Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Are you sure you don't mean bats? I know MGM imported ACTUAL BATS from SOUTH AMERICA and had to agree to destroy them after filming as part of an agreement with CA Fish and Wildlife (cruel as it is, it kinda makes sense, ESPECIALLY from our present POV**.)

I think they appear in all of, like, one or two brief shots.

**or they could have, you know, used fake bats like they do for most of the rest of the film. I kind of can't help but wonder what lucky production assistant got the job of MURDERING THE BATS once the shoot wrapped..

There is one scene where a very large "rat" is going along the wall.  On closer examination, it appears to be a possum.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

There is one scene where a very large "rat" is going along the wall.  On closer examination, it appears to be a possum.

At least there are no armadillos...at least as far as I recall...

For a 60 minute long movie, a lot happens and it visually.

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

At least there are no armadillos...at least as far as I recall...

For a 60 minute long movie, a lot happens and it visually.

I stand corrected and I verified this with my wife.  It was not a possum, but an armadillo masquerading as a rat.

You are right, a lot happens and there are a lot of visuals in it.

• Thanks 1

Well, this got our curiosity up so we watched Mark of the Vampire this afternoon.  It was a possum at between 15 and 20 minutes in.  Could have been that it was supposed to be a possum rather than using one to fake a big rat.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 20

Spartacus-0021.jpg

8 p.m.  Spartacus (1960).  I see they have made a schedule correction … Part Two is no longer followed by Part One.

I certainly won't miss this movie, one of my favorites, and one of, if not the, Kirk's best roles and of course he's backed up with a great supporting cast...Laurence Olivier, Charles Laughton and Peter Ustinov and what a joy to watch them interact with each other.

Tuesday, July 21

notfilm-2015-dvd-bluray-disc-packshot-dr

8 p.m.  Notfilm (2015).  Documentary about the collaboration between Samuel Beckett and Buster Keaton ??  What the ?  Featuring Kevin Brownlow.  Looks like a BFI restoration.

10:30 p.m.  Archival Screening Night (2020).  Anyone have any idea what this might be?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

8 p.m.  Notfilm (2015).  Documentary about the collaboration between Samuel Beckett and Buster Keaton ??  What the ?  Featuring Kevin Brownlow.  Looks like a BFI restoration.

From my cable provider's on TV synopsis:

An examination of the 1965 short "film" which was directed by Alan Schneider, written by Samuel Beckett and starred Buster Keaton. 130 mins.

I remember this being discussed in the "The Great Buster" documentary.

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, July 21

notfilm-2015-dvd-bluray-disc-packshot-dr

10:30 p.m.  Archival Screening Night (2020).  Anyone have any idea what this might be?

see TCM Premiere thread for more info...........  :)

• Thanks 2

1:30 AM

Boston Strangler, The ( 1968)

Federal and local law officers try to catch a deadly serial killer.

Dir Richard Fleischer Cast Tony Curtis , Henry Fonda , George Kennedy .

C- 116 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

-good performances by Curtis & Fonda :)

3:45 AM

Taras Bulba ( 1962)

A cossack leader clashes with his rebellious son.

Dir J. Lee Thompson Cast Tony Curtis , Yul Brynner , Christine Kaufmann .

C- 124 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

-just a Fun one w/Brynner & get to see Tony's new  wife ;)

I'm looking forward to a rare showing of 1961's The Outsider tonight. I remember this movie from seeing it a couple of times in the early-mid 60's. Tony Curtis, in a dramatic role, plays American Indian Ira Hayes.

It's followed by another dramatic performance by Curtis - as Albert DeSalvo, The Boston Strangler.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, July 22

43c62ca8b441d5b0177c42eb17d97311.jpg

7 a.m.  Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969).  Carol Lynley stars in a criss-cross murder plot ala Strangers on a Train which is on at 2:30 p.m..  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 22

43c62ca8b441d5b0177c42eb17d97311.jpg

7 a.m.  Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969).  Carol Lynley stars in a criss-cross murder plot ala Strangers on a Train which is on at 2:30 p.m..  

Sounds interesting, will have to catch that one. Hope it's better than the lackluster THROW MOMMA ON A TRAIN.

• Haha 1
On 7/20/2020 at 8:17 PM, SadPanda said:

I'm looking forward to a rare showing of 1961's The Outsider tonight. I remember this movie from seeing it a couple of times in the early-mid 60's. Tony Curtis, in a dramatic role, plays American Indian Ira Hayes.

They showed this film before, either when Tony Curtis was a star of the month or had a day on summer under the stars. 
it’s REALLY GOOD, And is also the only time I can think of when Curtis completely and utterly disappears into a character. There are moments where he’s not even recognizable. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

They showed this film before, either when Tony Curtis was a star of the month or had a day on summer under the stars. 
it’s REALLY GOOD, And is also the only time I can think of when Curtis completely and utterly disappears into a character. There are moments where he’s not even recognizable. 

One of Tony Curtis' personal favorite roles.

2 hours ago, SadPanda said:

One of Tony Curtis' personal favorite roles.

It should be, he is excellent. 
It’s a film that is really ahead of its time in many ways, And I wasn’t bothered by the fact that they’re having an actor of one ethnicity playing a character of another, If anything Curtis’s huge star power at the time undoubtably drew more people into the theaters than hiring a genuine Native American would have.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

It should be, he is excellent. 
It’s a film that is really ahead of its time in many ways, And I wasn’t bothered by the fact that they’re having an actor of one ethnicity playing a character of another.

That never bothers me. Ever.

49 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

That never bothers me. Ever.

All that matters to me is that an actor comes off as authentic  (as it relates to the character and not just that character's ethnicity).

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

All that matters to me is that an actor comes off as authentic  (as it relates to the character and not just that character's ethnicity).

Brando as a Mexican revolutionary comes to mind. Masterful performance.

For Thursday night: A Dream of Kings has top-notch performances by Anthony Quinn, Irene Papas (as his wife), Inger Stevens (as his mistress), and Sam Levene (as his best friend). This doesn't come around often, so if you are a fan of one or more of those actors, you might want to watch or record it.

• Thanks 1

Friday, July 24/25

the-big-doll-house

2:30 a.m.  The Big Doll House (1971).  With Pam Grier.  If these women weren't behind bars they could probably all get jobs as models. :lol:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

2:30 a.m.  The Big Doll House (1971).  With Pam Grier.  If these women weren't behind bars they could probably all get jobs as models. 

The second half of that night's Underground programming, Foxy Brown (1974) , is Grier at her best and most beautiful.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 24/25

the-big-doll-house

2:30 a.m.  The Big Doll House (1971).  With Pam Grier.  If these women weren't behind bars they could probably all get jobs as models. :lol:

I noticed a lot of women-in-prison films, particularly in the 70's and 80's, had a tendency to have the same plot over and over again....wrongfully convicted (or not) women exploited behind bars by the sleazy powers-that-be in charge.

Give me 1950's CAGED any day.