it up with her Making Mr. Right, also a major studio film. However, all of them do feel smaller and more Underground than She-Devil. (the prospect of Meryl Streep in a film shown on TCM Underground is very .... odd)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

True. Desperately Seeking Susan would have been the best fit for Smithereens of her others thematically, but that too was still a major studio production with recognizable names. Last time they aired Smithereens they teamed it up with her Making Mr. Right, also a major studio film. However, all of them do feel smaller and more Underground than She-Devil. (the prospect of Meryl Streep in a film shown on TCM Underground is very .... odd)

Still one of her best performances though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQ6sNlfiFs

One Robert Ryan film TCM will be showing is House of Bamboo.   This 20th Century foreign noir film has a fine cast,  with top notch Japaneses actors.    Ryan plays a character named Sandy Dawson.      I don't wish to give the plot away but Sandy's love interest in this film are all over the map.

Li Xianglan.jpgRobert Stack - still.jpg

HOUSE OF BAMBOO is airing on TCM this Sunday evening. That's tomorrow night.

It's part of a theme called Tokyo Crime.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 10.48.52 AM.png

PS:  Thanks to Top Billed for tipping me off.     I had posted that I wished TCM would show House of Bamboo just a few days ago,  without knowing it was scheduled for this Sunday. 

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Still one of her best performances though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQ6sNlfiFs

Yes, Meryl was great fun in She-Devil.... even if the scene I got the biggest kick of in the film had her in the backseat.... the scene where her mother Sylvia Miles spills all her dirty laundry to People Magazine. 

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, Meryl was great fun in She-Devil.... even if the scene I got the biggest kick of in the film had her in the backseat.... the scene where her mother Sylvia Miles spills all her dirty laundry to People Magazine. 

“That POOR BABY, she had to give it up!...A little boy.”

[PEOPLE MAGAZINE reporter gags on popcorn]

• Haha 1