Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Sunday, June 7

The_Philadelphia_Story-458736717-large.j

2 p.m.  The Philadelphia Story (1940).  It’s well worth a watch once every dozen years, or so.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:51 PM, kingrat said:

Mourning Becomes Electra is on during the Thursday day schedule. Many people thought Rosalind Russell would win the Oscar for this movie. Then they actually saw the movie.

Both the movie and Roz in this film have their defenders, but this is classic Oscar bait. A prestigious Eugene O'Neill play, unfortunately not very well directed. Roz gives a much better performance in a film noir/domestic melodrama from the same year, The Guilt of Janet Ames, which has not turned up on TCM recently.

AGREE ALL THE WAY WITH YOU!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 7

The_Philadelphia_Story-458736717-large.j

2 p.m.  The Philadelphia Story (1940).  It’s well worth a watch once every dozen years, or so.

I love this movie. I can watch it every other day.

Not exactly a "favorite" of mine.  Like it, yeah, but it still leans toward the "meh" side of the scale for me. If nothing else is on, I'll flip a coin.

Sepiatone

It took me a few viewings of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY before I realized that CARY GRANT IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST THING IN THE MOVIE AND DEXTER HAVEN WAS ONE OF HIS BEST PARTS. James Stewart's character is- quite frankly- a smarmy d!ck who gets a little smarmier every time I see it.

• Like 1

Join

for THE UNDERWORLD STORY ('50) Saturday at midnight ET

with an encore Sunday at 10am ET on #NoirAlley.

"......The Underworld Story is not content to personify the problem of media manipulation in the corporality of a single character but rather spreads its net wide to implicate even those who believe they act in the service of common good. Close to the film's heart is the tactic of scapegoating, ....."

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/95586/Underworld-Story-The/articles.html

EZn3K60WkAA0jG8?format=jpg&name=900x900

Mylene Demongeot plays David Niven's girlfriend in the early part of Bonjour Tristesse. It would be interesting to see her in a part like this. And Massimo Girotti in something very unlike the Antonioni film he is best known for.

• Like 1

Tuesday, June 9

Here’s another .…

MV5BNzcyYzI0MGUtYzgwNi00MTQwLWIxOWMtZDlk

9:15 a.m.  Under Western Stars (1938).  With Roy Rogers.  I’ve only seen very poor quality copies floating around of this one.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:44 PM, kingrat said:

. And Massimo Girotti in something very unlike the Antonioni film he is best known for.

I have seen many years ago an Italian version of Spartacus with Massimo in the title role,early 50's before Kirk Douglas,he probably got the idea there as Douglas was in Europe around the time it was made... ok I got it 1953 released as Sins of Rome in the UK & USA a shorter version-35 minutes less,titled Spartacus everywhere else.

• Thanks 1
On 6/7/2020 at 5:52 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 8

MV5BNjdmZjAwNTUtYWVmOS00MGQ2LTk5ODctNTEz

7:30 a.m.  Gold For the Caesars (1964).  Jeffrey Hunter as a gladiator.

I got curious   'Jeffrey Hunter as a gladiator.' he was not... he was an architect like George Constanza... Ron Rendell again as a Roman..he is the Roman Lugosi

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, June 10

41CHuavwaNL._AC_SX385_.jpg

1 a.m.  10 (1979) . With Dudley Moore and Bo Derek.  Honoring the swim suit and my guess it does not belong to Dudley Moore.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, June 10

41CHuavwaNL._AC_SX385_.jpg

1 a.m.  10 (1979) . With Dudley Moore and Bo Derek.  Honoring the swim suit and my guess it does not belong to Dudley Moore.

I shudder at the thought of seeing Dudley Moore in a speedo!

Funny guy that he was, he was not exactly a sex symbol.

Thursday, June 11/12

kay2.jpg?w=350&h=549

1:30 a.m.  Around the World (1943).  Haven’t seen it but somehow I mark this as a miss. 

• Haha 2

Tomorrow has Days of Glory, a film I keep meaning to watch all of. I've only seen the ending, where Gregory Peck swears his girlfriend into the Communist Party as they keep firing at the invading Nazi army. Whether the whole film is this funny and achieves Lylah Clare depths of infamy, I don't know.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:41 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, June 9/10

Ann Sheridan SOTM.

Woman-on-the-Run_005.jpg

12:30 a.m.  Woman on the Run (1950).  Sounds like a noir.

It is and a good one! Eddie showed it on Noir Alley a couple years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (196?)- A FRENCH HORROR film that disturbs even me is on Sunday/Morning am at 4:15.

It's pretty sick.

It is creepy.

11 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Stay with us late tonight at midnight ET as we present the TCM premiere of the 20th Century Fox musical SWEET AND LOW DOWN ('44)

starring Lynn Bari, James Cardwell, Linda Darnell and Benny Goodman and his orchestra. #LetsMovie

Not sure why they thought it was a premiere - by MovieCollectorOH's records it was previously shown on TCM in August, 2011.

But it has been a long time...