Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Stay with us late tonight at midnight ET as we present the TCM premiere of the 20th Century Fox musical SWEET AND LOW DOWN ('44)

starring Lynn Bari, James Cardwell, Linda Darnell and Benny Goodman and his orchestra. #LetsMovie

I think they may have gotten the timing wrong in the schedule as my 'padded' recording missed the end.

Saturday, June 13

13.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Child Psykolojiky (1941).

gungadin.jpg

8 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).  When the schedule was originally announced this was followed by the 1951 Soldiers Three which is terrible.  So just as well that has been replaced by Kim (1951).

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 13

13.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Child Psykolojiky (1941).

gungadin.jpg

8 p.m.  Gunga Din (1939).  When the schedule was originally announced this was followed by the 1951 Soldiers Three which is terrible.  So just as well that has been replaced by Kim (1951).

Looking forward to GUNGA DIN. Don't think I've seen KIM in a long, long time.

6/12/20

Two really interesting PRE-CODES airing today and tonight- some time in the afternoon (ever since i've taken to watching movies ON DEMAND, i pay a lot less attention to time slots) ANNE VICKERS (1933) with IRENE DUNNE and WALTER HUSTON, which is an ASTOUNDINGLY FORWARD-THINKING PRE-CODE and tonight at 8:00 CONSTANCE BENNETT in OUR BETTERS (also 1933), which is a film you may not warm up to, but it is interesting.

MV5BYWJmNjNiZTUtMTkzYi00YWZlLTk3ZDgtYjlm

1933-Ann-Vickers-Irene-Dunne-300x225.jpgIRENE DUNNE in ANNE VICKERS

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I think they may have gotten the timing wrong in the schedule as my 'padded' recording missed the end.

I noticed the online schedule was changed late to move some of the movies back 15 minutes.  I imagine this was because Eddie was having some extended interviews with his guest Christian Sands for the Jazz Spotlight.

You can see the difference if you go back and compare the daily schedule with the weekly schedule.  As I look at it now the daily schedule has still not been updated.  Very unfortunate for those such as yourself who wanted to record it.

Sunday, June 14

chariots-of-fire-1981-opening-credits.jp

8 p.m.  Chariots of Fire (1981).  When I ran my first marathon I passed a bunch of college students at the 22 mile mark who were set up in deck chairs with what looked like pitchers of Gin.  They were playing Vengelis on a boom box and watching all the suffering runners go by.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

CHARIOTS OF FIRE gets a lot of flack because it was the movie that dared to beat REDS for Best Picture in 1981/1982, but I personally think it's a great movie.

And of course the film's musical score is legendary. It's almost impossible to NOT think of it when you see a bunch of folks running in a marathon (or even just jogging outside your home).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 15

s-l400.jpg

10 p.m.  Farewell, My Lovely (1975).  With Mitch!

Awesome! Love the movie, and love Robert Mitchum in here.

He was just oozing with coolness in here.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 15

s-l400.jpg

10 p.m.  Farewell, My Lovely (1975).  With Mitch!

An EXTREMELY GOOD MOVIE, the finale is kind of light on action, but everything else is perfect.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:19 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

CHARIOTS OF FIRE gets a lot of flack because it was the movie that dared to beat REDS for Best Picture in 1981/1982, but I personally think it's a great movie.

people have by now forgotten, but before SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE and the whole LA LA LAND mix-up; CHARIOTS OF FIRE THE BIGGEST Best Picture Upset in history- debateably moreso than THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

people have by now forgotten, but before SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE and the whole LA LA LAND mix-up; CHARIOTS OF FIRE THE BIGGEST Best Picture Upset in history- debateably moreso than THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

I recall a lot of people were furious when CRASH won over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN for Best Picture too.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I recall a lot of people were furious when CRASH won over BROKEDOWN MOUNTAIN for Best Picture too.

YES! FORGOT ABOUT THAT!

(gettin old)

although it's BROKEBACK, not DOWN.

BROKEDOWN MOUNTAIN is the STATE NICKNAME of WEST VIRGINIA.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES! FORGOT ABOUT THAT!

(gettin old)

although it's BROKEBACK, not DOWN.

BROKEDOWN MOUNTAIN is the STATE NICKNAME of WEST VIRGINIA.

Thanks for the correction....I think I got the title mixed up with a 1999 women-in-prison flick, BROKEDOWN PALACE. Good film too.

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Thanks for the correction....I think I got the title mixed up with a 1999 women-in-prison flick, BROKEDOWN PALACE. Good film too.

As someone who CONSTANTLY mixes up Names, titles, and bits of film dialogue, I understand *completely.*

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, June 16

Gangway-for-Tomorrow-1943-2.jpg

6 a.m.  Gangway For Tomorrow (1943).  Anthology film featuring a young Robert Ryan.

Boy, he was gorgeous in that. But I always found him a very attractive man even as he got older.

Have to watch this again.

• Like 1

Wednesday, June 17

a-special-day-1977-00.jpg?format=1500w

4:15 p.m.  A Special Day (1977).  I wasn’t too crazy about this one when I saw it years ago but it is worth another look.  With Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, June 18

knife_in_the_water_01.jpg

11:15 p.m.  Knife In the Water (1962).  Interesting Roman Polanski film.

NEVER SEEN IT BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FASCINATED BY THAT TITLE. It often comes to mind when I do dishes.

• Haha 1

WEDNESDAY JUNE 17- SOME TIME IN A COUPLE OF HOURS

THE HAUNTING (1963) I am as HARDCORE a CLASSIC HORROR FAN as they come and this and THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS are two films that I constantly read good things about- but for the life of me I do not care for either of them AT ALL.

Although RUSTY TAMBLYN is supercute.

ps-

at the end of THE HAUNTING, I ALWAYS feel REALLY sorry for those THE LOST SOULS HAUNTING HILL HOUSE who are now going to have to spend AN ETERNITY with JULIE HARRIS'S irritating character. I would sooner spend the afterlife with the "YOU BROUGHT THE BIRDS HERE, YOU'RE EVIL, EVIL!!!" LADY THAN HER.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WEDNESDAY JUNE 17- SOME TIME IN A COUPLE OF HOURS

THE HAUNTING (1963) I am as HARDCORE a CLASSIC HORROR FAN as they come and this and THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS are two films that I constantly read good things about- but for the life of me I do not care for either of them AT ALL.

Although RUSTY TAMBLYN is supercute.

ps-

Reveal hidden contents

at the end of THE HAUNTING, I ALWAYS feel REALLY sorry for those THE LOST SOULS HAUNTING HILL HOUSE who are now going to have to spend AN ETERNITY with JULIE HARRIS'S irritating character. I would sooner spend the afterlife with the "YOU BROUGHT THE BIRDS HERE, YOU'RE EVIL, EVIL!!!" LADY THAN HER.

I think you'd enjoy Knife in the Water. I totally agree that Russ Tamblyn is supercute, in The Haunting and other films, and I got a big laugh from your comment in the hidden contents.

3 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I think you'd enjoy Knife in the Water. I totally agree that Russ Tamblyn is supercute, in The Haunting and other films, and I got a big laugh from your comment in the hidden contents.

for the record, JULIE HARRIS was a MARVELOUS ACTRESS, unfortunately she SUCCEEDED BRILLIANTLY AT PLAYING REALLY IRRITATING CHARACTERS!

Friday, June 19

maxresdefault.jpg

10 p.m.  They Live By Night (1949).  Nicholas Ray film with Farley Granger.  I especially liked Jay C. Flippen in this one.

• Like 2