Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Monday, May 18

lxBCKu7.jpg

4:15 p.m.  The Omega Man (1971).  Dystopian Chuck Heston film that was scheduled before the recent pandemic hit our shores.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 19

220px-The_Mad_Genius_1931_Poster.jpg

6 a.m.  The Mad Genius (1931).  With John Barrymore.

Barrymore has great dramatic flair in this one and Michael Curtiz's expressionist influenced visuals makes you wish that director had also been behind the camera when the Great Profile had previously played Svengali. There are drug transactions performed in pre Code shadows and a brief appearance early in the film by Boris Karloff. There's also the "excitement" of Donald Cook . . . but that's another story.

The ending is genuinely bizarre.

• Like 4

I appreciate the witty scheduling for Tuesday morning with a double feature of Grey Gardens and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Those two films belong together! A friend pointed out that Mad Love and The Red Shoes make another appropriate pairing.

• Like 1

Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz fans take note.

The film that launched the Arnaz/Ball marriage and, in a sense, the Desilu empire, is screening tonight (18 May 2020) at 1:30am ET/12:30am CT : Too Many Girls

Released by RKO in 1940, this film brought Lucy and Desi together for the first time.  Desi was in the Broadway version of the musical and was brought to Hollywood for the film.   They married a few months after the film was released.  In the 1950s, after the success of I Love Lucy made them millionaires, they bought the RKO studio properties to expand their production capabilities for their own company, Desilu.  Thereafter, Desilu Studios was used as a rental studio to film countless television properties in the 1950s and 1960s, until Lucy sold them to Gulf+Western/Paramount.

It's not a great film, but it has a couple of interesting production numbers.

This poster was not part of the original release (since Desi was a virtual unknown to the movie-going public in 1940), but I found it interesting.  The film was re-released in 1957, after Lucy and Desi were household names.  Perhaps it was part of RKO's last gasp at a cash grab before folding?

image.png.0880eb5b7e57f9764c766c5a26438d85.png

• Like 1

Too Many Girls may not be great, but it's a lot of fun.  Eddie Bracken and Ann Miller are a joy to watch together.

But Desi Arnaz as a college football player?  :lol:

56 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Too Many Girls may not be great, but it's a lot of fun.  Eddie Bracken and Ann Miller are a joy to watch together.

But Desi Arnaz as a college football player?  :lol:

They were smaller in those days... 🙂

I agree that Too Many Girls isn't great, but I enjoy watching it more than Lucy and Desi's final film together, Forever Darling.  However, both Too Many Girls or Forever Darling pales in comparison to the masterpiece that is The Long, Long Trailer.  My #1 favorite movie of all time. Re: Desi Arnaz as a football player, if Eddie Bracken can play football, so can Desi! Lol.   Desi was so cute in this film, so who cares? Lol. Look for a young Van Johnson in the crowd scenes during the musical numbers.

My favorite parts of Too Many Girls:

- The fact that there is an actor in the film named "Tiny Person."

-When Lucille Ball messes up the choreography in the big dance number at the end of the film.  It's obvious because she's in the front of the group.  

-Ann Miller and Desi Arnaz' fantastic conga number

-Ann Miller's tapping

-Frances Langford's singing

-Lucille Ball's very obvious dubbed voice

-The scene where they pull the beanies out of the cannon

-Hal LeRoy's dancing

Least favorite parts

-Richard Carlson is such a dope in this movie

-The whole Beverley Waverly thing

-The animated dancing microorganisms 

Wednesday, May 20/21

EFaOqWfXsAA-Kqr.jpg

1:15 a.m.  The Sand Pebbles (1966).  Cool Steve McQueen film in China by Robert Wise.  Great cast throughout.  Richard Crenna and Mako are stand outs.

I was at a Q&A screening of a film with Richard Attenborough and he spoke of his friendship with Steve McQueen.  He recalled that McQueen called him up with the offer of a part in The Sand Pebbles.  He laughed because the character was called "Frenchy."

• Like 1

starting at 6:00 (Eastern) it's a night at THE NUNNERY, starting with BLACK NARCISSUS and including SISTER KENNY and THE NUN'S STORY.

CRIMINALLY OMITTED IS NUNS ON THE RUN:

tumblr_inline_p5ltgnuWQB1u3ejja_540.gif

• Haha 1

Sister Kenny isn't actually a nun, which is confusing for us Americans. The British and Australian practice is to refer to all nurses as Sisters. Interesting fact: one famous person who received the Sister Kenny treatment for polio is Joni Mitchell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

Sister Kenny isn't actually a nun, which is confusing for us Americans. The British and Australian practice is to refer to all nurses as Sisters. Interesting fact: one famous person who received the Sister Kenny treatment for polio is Joni Mitchell.

Huh. 
well, at least I learned THREE things today! 

thank you!

ps- I’ve only seen a couple of scenes of SISTER KENNY And I recall Roz was struggling with the accent...Actually scratch that, “struggling” implies effort.

• Haha 1

Thursday, May 21

MV5BZTBkNmY5ZTUtZDg4Ny00NWZlLWE3OWUtMzcw

6:30 a.m.  Yellow Jack (1938).  I haven’t seen this one which is about Dr. Walter Reed’s fight to cure yellow fever.  With Robert Montgomery, Virginia Bruce, Charles Coburn and Buddy Ebsen as ‘Jellybeans’.

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Huh. 

thank you!

ps- I’ve only seen a couple of scenes of SISTER KENNY And I recall Roz was struggling with the accent...Actually scratch that, “struggling” implies effort.

Was it worse than DICK VAN DYKES'?  ;)

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Huh. 

thank you!

Aussie accents seem to be hard for Americans.  Ava Gardner's accent changed not a bit for On The Beach.  Anthony Perkins' comes and goes during the course of the film.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Was it worse than DICK VAN DYKES'?  ;)

Sepiatone

No. 
it was more of the DEBRA WINGER in SHADOWLANDS approach: Attempt accent for first few lines of dialogue, then abandon completely and get an Oscar nomination anyway. 

18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Join me & @aliciamalone
TONIGHT for #WONDERWOMEN on

!    7p CT SISTER KENNY f. Rosalind Russell    

9:15 THE GIRL IN WHITE June Allyson as Emily Dunning Barringer   

11 THE WHITE ANGEL Kay Francis as Florence Nightingale    

12:45 THE NUN'S STORY Audrey Hepburn as Sister Luke

I watched the two films I placed in bold lettering last night for the first time. Already had seen the Roz Russell and Audrey flicks before.

Have to say I enjoyed the June Allyson one (sorry DownGoesFrazier, wherever you might be) and the intros and outros supplied by our two lovely TCM hostesses.

However, I had to disagree with their assessment of Kay Francis' turn as Florence Nightinggale in the latter one. 

(...sorry ladies, but no matter how you attempted to alibi it by calling her performance "fittingly stoic", I thought Kay was just boringly bland in it and could clearly see why she was panned by the critics when this film first hit the silver screen)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

I watched the two films I placed in bold lettering last night for the first time. Already had seen the Roz Russell and Audrey flicks before.

Have to say I enjoyed the June Allyson one (sorry DownGoesFrazier, wherever you might be) and the intros and outros supplied by our two lovely TCM hostesses.

However, I had to disagree with their assessment of Kay Francis' turn as Florence Nightinggale in the latter one. 

(...sorry ladies, but no matter how you attempted to alibi it by calling her performance "fittingly stoic", I thought Kay was just boringly bland in it and could clearly see why she was panned by the critics when this film first hit the silver screen)

Sorry I missed both of those, Dargo, but Kay Francis was probably miffed that Florence Nightingale didn't get to wear the glamorous gowns Kay usually sported.

52 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Sorry I missed both of those, Dargo, but Kay Francis was probably miffed that Florence Nightingale didn't get to wear the glamorous gowns Kay usually sported.

WHAT!?! I was looking forward to seeing Florence Nightingale slink into a hospital ward wearing an Orry-Kelly.

9a6fa6c9ec004a2f1505796933fdf086.jpg

"Hello, everybody, I'm here to take your temperature. Which way do you prefer it?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

thought Kay was just boringly bland in it and could clearly see why she was panned by the critics when this film first hit the silver screen

I bet she rocked those nurses' uniforms.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

WHAT!?! I was looking forward to seeing Florence Nightingale slink into a hospital ward wearing an Orry-Kelly.

9a6fa6c9ec004a2f1505796933fdf086.jpg

"Hello, everybody, I'm here to take your temperature. Which way do you prefer it?"

Now THAT's the way Kay Francis dresses!

On 5/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I recall Roz was struggling with the accent...Actually scratch that, “struggling” implies effort.

They mentioned her complete lack of an attempt at an accent in the intro. And she definitely wasn't a nun. She had a romantic interest for part of the film.

• Thanks 1

Friday, May 22/23

MV5BMTQxNjAyMjA4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODg5

2 a.m.  The Harder They Come (1972).  I found this not as good as it was touted to be but there are not a lot of feature films out of Jamaica.