Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

Saturday, July 11

nix-on-hypnotricks-%C2%A9-max-fleischer.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nix on Hypnotricks (1941).

 

america_america_1.jpg

1:30 a.m.  America, America (1963).  Really good Elia Kazan film.  But when the schedule was originally released this was mistakenly described as a Korean film by Kil-soo Chang,  America, America (1988).  It took me a while to track this down on the imdb as it has a different year and spelling for the director.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 11

nix-on-hypnotricks-%C2%A9-max-fleischer.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nix on Hypnotricks (1941).

 

america_america_1.jpg

1:30 a.m.  America, America (1963).  Really good Elia Kazan film.  But when the schedule was originally released this was mistakenly described as a Korean film by Kil-soo Chang,  America, America (1988).  It took me a while to track this down on the imdb as it has a different year and spelling for the director.

I know I haven't seen this one, but it looks interesting. Probably will record it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, July 12

Bedazzled (1967), one of my favourite comedies with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and the babe with the bust, Raquel Welch was originally on the schedule but has been replaced by two Japanese films that I would like to see …

poster-780.jpg

8 p.m.  Children of Hiroshima (1952).

 

MV5BZDY3ODg3NjYtZmQ5OC00YjBkLWI2YjctM2Y5

9:45  Hiroshima (1953).

 

flyer_400.jpg

5:30 a.m.  Borom Sarret (1963).  Short subject by Ousmane Sembene.  According to the imdb this is ‘arguably' the first film by a Black African.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing 1963's Captain Newman M.D. tonight.

This was a late show staple back in the 1960's, but it's been decades since I saw it last. Mostly I remember being really impressed with the acting of Bobby Darin in this movie.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Looking forward to seeing 1963's Captain Newman M.D. tonight.

This was a late show staple back in the 1960's, but it's been decades since I saw it last. Mostly I remember being really impressed with the acting of Bobby Darin in this movie.

I think I saw CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D. a long time ago and remember liking it quite well. I'll probably catch it myself again tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 15

marty-1955-movie-review-marty-clara-erne

6 p.m.  Marty (1955).  With Ernest Borgnine and Betsy Blair.

Great movie, with Borgnine turning in a playing-against-type performance as the lonely butcher looking for love (he usually played the nasty big bad guy during this period).

Link to post
Share on other sites
TCM
 
·
2h
 
Jean-Pierre Melville gained popularity in the 1960s for his minimalist storytelling style, with a trio of neo-noir crime dramas, including what many consider to be his greatest film - LE SAMOURAI ('67) starring Alain Delon.
 
See the TCM Premiere tonight at 12:30am PT. #LetsMovie
 
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, July 18

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Kickin’ the Conga Round (1942).

 

5471topQuie.jpg

4:30 a.m.  The Quiet American (1958).  I believe they took great liberty with this Graham Greene story turning the American into the hero.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 6:28 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 17/18

John Ford day.

longvoyagehome1940.81770_120920131256.jp

12:30 a.m.  The Long Voyage Home (1940).  Great cast in this Eugene O'Neill tale.

One of the very few films in which Wayne, as "Ole," attempted an accent and he's quite winning in his role. The film, for my money, belongs to Thomas Mitchell. However, everyone's effective in this lyrical drama.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7/17

this morning (don't know the exact times, but hopefully they'll all be ON DEMAND, A TOD BROWNING FESTIVAL- FREAKS, THE 13TH CHAIR (1929) and THE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other, past or present.

OIP.iTQEFsb02zyX0X9zZ2vvGgHaGO?pid=Api&r

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

7/17

this morning (don't know the exact times, but hopefully they'll all be ON DEMAND, A TOD BROWNING FESTIVAL- FREAKS, THE 13TH CHAIR (1929) and THE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other film, past or present.

OIP.iTQEFsb02zyX0X9zZ2vvGgHaGO?pid=Api&r

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the more interesting scenes in Mark of the Vampire 10:45 AM July 17 is the very large rats.  Look closely at one of them.  A good movie if you have not seen it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheCid said:

One of the more interesting scenes in Mark of the Vampire 10:45 AM July 17 is the very large rats.  Look closely at one of them.  A good movie if you have not seen it.

Are you sure you don't mean bats? I know MGM imported ACTUAL BATS from SOUTH AMERICA and had to agree to destroy them after filming as part of an agreement with CA Fish and Wildlife (cruel as it is, it kinda makes sense, ESPECIALLY from our present POV**.)

I think they appear in all of, like, one or two brief shots.

 

**or they could have, you know, used fake bats like they do for most of the rest of the film. I kind of can't help but wonder what lucky production assistant got the job of MURDERING THE BATS once the shoot wrapped..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

7/17

this morning (don't know the exact times, but hopefully they'll all be ON DEMAND, A TOD BROWNING FESTIVAL- FREAKS, THE 13TH CHAIR (1929) and THE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other, past or present.

OIP.iTQEFsb02zyX0X9zZ2vvGgHaGO?pid=Api&r

Some might feel cheated with the final twist (which I won't spoil) but I thoroughly enjoy the movie. Lionel Barrymore is a joy to watch, as is Bela Lugosi (even if it wasn't exactly a role for him to stretch out his acting chops).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Some might feel cheated with the final twist (which I won't spoil) but I thoroughly enjoy the movie. Lionel Barrymore is a joy to watch, as is Bela Lugosi (even if it wasn't exactly a role for him to stretch out his acting chops).

THE TRAILER THO!

ETA, AT 1:23 IS WORD FOR WORD WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY AT THE VERY BEGINNING OF DELIBERATIONS IF I AM EVER CHOSEN AS FOREMAN
 OF A JURY

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 18

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Kickin’ the Conga Round (1942).

 

5471topQuie.jpg

4:30 a.m.  The Quiet American (1958).  I believe they took great liberty with this Graham Greene story turning the American into the hero.

Graham Greene was upset with the changes. However, and I will try not to spoil this for those who haven't seen the film, the changes made by Mankiewicz make perfect sense to me, as a character who feels smugly superior is shown to be the most naive of all. Jean-Luc Godard considered this the best film of 1958. Um, no, but it's a well-made and satisfying film, with an outstanding performance by Michael Redgrave. Thanks for highlighting it, Bogie.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...