Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

They mentioned her complete lack of an attempt at an accent in the intro. And she definitely wasn't a nun. She had a romantic interest for part of the film.

re: SISTER KENNY

i AM INTRIGUED. what did they say?

really, my main takeaway from catching a chunk of this movie many years back was how OFF Roz was- not just with the accent...

BUT PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I THINK ROZ RUSSELL WAS NOT A SPLENDID ACTRESS- SHE WAS. I just wish she had worked with more directors who knew how to harness her ENERGY in the right ways- ie CUKOR and HAWKS- and re: ACCENTS there are three instances in RUSSELL'S early MGM career where she was cast in BRITISH parts (CHINA SEAS, THE CITADEL and NIGHT MUST FALL) and the accent is off there too (kind of a TONY CURTIS as CARY GRANT in SOME LIKE IT HOT thing going on)- but again, I would wager this was not a fault on her part- MGM seems to have felt for most of the thirties that ACCENTS WOULD BE HARD TO UNDERSTAND OR SOMETHING- so almost all their actors speak in MID ATLANTIC even if they're supposed to be British or Eastern European.

SPEAKING OF...

I just now see that NIGHT MUST FALL is playing  on TCM THIS MORNING!

OOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE!

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

re: SISTER KENNY

i AM INTRIGUED. what did they say?

This is just paraphrasing from my memory. I didn't record it. But I guess all these "real-life wonder women" movies are being jointly hosted by Alicia Malone and Jacqueline Stewart. Must have been recorded before the present pandemic crisis. They're sitting in the same room. They mostly talked about how the movie was a passion project for Russell, who worked with the Sister Kenny Foundation, or whatever it was called. They showed a couple of photos of the two of them together. Then some talk about the real-life Sister Kenny and how her polio treatments were the best thing going before the Salk vaccine. Malone pointed out Russell was well aware that biopics about cause crusaders were usually not cash cows, but that she felt it was film she really needed to do, although none of the studios initially showed any interest. She finally agreed to a, I think it was, three-picture deal with RKO if one of those pictures could be Sister Kenny. Finally, just before they introduced the movie, Malone said, "Here she is with absolutely no attempt at an Australian accent, Rosalind Russell as Sister Kenny." This caused both women to titter a bit, and Stewart said, "That's probably a big relief to you." I didn't really understand that comment, but it made both of them laugh much more boisterously. Malone said, "It's a difficult accent to master!" and reintroduced the film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, May 23

s-l1600.jpg

8 a.m.  Captain Caution (1940).  Victor Mature in War of 1812 saga.  Probably the most obscure of today’s films.  Replaced in Canada with Seven Days Leave (1942).

• Thanks 1

a rare ANIMATED showing.....

(premiere?)

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

a rare ANIMATED showing.....

(premiere?)

:unsure:

".......features several celebrity likenesses. Karloff and Diller's characters are both designed to look like the actors portraying them, while Baron Frankenstein's lackey, Yetch, is a physical and vocal caricature of Peter Lorre. Swift also performs impersonations when voicing his characters, such as James Stewart when voicing Felix, Sydney Greenstreet as the Invisible Man and Charles Laughton as the Freighter Captain. ...."

:)

• Thanks 1

Sunday, May 24

Vic_Damone_in_Hell_to_Eternity_trailer.j

8 p.m.  Hell to Eternity (1960).  Today’s lineup has a lot of great classics but I’m picking this one because it has Vic Damone in it!  :D

Monday, May 25

best-years-of-our-lives-11.jpg?w=600

8 p.m.  The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).  For Dargo.

• Like 1

On the TCM showing of  D-DAY, SIXTH OF JUNE, Dave Karger, in introducing the movie, pronounced British actress DANA WYNTER's name as "Donna" Wynter.

Now, for years I've pronounced it "DAYNA", as in DANA ANDREWS.  And the ABC network voice-over announcer for the '60's series 12 O'CLOCK HIGH pronounced it "DAY-NA" too(she was a guest on a few episodes).  Well..... Somebody's wrong here, so who?

IS it pronounced "Donna", or "Day-na"?  Inquiring minds want to know.  ;)

Sepiatone 

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

On the TCM showing of  D-DAY, SIXTH OF JUNE, Dave Karger, in introducing the movie, pronounced British actress DANA WYNTER's name as "Donna" Wynter.

Now, for years I've pronounced it "DAYNA", as in DANA ANDREWS.  And the ABC network voice-over announcer for the '60's series 12 O'CLOCK HIGH pronounced it "DAY-NA" too(she was a guest on a few episodes).  Well..... Somebody's wrong here, so who?

Sepiatone 

Well, to add to your confusion, my aunt (who was of Hungarian descent) used to call Dana Andrews "Donna" Andrews. Maybe it's an ethnic thing? 

• Haha 1

I thought of that amusingly, you know....calling Mr.Andrews "Donna".  As an amusing aside, my Step dad( who also was Hungarian) used to call Ms. Wynter, "That Lymie broad with the neck!"  :D  So, still not sure of the ethnic thing.  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone 

Here's a video of her on To Tell The Truth, where she pronounces her own name as Dave Karger did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cElzjDTkk

• Thanks 2

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, sewhite2000 said:

And she definitely wasn't a nun. She had a romantic interest for part of the film.

Have you seen Black Narcissus?  Or Joan Collins in Sea Wife?

7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Here's a video of her on To Tell The Truth, where she pronounces her own name as Dave Karger did.

Dana Wynter was German by birth, with her original given name being Dagmar, which is how she's credited in The Crimson Pirate.  I can easily imagine a German pronouncing that first A as in the O in Donna.

Dana Andrews, on the other hand, I can't imagine pronouncing it "Donna".

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

Have you seen Black Narcissus?  Or Joan Collins in Sea Wife?

Sea Wife is high on my list of guilty pleasures because, you know, Joan Collins is so perfectly typecast as a nun.

• Haha 1

Tuesday, May 26

708full-a-night-to-remember-(1958)-scree

7:45 a.m.  A Night to Remember (1958).  Classic Roy Ward Baker version of the Titanic sinking.  … Whoops!  I should have said Spoiler!

bc5684e6c884d2dd5c36cd8df35f4f53--brit-d

Honor Blackman (1925-2020)

15 hours ago, Fedya said:

Dana Wynter was German by birth, with her original given name being Dagmar, which is how she's credited in The Crimson Pirate.  I can easily imagine a German pronouncing that first A as in the O in Donna.

Well, surely there'd be no confusion HERE!  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 5/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Sepiatone said:

I thought of that amusingly, you know....calling Mr.Andrews "Donna".  As an amusing aside, my Step dad( who also was Hungarian) used to call Ms. Wynter, "That Lymie broad with the neck!"  :D  So, still not sure of the ethnic thing.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Actually, I think Wynter was from South Africa.

Wednesday, May 27

83387170c2b00f04d114ff762d16b04b.jpg

1:45 p.m.  The Singing Nun (1966).  With Debbie Reynolds.  Anyone seen this?  I seem to remember seeing the real nun performing on television.

singing-nun-415x358.jpg?w968

• Like 1

AND YET STILL: NO NUNS ON THE RUN.

nuns_on_the_run.jpg

WHAT R U COWARDS AFRAID OF?11111

ETA: THE FACT THAT THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE has aired TWICE NOW.

• Haha 1

THIS HAS PROBABLY ALREADY AIRED, but it showed up in my HULU feed and may be ON DEMAND-

SADIE McKEE (1934)

sadie-mckee.jpg?w=103&h=150

Which I watched a goodly part of this morning. THE MUSIC IN THIS MOVIE IS WONDERFUL, including the original song written especially for the pic-chuh** ALL I DO IS DREAM OF YOU- which (when all is said and done) may be one of my favorite songs ever. It's not without faults- same with Joan's performance- but she looks FANTASTIC, and it's nice to see her in her physical prime and in an MGM picture that wasn't entirely piffle (really, this, LETTY LYNTON, POSSESSED, THE WOMEN and DANCE FOOLS DANCE! are the only MGM films of hers worth anything...I suppose one could cite TORCH SONG as notable in its own hideous kabuki horror show way though.)

**it did not get nominated for BEST ORIGINAL SONG, and I think that was the controversial WAIKIKI WEDDING year...(?)

***I'm getting too lazy to google

sadie-mckee-1934-mgm-film-with-joan-craw"BRING ME HER HEART IN THIS BOX" CHIC

there are any number of times in watching this movie where I can totally imagine JOAN watching on a home projection system years later and waving a cigarette at the wall while SHOUTING out: "THAT'S WHAT A ***-DAMNED MOVIE STAR LOOKS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!" while managing to not spill a drop of the vodka and pepsi in her other hand.

• Like 1

Will she keep that box on the mantle next to the head of Alfredo Garcia?  ;)

Sepiatone

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Will she keep that box on the mantle next to the head of Alfredo Garcia?  ;)

Sepiatone

And her OSCAR for MILDRED PIERCE, yes.