Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

16 hours ago, nakano said:

between 83 to the end Dennis Hopper wanted to be the american Michael Caine i.e. 5-6 movies a year....I have seen this movie first run because of the 12 years delay for the sequel and Tobe Hopper who made the first,it should have been a miss the first time,please include me out!!

hopper.jpg

Yeah it's not  good. I think there is just possibly the off chance that DENNIS HOPPER was on "the drugs"  when he did this.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah it's not  good. I think there is just possibly the off chance that DENNIS HOPPER was on "the drugs"  when he did this.

Yes, I think it's safe to say THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 was definitely NOT Dennis Hopper's finest moment on screen.

• Haha 1

Monday, July 6/7

b01b4d4a131ff136ccbcfb3cfcf31ae8.jpg

1:15 a.m.  The Vikings (1958).  With Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 6/7

b01b4d4a131ff136ccbcfb3cfcf31ae8.jpg

1:15 a.m.  The Vikings (1958).  With Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine.

Good movie with a fine cast. I'll have to record it though, 1 in the morning is a wee bit late for me to stay up.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:12 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love DRIVING MISS DAISY.

Driving  Miss Daisy is one of my favorite films.  I concur with Tandy winning Best Oscar and the movie winning Best Movie.   Morgan Freeman should have won Best Actor (Daniel Day Lewis) won for My Left Foot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Driving  Miss Daisy is one of my favorite films.  I concur with Tandy winning Best Oscar and the movie winning Best Movie.   Morgan Freeman should have won Best Actor (Daniel Day Lewis) won for My Left Foot.

That year offered a choice of two great performances for Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis with one of the great exterior transformative performances and Morgan Freeman with one of the great interior reactive performances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, kingrat said:

That year offered a choice of two great performances for Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis with one of the great exterior transformative performances and Morgan Freeman with one of the great interior reactive performances.

I recall KENNETH BRANAGH being really charming in HENRY V as well.

ROBIN WILLIAMS'S nomination for DEAD POETS SOCIETY is OF questionable merit  IMO.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I recall KENNETH BRANAGH being really charming in HENRY V as well.

ROBIN WILLIAMS'S nomination for DEAD POETS SOCIETY is OF questionable merit  IMO.

Branagh was indeed outstanding in Henry V. An unusually strong field. Robin Williams essentially got an award for his career rather than for that specific performance.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Branagh was indeed outstanding in Henry V. An unusually strong field. Robin Williams essentially got an award for his career rather than for that specific performance.

I assume Branagh was impressed with Williams' performance.   Two years later he cast him in Dead Again.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tom Cruise's performance in BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY.  He was also nominated that year alongside Day-Lewis, Freeman, Branagh and Williams.

Speaking for myself, he isn't one of my favorite actors, he was good in that, but not great.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

I agree but i still believe Lewis was outstanding,i watched  the film another time recently

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 8

scene-A-Night-at-the-Opera-Sam.jpg

midnight.  A Night at the Opera (1935). We can use a few laughs about now.

So right, I know I could use some chuckles. But again, I'll have to record this one, since I very rarely get to bed any later than 11:30 p.m.

For Wednesday daytime: The Long Night is an outstanding remake of the French classic Le jour se leve. Fans of Henry Fonda, Barbara Bel Geddes, Vincent Price, Ann Dvorak and/or Elisha Cook, Jr. should not miss it. The doom-laden French story (which has superb performances by Jean Gabin, Arletty, and Pierre Brasseur) is updated to post-war America, with Fonda as a returning veteran. Outstanding noir cinematography by Sol Polito. The remake builds up the character of the innocent young woman played by Barbara Bel Geddes, and helps us understand why she might be susceptible to the creepy magician played by Vincent Price.

The Long Night is one of my favorites in the film noir genre, and also one of my favorite Henry Fonda performances. Thank goodness one of the posters here from a dozen years back recommended it because I had never heard of it--even Ann Dvorak's biographer could find almost no information about it--and there is a stupid review of the film in Leonard Maltin's guide which is evidently copied from a remark in a book about RKO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, July 9

Max von Sydow tribute evening

9da5a3202e324b4cdf1c2fd5a577fdf0.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Virgin Spring (1960).  Of those on offer this evening this one is my favourite von Sydow performance.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 9

I wish I could give this multiple "Likes"!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 9

9da5a3202e324b4cdf1c2fd5a577fdf0.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Virgin Spring (1960).  Of those on offer this evening this one is my favourite von Sydow performance.

It is a very fine movie and indeed von Sydow turns in one of his very best performances.

Friday, July 10

When the schedule was originally announced this was my pick at 10:30 a.m.  So This Is Paris (1926).  Ernst Lubitsch silent with Myrna Loy in a small part.  Unfortunately that has been scratched.

MV5BNmU2MzE2OTItMDAxOS00NjI1LWJhYzQtYTNj

3:30 a.m.  Cherry 2000 (1998).  With Melanie Griffith.  I didn’t think this was half bad when I saw it years ago.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 10

When the schedule was originally announced this was my pick at 10:30 a.m.  So This Is Paris (1926).  Ernst Lubitsch silent with Myrna Loy in a small part.  Unfortunately that has been scratched.

MV5BNmU2MzE2OTItMDAxOS00NjI1LWJhYzQtYTNj

3:30 a.m.  Cherry 2000 (1998).  With Melanie Griffith.  I didn’t think this was half bad when I saw it years ago.

Haven't seen this one. Not exactly an admirer of Melanie Griffith (although I did like her in WORKING GIRL and PACIFIC HEIGHTS) but maybe I will check it out.

SORRY FOR THE COPY-PASTE, strange choices for a directed by JOHN FORD marathon tomorrow- I've seen parts of THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT- a 1953 remake of JUDGE PRIEST and I am wondering if the original also has some problematic  Black stereotypes. Also I'll be honest and say WILL ROGERS gets on my nerves and- get mad at me if you will- but there is something about him I do not like. 

12:00 PM
B/W - 96 m

Flesh (1932)

Synopsis: A simple-minded wrestler falls for a woman with a dark secret.
DirJohn Ford CastWallace Beery , Karen Morley , Ricardo Cortez .

2:00 PM
B/W - 80 m
Judge Priest (1934)

Synopsis: A Southern judge confounds civic leaders with his laid-back approach to his job.
DirJohn Ford CastWill Rogers , Tom Brown , Anita Louise .

Friday, July 10

Joe_McDoakes_title_card.jpg

George O'Hanlon as Joe McDoakes mini marathon

7:45AM - 8:15AM, 10 AM-Noon

I love his shorts, so this is a treat for me. Has an unrelated, similarly titled movie before it and in the middle of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2