• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Thursday, May 28

Don DeFore day.

don-defore-photofest-450x600_0.jpg?itok=

5:30 p.m.  Return From Nowhere (1944).  Amnesia short subject starring … oh… um … dash… um … it’s on the tip of my tongue …. Don DeFore !  And Peter Cushing.

scarlet-street1.jpeg

11:45 p.m.  Scarlet Street (1945).  Edward G. and Joan Bennett at her sleazy best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, May 29/30

ep05-e.jpg

5 a.m.  Shake Hands With Danger (1980).  Ouch!  Men getting mangled by machines short subject.  Sure to be a lot of laughs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 29/30

ep05-e.jpg

5 a.m.  Shake Hands With Danger (1980).  Ouch!  Men getting mangled by machines short subject.  Sure to be a lot of laughs.

I saw this one last time it aired. It's hard to believe it was made in 1980. It looks like a 1970's high school classroom PSA film.

late Fri.,  5-29                                        TCM Underground..........

2:00 AM

Chopping Mall ( 1986)

(Not shown on reg. daily schedule***)

When three high-tech security robots run amok, they trap and terrorize teenagers in a shopping mall.

Dir Steven Mitchell Cast Tony O'Dell , Gerritt Graham , Russell Todd .

BW- 76 mins, CC,

3:30 AM

Night of the Creeps ( 1986)

A student prank unleashes alien predators on a college campus.

Dir Fred Dekker Cast Jason Lively , Elizabeth Alda , Richard Dehaven .

C- 88 mins, CC,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

It's hard to believe it was made in 1980. It looks like a 1970's high school classroom PSA film.

To be fair, 1980 isn't much after the 1970s.

9 hours ago, Fedya said:

To be fair, 1980 isn't much after the 1970s.

Yes, you're right!  I should have wrote "mid 1970's." That's exactly where it fits in. Of course, I wasn't born yet, though. ;)

13 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I saw this one last time it aired. It's hard to believe it was made in 1980. It looks like a 1970's high school classroom PSA film.

Indeed.  I made a short spoof safety film in the mid 70's that featured absolutely stupid accidents on a construction site.  Probably inspired by Monty Python.

• Haha 1

Saturday, May 30

340?cb=20131230211528

10 a.m.  Popeye Meets Rip Van Winkle (1941).

hard-boiled-mahoney-lobbycard-huntz-hall

10:07 a.m.  Hard Boiled Mahoney (1947).  A Bowery Boys film with a 6.3 imdb rating.

Sunday, May 31

the_big_parade.jpg

6 a.m.  The Big Parade (1925).  I saw this film at the BFI Southbank a few months ago (Before Covid) and the brilliant piano accompanist played for 2 and a half hours!

• Like 2

Monday, June 1/2

Jazz In Film.

b6be99dd8e5b736e3344d7f04296caa9---movie

3:30 a.m.  Bullitt (1968).  Music by Lalo Schifrin, or as my Bullitt movie poster says ‘Lalo Schinn.’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very bummed out that NIGHT OF THE CREEPS is not on TCM ON HULU. 
(CHOPPING MALL is nothing special)

Tuesday, June 2

Ann Sheridan SOTM

6858960055_a53c63373f_b.jpg

Humphrey-Bogart-Black-Legion.jpg

8 p.m.  Black Legion (1937).  Pretty decent Bogie picture before he hit it big.  It deals with racism in America.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, June 3

MV5BMjM1OWQ4MWYtN2VjNi00ZjdmLTk2MTktOWI1

8 p.m. and 1:45 a.m.  Peckinpah Suite (2019).  Recent documentary about Sam Peckinpah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, June 4

ff27aa1e-92b5-4c65-b504-ec77531b72ed.jpg

11:30 p.m.  All Night Long (1963).   Othello is transposed to London’s Soho jazz scene.  With Patrick McGoohan and Betsy Blair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming up in just a few hours today is Deep Valley, a fine film with my favorite Ida Lupino performance. Fay Bainter and Henry Hull are excellent as her parents. Beautifully directed by Jean Negulesco. I hope this will be shown on the Watch TCM app so that more people can see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kingrat said:

Coming up in just a few hours today is Deep Valley, a fine film with my favorite Ida Lupino performance. Fay Bainter and Henry Hull are excellent as her parents. Beautifully directed by Jean Negulesco. I hope this will be shown on the Watch TCM app so that more people can see it.

I forgot it was on, but caught most of it. (saw it once before a few yrs ago). Beautifully photographed, acted, and directed.

• Like 2

Mourning Becomes Electra is on during the Thursday day schedule. Many people thought Rosalind Russell would win the Oscar for this movie. Then they actually saw the movie.

Both the movie and Roz in this film have their defenders, but this is classic Oscar bait. A prestigious Eugene O'Neill play, unfortunately not very well directed. Roz gives a much better performance in a film noir/domestic melodrama from the same year, The Guilt of Janet Ames, which has not turned up on TCM recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friday, June 5

A Night with the Marx. Brothers.

marx-brothers.jpg

10:45 p.m.  Animal Crackers (1930).  I remember seeing this in Atlanta when it was reissued, June 1974.  My cousin and I sat through it twice.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 5

A Night with the Marx. Brothers.

marx-brothers.jpg

10:45 p.m.  Animal Crackers (1930).  I remember seeing this in Atlanta when it was reissued, June 1974.  My cousin and I sat through it twice.

I need to catch this one. How does it rate?

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I need to catch this one. How does it rate?

It is quite different from the Thalberg MGM Marx Brothers films.  It still owes a lot to the Marx Bros.  Broadway show and as a film it may seem a bit creaky.  But it is well written and still lots of fun.  I envy you a little that you haven't seen it.  When I watched my last unseen Marx Bros. film in a revue house I felt a bit sad half way through because it occurred to me that this was the last one.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, June 6

370?cb=20131230205639

10 a.m.  Popeye: Olive’s Birthday Presink (1941).

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is coming on tonight.

ODD prequel to DYNASTY:

...and it is preceded by   Satanis, the Devil's Mass (1970)

Great  Underground programming!

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:51 PM, kingrat said:

Mourning Becomes Electra is on during the Thursday day schedule. Many people thought Rosalind Russell would win the Oscar for this movie. Then they actually saw the movie.

Both the movie and Roz in this film have their defenders, but this is classic Oscar bait. A prestigious Eugene O'Neill play, unfortunately not very well directed. Roz gives a much better performance in a film noir/domestic melodrama from the same year, The Guilt of Janet Ames, which has not turned up on TCM recently.

She really does have her high points in the film, and the film itself i found to be better than reputation, but its still a long haul of a film.

16 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

...and it is preceded by   Satanis, the Devil's Mass (1970)

Great  Underground programming!

I’d be more excited If they had not just shown SATANIS on TCM a Few months ago, but I caught it when it aired and it’s pretty good.

• Like 1