Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Thursday, May 7

SOTM Edward G. Robinson

littlecaesar1930_610x329_07232013114115.

8 p.m.  Little Caesar (1930).  I have to go with breakout film.  Replaced in Canada with Outward Bound (1930).  And …

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc5Kl-8X1LW3HtvAyBPK-

12:30 a.m.  Key Largo (1948).  This is one of my favourite Edward G. performances.

• Like 2

I'm excited about the daytime Thursday schedule as well. There are four films directed by Basil Dearden I haven't seen: Sapphire, The Silent Partner, Woman of Straw, and Masquerade. The three I have seen--Victim, All Night Long, and The League of Gentlemen--are all worth investigating. Victim uses the thriller genre to make some valid points about how the English laws forbidding homosexuality actually encouraged blackmailers, and Dirk Bogarde was brave to play the lead role. All Night Long is a version of Othello set in a jazz club in London. Some famous jazz musicians make guest appearances. Nice performances by Patrick McGoohan, Betsy Blair, and Richard Attenborough. The League of Gentlemen is a heist film with a script by Bryan Forbes, who knows how to write lines that actors can use; Forbes also plays the gigolo who's part of the gang.

• Like 1

Friday, May 8

210px-Mischa_Elman_with_violin_in_1916.j

12:45 p.m.  Mischa Elman (1926).  7 minute short with the violinist.  My fascination is when this film was made - 1926.  It has to be a very early sound experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 8

210px-Mischa_Elman_with_violin_in_1916.j

12:45 p.m.  Mischa Elman (1926).  7 minute short with the violinist.  My fascination is when this film was made - 1926.  It has to be a very early sound experiment.

One of the early Vitaphone demo shorts.  There were 8 of these produced.   These were all musical shorts, and mostly classical.  They were part of a Vitaphone/Warner Bros. bill with the feature Don Juan that ran at Warners' Theatre in New YorkThis film was a silent picture that was retrofitted with a symphonic score and effects recorded via the Vitaphone process.  Side note: the only voice you heard on the program that night was that of Will Hays, for which the Hays Code was named.  He provided an introduction for the evening's affair.

This video on YouTube has this short, with an explanatory intro regarding Vitaphone, running 8:15.  It looks like TCM will just be running the actual musical performance and skipping over the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31uJT2IKsR0

• Thanks 4

Saturday, May 9

330?cb=20140321023252

10 a.m.  Popeye: Olive’s Sweepstake Ticket (1941).

acecover.0.jpg

8 p.m.  Ace In the Hole (1951).  Kirk Douglas!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 9

acecover.0.jpg

Jan Sterling's response when told by Douglas she should be seen going to church: "Kneeling bags my nylons."

• Haha 2

Sunday, May 10/11

Wajda-PZM-2016-2.jpg

2 a.m.  Wajda by Wajda (2016).  Documentary about Polish director, Andrzej Wajda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, Bogie. Ashes and Diamonds is one of the greatest films ever made. Probably the ultimate noir film, but in a historical context.

• Like 1

Monday, May 11

MV5BMTM1MTQzOTM5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI4

8 p.m.  and 10:45 p.m.  No Maps on My Taps (1979).  Documentary about tap dancers.

Bill_Bojangles_Robinson_dancing_with_Shi

midnight.  The Little Colonel (1935).  With Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:47 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 9

330?cb=20140321023252

10 a.m.  Popeye: Olive’s Sweepstake Ticket (1941).

acecover.0.jpg

Kinda ticked me off a bit when Ben and his "guest" (never did commit his name to memory) only mentioned, when discussing the movie, Billy Wilder's direction and writing, and Kirk Douglas's screen persona and presence .  And that the movie seemed(to them) to be all about focusing on how the "power of the press" can be abused.  But to me, the movie has always been about more than that.  It also strips bare the all too human foible of greed.  Greed for glory in Douglas's character, and greed for money in Sterling's character and all the "carnies" that moved in so they could profit from the tragedy too. with all the carnival rides and other concessions set up on the grounds.  AND the Sheriff's (Ray Teal) part in giving Tatum his way in order to rake in undeserved votes and remain sheriff. 

Not only the possible sate state journalism can make of itself, but also the sad state of American culture, not only in those times, but that still continues.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, kingrat said:

Thank you, Bogie. Ashes and Diamonds is one of the greatest films ever made. Probably the ultimate noir film, but in a historical context.

3:45 AM
C - 103 m

TV-14

war

Synopsis: On the last day of World War II, a Polish Resistance fighter is ordered to kill a Communist leader.
DirAndrzej Wajda CastZbigniew Cybulski , Ewa Krzyzewska , Adam Pawlikowski .

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/67693/Ashes-And-Diamonds/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Andrzej Wajda. Zbigniew Cybulski, Ewa Krzyzanowska, Adam Pawlikowski, Bogumil Kobiela, Waclaw Zastrzezynski.

Stark, intelligent, perceptive account of the Resistance movement in Poland during the closing days of WW2. Cybulski, the Polish James Dean, came into his own with his portrayal of a young Resistance fighter. The last of Wajda's War trilogy, following A GENERATION and KANAL.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, kingrat said:

My favorite of his films is Generation.

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:
3:45 AM
C - 103 m

TV-14

war

Synopsis: On the last day of World War II, a Polish Resistance fighter is ordered to kill a Communist leader.
DirAndrzej Wajda CastZbigniew Cybulski , Ewa Krzyzewska , Adam Pawlikowski .

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/67693/Ashes-And-Diamonds/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Andrzej Wajda. Zbigniew Cybulski, Ewa Krzyzanowska, Adam Pawlikowski, Bogumil Kobiela, Waclaw Zastrzezynski.

Stark, intelligent, perceptive account of the Resistance movement in Poland during the closing days of WW2. Cybulski, the Polish James Dean, came into his own with his portrayal of a young Resistance fighter. The last of Wajda's War trilogy, following A GENERATION and KANAL.

I think Maltin has it backwards, except chronologically. James Dean is the American Zbigniew Cybulski!

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, May 12

a-world-apart-1988-450x294.jpg

10 p.m.  A World Apart (1988).  Barbara Hershey, Jodi May and Linda Mvusi shared the Best Actress Award at Cannes for this.  Worth seeing.

Gaby A True Story was on the original schedule but not anymore.

Mon.,  5-11 for                                                           Tip Top Tap............

(times ET)

8:00 & 10:45 PM
B/W - 59 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:           ".......director George T. Nierenberg and writer Lynn Rogoff's tribute to three legends of tap dancing--Chuck Green, Bunny Briggs and Harold "Sandman" Sims--and to the art form itself. In the late 1970s, tap dancing was all but dead, having long fallen out of favor. What might be called the golden age of tap dancing occurred at a time when vaudeville, night clubs and legitimate theater were the stomping grounds for tap dancers and some of the most famous dancers would successfully make the transition to film, like The Nicholas Brothers, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, John "Bubbles" Sublett and Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. But society was changing in the 1950s and 1960s, and musical genres changed along with it. .....

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/480517/No-Maps-on-My-Taps/articles.html
DirGeorge T Nierenberg CastSandman Sims , Bunny Briggs , Chuck Green .

:)

On 4/30/2020 at 4:32 PM, Hibi said:

YES! Jane Russell in 3D. She'll knock BOTH your eyes out! LOL

frenchline.jpg

• Haha 1

Wednesday, May 13

MV5BOTAyZWFmMzgtM2I0Zi00M2U3LTkzNTMtMDkz

6:45 p.m.  The Expert (1932).  Haven’t seen this one and it looks interesting.  By Archie Mayo with Dickie Moore.

MV5BYWY2NTliZTItOWJmNi00ODE4LWJhMzYtNGFm

1:30 a.m.  Song of India (1949).  With Sabu and Gail Russell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, May 14

Edward G. Robinson SOTM

ed34bfd777ef67e8225644db1820ef37.jpg

8 p.m.  The Whole Town’s Talking (1935).  One of Eddy's best.

• Like 4

Friday, May 15

James Mason Day!

lolitahumbertjohn.jpg

9:45 a.m.  Lolita (1962).  Sorry Gregory Peck, but I thought James Mason gave the best performance this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 15

James Mason Day!

MMTw51GIK6LUfyJf8HVt5KwcQMAnUkS_dzuCd9J5

9:45 a.m.  Lolita (1962).  Sorry Gregory Peck, but I thought James Mason gave the best performance this year.

To-Kill-A-Mockingbird.jpg

"Scout, you can't know how a person feels about someone's performance until you've walked in his movie watching shoes."

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:51 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, May 14

Edward G. Robinson SOTM

ed34bfd777ef67e8225644db1820ef37.jpg

8 p.m.  The Whole Town’s Talking (1935).  One of Eddy's best.

I'm heavily biased but this is one of my favorite SOTMs TCM has done. Last Thursday was a smash hit for me, with The Little Giant (1933) becoming one of my new favorites. And another watch of Larceny Inc (1942) tonight, but instead of replacing Brother Orchid with a non-Edward G. Robinson movie, they could have put up any Eddy movie. Anything. I'll see if I can catch a quick nap before the last one of the early morning.

• Like 2

Saturday, May 16

MV5BM2ZkMDU1MGUtMDE4Mi00ZjgxLWIzMWItOWNh

8:08 a.m.  The Eyes Have It (1931).  Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy short.

300?cb=20131230210103

10 a.m.  Popeye: Flies Ain’t Human (1941).

MV5BMmFlZGU3YTctZmVjMi00Mzc5LTlhYjAtYTE3

11:30 a.m.  Rufus Jones For President (1933).  Short subject with Ethel Waters and Sammy Davis Jr.

general-e1539316466351.jpg

8 p.m.  The General (1925).  Buster Keaton’s masterpiece.

• Like 1

Friday 5/15-Saturday 5/16 on Underground:

A Couple of Stuart Gordon films-

From Beyond (1986)

Dolls (1987)

• Like 1

Saturday has four pretty amazing movies, all in different genres, back to back: Out of the Past, The Naked Spur, The Hill, The General.

The Hill, a brutal WWII prison camp drama--a camp the British have set up for British soldiers who have misbehaved. Sidney Lumet is one of the most inconsistent directors in film history, but this represents him in top form. Great B&W cinematography by Oswald Morris, who won a BAFTA for this, is a huge asset. Sean Connery shows that he has real acting chops, and either Harry Andrews or Ossie Davis is my favorite supporting actor for 1965.

• Like 1

Sunday, May 17/18

vadimmistercool_2016_ff_188x141_04232020

3:45 a.m.  Vadim Mister Cool (2016).  Guaranteed to have a lot of beautiful women in it.

• Like 1