Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Saturday, July 11

nix-on-hypnotricks-%C2%A9-max-fleischer.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nix on Hypnotricks (1941).

america_america_1.jpg

1:30 a.m.  America, America (1963).  Really good Elia Kazan film.  But when the schedule was originally released this was mistakenly described as a Korean film by Kil-soo Chang,  America, America (1988).  It took me a while to track this down on the imdb as it has a different year and spelling for the director.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 11

nix-on-hypnotricks-%C2%A9-max-fleischer.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Nix on Hypnotricks (1941).

america_america_1.jpg

1:30 a.m.  America, America (1963).  Really good Elia Kazan film.  But when the schedule was originally released this was mistakenly described as a Korean film by Kil-soo Chang,  America, America (1988).  It took me a while to track this down on the imdb as it has a different year and spelling for the director.

I know I haven't seen this one, but it looks interesting. Probably will record it.

Sunday, July 12

Bedazzled (1967), one of my favourite comedies with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and the babe with the bust, Raquel Welch was originally on the schedule but has been replaced by two Japanese films that I would like to see …

poster-780.jpg

8 p.m.  Children of Hiroshima (1952).

MV5BZDY3ODg3NjYtZmQ5OC00YjBkLWI2YjctM2Y5

9:45  Hiroshima (1953).

flyer_400.jpg

5:30 a.m.  Borom Sarret (1963).  Short subject by Ousmane Sembene.  According to the imdb this is ‘arguably' the first film by a Black African.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Monday, July 13

vJRSLrUOHPp4fs94XUAFblAOf8D.jpg

10 a.m.  Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937).  I still haven’t seen this one.

• Like 1

Tuesday, July 14

My_Journey_Through_French_Cinema-4273756

8 p.m.  My Journey Through French Cinema (2016).  by Bertrand Tavernier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing 1963's Captain Newman M.D. tonight.

This was a late show staple back in the 1960's, but it's been decades since I saw it last. Mostly I remember being really impressed with the acting of Bobby Darin in this movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Looking forward to seeing 1963's Captain Newman M.D. tonight.

This was a late show staple back in the 1960's, but it's been decades since I saw it last. Mostly I remember being really impressed with the acting of Bobby Darin in this movie.

I think I saw CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D. a long time ago and remember liking it quite well. I'll probably catch it myself again tonight.

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 15

marty-1955-movie-review-marty-clara-erne

6 p.m.  Marty (1955).  With Ernest Borgnine and Betsy Blair.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 15

marty-1955-movie-review-marty-clara-erne

6 p.m.  Marty (1955).  With Ernest Borgnine and Betsy Blair.

Great movie, with Borgnine turning in a playing-against-type performance as the lonely butcher looking for love (he usually played the nasty big bad guy during this period).

TCM

·
2h

Jean-Pierre Melville gained popularity in the 1960s for his minimalist storytelling style, with a trio of neo-noir crime dramas, including what many consider to be his greatest film - LE SAMOURAI ('67) starring Alain Delon.

See the TCM Premiere tonight at 12:30am PT. #LetsMovie

• Like 2

Thursday, July 16

MV5BMzAyNjQ3NzctNjVkZi00NGYyLTk3ODItNGZl

3:30 p.m.  Star of Midnight (1935).  With Ginger Rogers and William Powell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 16

MV5BMzAyNjQ3NzctNjVkZi00NGYyLTk3ODItNGZl

3:30 p.m.  Star of Midnight (1935).  With Ginger Rogers and William Powell.

I will record this one, but for Powell but not for Rogers. Anything with Powell sounds interesting to me.

Friday, July 17/18

John Ford day.

longvoyagehome1940.81770_120920131256.jp

12:30 a.m.  The Long Voyage Home (1940).  Great cast in this Eugene O'Neill tale.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 17/18

John Ford day.

X6a7AdkI5_44NlQHnVO2MjcTwsNxl5Biv9mw5f6t

12:30 a.m.  The Long Voyage Home (1940).  Great cast in this Eugene O'Neill tale.

Good movie and yes, it does have a very fine cast in it.

Saturday, July 18

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Kickin’ the Conga Round (1942).

5471topQuie.jpg

4:30 a.m.  The Quiet American (1958).  I believe they took great liberty with this Graham Greene story turning the American into the hero.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:28 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 17/18

John Ford day.

longvoyagehome1940.81770_120920131256.jp

One of the very few films in which Wayne, as "Ole," attempted an accent and he's quite winning in his role. The film, for my money, belongs to Thomas Mitchell. However, everyone's effective in this lyrical drama.

• Like 1

7/17

this morning (don't know the exact times, but hopefully they'll all be ON DEMAND, A TOD BROWNING FESTIVAL- FREAKS, THE 13TH CHAIR (1929) and THE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other, past or present.

OIP.iTQEFsb02zyX0X9zZ2vvGgHaGO?pid=Api&r

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

7/17

this morning (don't know the exact times, but hopefully they'll all be ON DEMAND, A TOD BROWNING FESTIVAL- FREAKS, THE 13TH CHAIR (1929) and THE MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other film, past or present.

One of the more interesting scenes in Mark of the Vampire 10:45 AM July 17 is the very large rats.  Look closely at one of them.  A good movie if you have not seen it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheCid said:

One of the more interesting scenes in Mark of the Vampire 10:45 AM July 17 is the very large rats.  Look closely at one of them.  A good movie if you have not seen it.

Are you sure you don't mean bats? I know MGM imported ACTUAL BATS from SOUTH AMERICA and had to agree to destroy them after filming as part of an agreement with CA Fish and Wildlife (cruel as it is, it kinda makes sense, ESPECIALLY from our present POV**.)

I think they appear in all of, like, one or two brief shots.

**or they could have, you know, used fake bats like they do for most of the rest of the film. I kind of can't help but wonder what lucky production assistant got the job of MURDERING THE BATS once the shoot wrapped..

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

7/17

That last one is as near and dear to the tarry black wad where my heart should be than any other, past or present.

Some might feel cheated with the final twist (which I won't spoil) but I thoroughly enjoy the movie. Lionel Barrymore is a joy to watch, as is Bela Lugosi (even if it wasn't exactly a role for him to stretch out his acting chops).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Some might feel cheated with the final twist (which I won't spoil) but I thoroughly enjoy the movie. Lionel Barrymore is a joy to watch, as is Bela Lugosi (even if it wasn't exactly a role for him to stretch out his acting chops).

THE TRAILER THO!

ETA, AT 1:23 IS WORD FOR WORD WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY AT THE VERY BEGINNING OF DELIBERATIONS IF I AM EVER CHOSEN AS FOREMAN
 OF A JURY

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 18

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Kickin’ the Conga Round (1942).

5471topQuie.jpg

4:30 a.m.  The Quiet American (1958).  I believe they took great liberty with this Graham Greene story turning the American into the hero.

Graham Greene was upset with the changes. However, and I will try not to spoil this for those who haven't seen the film, the changes made by Mankiewicz make perfect sense to me, as a character who feels smugly superior is shown to be the most naive of all. Jean-Luc Godard considered this the best film of 1958. Um, no, but it's a well-made and satisfying film, with an outstanding performance by Michael Redgrave. Thanks for highlighting it, Bogie.

• Like 1