Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

Saturday, June 20

7.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Pest Pilot (1941).

 

da-web-wp-feat_image-primary01.png

4:45 a.m.  Primary (1960).  JFK and Humphrey in Wisconsin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, June 21

a4259479320687744889a3ad77882ab7.jpg

3:30 p.m.  The Entertainer (1960).  Great cast in this one about a cheeseball music hall showman who is well past his sell-by date.  Laurence Oliver, Brenda de Banzie, Roger Livesey, Joan Plowright, Albert Finney and Alan Bates.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 21

a4259479320687744889a3ad77882ab7.jpg

3:30 p.m.  The Entertainer (1960).  Great cast in this one about a cheeseball music hall showman who is well past his sell-by date.  Laurence Oliver, Brenda de Banzie, Roger Livesey, Joan Plowright, Albert Finney and Alan Bates.

This is a great film and Olivier in top form. I think I heard this was his favorite role of his as well.

Ironic that Joan Plowright, who plays his daughter in here, went on to marry him in real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, sagebrush said:

Friday 6-19/ Saturday 6-20 on Underground:

Hardcore (1979)

Yakuza, The (1974)

Have you seen both already? & if so your views please   Ebert & Siskel especialy admired THE YAKUZA-(Roger's hero was MITCHUM to begin with)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, June 23

e97629687540fdda340a5ea07ff74369.jpg

6 a.m.  Tiger Bay (1959).  Hayley Mills break out film.  The part was originally written for a young boy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, June 23

e97629687540fdda340a5ea07ff74369.jpg

6 a.m.  Tiger Bay (1959).  Hayley Mills break out film.  The part was originally written for a young boy.

Don't think I've seen this one, and I thought I've seen just about all of her films. Have to check this one out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely need to record Tiger Bay. For late Tuesday night's Ann Sheridan lineup, I'm fond of Honeymoon for Three, which has some very funny moments. George Brent can actually play light comedy very well. The story is a bit like Noel Coward's Present Laughter, with Brent as a writer whose female fans swoon over him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, June 24

the-blue-lagoon-1980.png?w=646&h=335&cro

1:30 a.m.  The Blue Lagoon (1980).   The 1949 original with Jean Simmons and Donald Houston was scheduled to be shown at BFI Southbank London but was cancelled due to covid-19.  Each month the BFI curator shows a film for the ‘Projecting the Archive’ series.  They pick a film from a list where the rights to replicate on dvd are not available.  I’ve seen a few Elisabeth Bergner films this way including Escape Me Never (1935).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, June 24

the-blue-lagoon-1980.png?w=646&h=335&cro

1:30 a.m.  The Blue Lagoon (1980).   The 1949 original with Jean Simmons and Donald Houston was scheduled to be shown at BFI Southbank London but was cancelled due to covid-19.  Each month the BFI curator shows a film for the ‘Projecting the Archive’ series.  They pick a film from a list where the rights to replicate on dvd are not available.  I’ve seen a few Elisabeth Bergner films this way including Escape Me Never (1935).

I barely remember this movie (except the ending). I do recall seeing Christopher Atkins turn up later on DALLAS as another of Sue Ellen Ewing's put-upon lovers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kingrat said:

I'm fond of Honeymoon for Three, which has some very funny moments. George Brent can actually play light comedy very well. The story is a bit like Noel Coward's Present Laughter, with Brent as a writer whose female fans swoon over him.

The story is even more like the Warren William film Goodbye Again:P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, June 25

Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple …

Dk-mb1hW4AA1Rn6?format=jpg&name=small

2 p.m.  Murder, She Said (1961)

3:30 p.m.  Murder at the Gallop (1963)

5:15 p.m.  Murder Most Foul (1964)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday night I am looking forward to recording New Orleans, especially because it stars Billie Holiday. I know two of the songs from the film, "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?" and "The Blues Are Brewing," both memorable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, June 26

dpyXHAFAX2mX63WYT-7L8eK3gAIDe4LcHXVSmkPx

9:45 p.m.  The Watermelon Woman (1995).  Quite relevant today and I’m interested to see how it is handled.

c389805560b741390defdce1e4e02d2c.jpg

5:30 a.m.  The House In the Middle (1954).  Military test demonstrate the dangers of poor home maintenance in the event of a nuclear attack in this short film. :lol:

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kingrat said:

Thursday night I am looking forward to recording New Orleans, especially because it stars Billie Holiday. I know two of the songs from the film, "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?" and "The Blues Are Brewing," both memorable.

IT'S KIND OF A DISAPPOINTING FILM- largely because the white leads are HORRIBLE (especially the actress.) But Billie- while a little ragged about the edges- was a pretty good actress, which is saying something because SOMETIMES black performances in classic films are not great, due in large part (I imagine) to a lack of coaching, direction and encouragement given to the players.

BILLIE HOLIDAY and LOUIS ARMSTRONG did TWO DUETS together, which were released on the three-CD COLLECTION BILLIE HOLIDAY ON DECCA, which included multiple alternate takes of songs like MY SWEET HUNK O' TRASH, which actually includes one take where LOUIS ARMSTRONG SERIOUSLY SAYS THE "F" WORD!!!!!! (AROUND THE 2:50 MARK!)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, June 27

4-8-768x587.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: I’ll Never Crow Again (1941).

today-baby-boom-140617-video.focal-760x4

4 a.m.   Baby Boom (1987).  Not a bad effort.  With Diane Keaton and Harold Ramus.  The gag about Harold wanting to sell the apartment rather than clean it is still with me 30 odd years later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6/26

AIRING RIGHT NOW  (and hopefully ON DEMAND later) YOU'LL FIND OUT (1941?) , a predecessor of sorts to HOLD THAT GHOST/ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN- KAY KAISER (who is the squarest white man who ever lived, sorry LAWRENCE WELK) and his band play a birthday party for the heiress to a fortune in an isolated haunted mansion. SHENANIGANS ENSUE.

The special effects are, surprisingly, OUTSTANDING.

It cosTARS PETER LORRE, BELA LUGOSI (in a TURBAN as PRINCE SALIANO) and KARLOFF: THE UNCANNY. Sadly, the three do not have much screen time together, but this is a fun film.

MALTIN gives it TWO STARS, which nearly always is a sign that it is a film worth watching. (MALTIN HUFFS KEYBOARD CLEANER)

10671-21751-0.jpg

"vould you eggsplain to our costume designer whose name I am unfamiliar with..."

"It's Tawny Miller."

"Hello Tawny, how do you do? Zat I do not feel quite right in A TURBAN? Vhat I feel like IS GLORIA ******** SVANSON!!!!!!"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

6/26

AIRING RIGHT NOW  (and hopefully ON DEMAND later) YOU'LL FIND OUT (1941?) , a predecessor of sorts to HOLD THAT GHOST/ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN- KAY KAISER (who is the squarest white man who ever lived, sorry LAWRENCE WELK) and his band play a birthday party for the heiress to a fortune in an isolated haunted mansion. SHENANIGANS ENSUE.

The special effects are, surprisingly, OUTSTANDING.

It cosTARS PETER LORRE, BELA LUGOSI (in a TURBAN as PRINCE SALIANO) and KARLOFF: THE UNCANNY. Sadly, the three do not have much screen time together, but this is a fun film.

MALTIN gives it TWO STARS, which nearly always is a sign that it is a film worth watching. (MALTIN HUFFS KEYBOARD CLEANER)

10671-21751-0.jpg

"vould you eggsplain to our costume designer whose name I am unfamiliar with..."

"It's Tawny Miller."

"Hello Tawny, how do you do? Zat I do not feel quite right in A TURBAN? Vhat I feel like IS GLORIA ******** SVANSON!!!!!!"

You've sold me on it.

ANYTHING Matlin gives 2 stars or less makes it a must-see for me!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, June 28

twofortheroad-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000

8 p.m.  Two For the Road (1967).   Decent Stanley Donen film with Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, June 28

twofortheroad-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000

8 p.m.  Two For the Road (1967).   Decent Stanley Donen film with Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney.

Good film. Both Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn shine in here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Good film. Both Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn shine in here.

I only discovered this film a few years back.  I also think William Daniels and Elanor Bron do a good job playing their traveling companions and the over-indulging parents of Ruthie.

Jacqueline Bisset also has an early role here, and look for a young Judy Cornwell as a choir member early on.  She later became well known as Daisy, on the BBC's Keeping Up Appearances.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In some biography or other Audrey gave the impression that she sort of fell in love with Finney during this.  Poor woman, it was about the only time she was cast opposite a man who wasn't old enough to be her father.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...