Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

17 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Agreed.  I watched this movie Sunday afternoon because I'd never seen it before.  It's a decent story that held my interest, but there were some points where the film 'skipped' like a vinyl album might.  I wonder if the subpar splicing/editing to correct these noticeable mistakes can be fixed?  It didn't render the film to be completely un-watchable for me, though.  Now, the 1954 Warner Brothers entry of "A Star Is Born"?  The still photos in place of the actual film put this one in the category of 'should watch' to 'not all that interested' when it pops up on the TCM schedule...and I generally love watching James Mason, Judy Garland, and Jack Carson pictures.

I believe that they genuinely had the best intentions in re-inserting those lost scenes into A STAR IS BORN, but not only would the restored film be better without them, even if said scenes were found to be extant- the film is STILL better without them PERIOD (and I am a huge fan.)

I have gotten to be, in my old age, somewhat spoiled when it comes to watching FULLY RESTORED versions of classics, especially those from the early thirties. i still remember the days of cable and vhs where the only version of, say, DRACULA or GRAND HOTEL available were ones with a fuzzy print and a PROMINENT "HISS" on the soundtrack that sounded like a tire was deflating just off to the side in every scene.

now that it is 2020 and digitization and film restoration techniques are really top-notch, I have re-watched a lot of films that I was initially not fond of because of the poor quality and in most cases, HAVE COME AWAY WITH A MUCH MORE POSITIVE IMPRESSION- one such case would definitely be DRACULA- because when you take away that OMNIPRESENT HISS, you can see how EFFECTIVE THE LONG MOMENTS OF DEAD SILENCE THROUGHOUT THE FILM ACTUALLY ARE.

To watch a film in the same quality as it was the year it came out is the only really fair way to watch a film.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

There are pictures from New Trier HS yearbooks of Roy Harold Fitzgerald and although the pictures are a bit fuzzy, it appears that the nose in Winchester 73 is not his.

8 Things You Didn't Know About Rock Hudson

ADORABLE, BUT NOT AS ADORABLE AS THIS:

sssuts2b.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The problem with this movie is that most of the prints of it that still exist are in absolutely horrible condition. The film really needs to be restored, because I’ve tried to watch it, and it’s not bad, but I cannot make it all the way through because the picture is so fuzzy and sound is so tinny. It might actually be in the public domain, I’m not sure.

I agree about the quality. I have it on a disc (Dangerous Dames Collection) with some other similar movies and you have to really want to watch it to make it through.  Although I think my copy may be better than ones you have seen.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Same. I’ve been REALLY DISAPPOINTED in the UNDERGROUND entries for a while. Too many encores and stuff that I don’t think really qualifies.

I've actually purchased two films I discovered on Underground: Burnt Offerings and Roller Boogie.  With that said, TCM has NOT had any good Underground selections for quite some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've actually purchased two films I discovered on Underground: Burnt Offerings and Roller Boogie.  With that said, TCM has NOT had any good Underground selections for quite some time.

I realize I don’t have a lot going on right now, but I would probably give my eyeteeth for the chance to see ROLLER BOOGIE OFFERINGS, a moody, offbeat film about a haunted roller disco with a shocker of an ending.

(Can you imagine Karen Black in her Mrs. Alidice get up on Wheels?!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I realize I don’t have a lot going on right now, but I would probably give my eyeteeth for the chance to see ROLLER BOOGIE OFFERINGS, a moody, offbeat film about a haunted roller disco with a shocker of an ending.

The main plot in Roller Boogie is that real estate developers are threatening  the existence of Club Jammers (which is hilarious to me, because 'Jammers' is my pet name for my husband, James), the hot roller disco club.  Club Jammers is also the club where the annual summer end roller disco competition will be held.  Much of the action of Roller Boogie involves Linda Blair and her love interest (I forgot his name, but he might be one of the worst actors ever) trying to rally everyone to save the club.  All this takes place after Blair emphatically announces her intentions to renounce her flute scholarship at Julliard in favor of dedicating her life to becoming the roller boogie champion.

I can see a Roller Boogie/Burnt Offerings crossover where Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckhart own this beautiful vintage roller disco club (Club Jammers) that keeps itself fresh and maintained by sucking the lifeblood out of its unsuspecting "boogie-ers." Karen Black and Oliver Reed appear in the film as the newest aspiring roller boogie dancers.  Linda Blair & boyfriend are the reigning roller boogie champions who will stop at nothing to keep their title.  Meanwhile, the roller disco club  starts deteriorating.  Developers spot the rotting disco club and want to tear it down.  The roller disco club won't be torn down and it sucks all the life  out of the developers until they're dead.  With its new life and energy, the roller disco club regenerates itself.  Meanwhile, Karen Black becomes obsessed with the roller disco club's aesthetic, especially its Victorian disco decor, and she slowly falls under its spell.  Soon she's dressed as a Gibson Girl, but donning a Victorian romper (long skirts are  too cumbersome) and roller skates, made up to look like high-button shoes. Soon Karen won't stop , can't stop skating.  Her whole life is dedicated to roller disco, much to the chagrin of husband Oliver Reed, who really doesn't want to be a roller disco champion and just wants to leave.

This is the cross-over that I didn't know that I needed.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She'd probably drive the other roller skaters off the floor, much like she threw Oliver Reed out the window (or drove him to jump as other viewers have speculated).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

She'd probably drive the other roller skaters off the floor, much like she threw Oliver Reed out the window (or drove him to jump as other viewers have speculated).

She'll throw Oliver Reed through the light-up dance floor. As obviously the disco will need to be elevated (on pilings or up on a cliff or something) for his death scene to be more dramatic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

1. I can see a Roller Boogie/Burnt Offerings crossover where Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckhart own this beautiful vintage roller disco club (Club Jammers) that keeps itself fresh and maintained by sucking the lifeblood out of its unsuspecting "boogie-ers." ....

2. This is the cross-over that I didn't know that I needed.

1. if you rewrote the script to work in the whole roller disco angle and slipped the pages to EILEEN HECKHART and BURGESS MEREDITH overnight, I guarantee you that they would show up on set the next day READY, with their LINES DOWN and nail the thing on the first take. That's the kind of actors they both were.

2. none of us did.

ps- I can't remember if i have mentioned this to you or not, but LEE MONTGOMERY (who plays the kid in BURNT OFFERINGS) grew up to be SUPER HOT in the 80's- he was in a few more films before retiring (among them the 1985 TV Movie THE MIDNIGHT HOUR, who is a fun horror/comedy.)

pic1_lee_montgomery_shirtless_002.jpg

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. if you rewrote the script to work in the whole roller disco angle and slipped the pages to EILEEN HECKHART and BURGESS MEREDITH overnight, I guarantee you that they would show up the next day READY, with their LINES DOWN and nail the thing on the first take. That's the kind of actors they both were.

2. none of us did.

ps- I can't remember if i have mentioned this to you or not, but LEE MONTGOMERY (who plays the kid in BURNT OFFERINGS) grew up to be SUPER HOT in the 80's- he was in a few more films before retiring (among them the 1985 TV Movie THE MIDNIGHT HOUR, who is a fun horror/comedy.)

Wow! He very much has a beefier-Luke Perry aesthetic going on.  

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I thought so too.

lee_montgomery9.jpg

He looked better in the first picture, when his cheeks look a little more chiseled. His hair looks like my husband's.  Except my husband's hair is a little shorter.  But both have the "thick, wavy brown hair with the uncontrollable cowlicks"  aesthetic. 

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. if you rewrote the script to work in the whole roller disco angle and slipped the pages to EILEEN HECKHART and BURGESS MEREDITH overnight, I guarantee you that they would show up on set the next day READY, with their LINES DOWN and nail the thing on the first take. That's the kind of actors they both were.

2. none of us did.

BURNT OFFERINGS is the only movie I ever saw him in.

I must say he does look oh so fine in here. Maybe he was another who decided that Hollywood stardom just wasn't his cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I must say he does look oh so fine in here. Maybe he was another who decided that Hollywood stardom just wasn't his cup of tea.

He's now a real estate agent in California.

• Thanks 2

Thursday, August 6

Burt Lancaster

screenshot-830.png

8 p.m.  Elmer Gantry (1960).  This is my number 3 Best Actor performance of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

He looked better in the first picture, when his cheeks look a little more chiseled. His hair looks like my husband's.  Except my husband's hair is a little shorter.  But both have the "thick, wavy brown hair with the uncontrollable cowlicks"  aesthetic. 

Me too.

17 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

16 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

He's now a real estate agent in California.

He did a terrible 1984 movie called MUTANT with WINGS HAUSER and a WEIRD GEORGE C SCOTT movie about SHIPWRECK SURVIVOR INCEST. He has the male lead in the 1985 ABC TV MOVIE THE MIDNIGHT HOUR, which I really enjoy and highly recommend. it is on youtube in full. He is SUPER DUPER CUTE with glasses (you can see in this trailer, which has faded a little with time, but I reiterate- this is a pretty first-class tv movie and a rare horror one at that, the make-up and score is effective AND THE SOUNDTRACK IS INSANE, I don't think it could be made today because the MUSIC RIGHTS would cost millions!

he was also in GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN with SARAH JESSICA PARKER

200.gif

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 6

Burt Lancaster

screenshot-830.png

8 p.m.  Elmer Gantry (1960).  This is my number 3 Best Actor performance of all time.

Great movie and a great performance from Burt Lancaster. He truly deserved his Oscar for this one.

2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Great movie and a great performance from Burt Lancaster. He truly deserved his Oscar for this one.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: JEAN SIMMONS's is the best performance in the film.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes, she was great too. It's shocking that she didn't get an Oscar nomination as well.

it's a performance of subtle brilliance that shares every moment with a brilliant, but definitely not subtle performance.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2020 at 1:06 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I can't remember if i have mentioned this to you or not, but LEE MONTGOMERY (who plays the kid in BURNT OFFERINGS) grew up to be SUPER HOT in the 80's- he was in a few more films before retiring (among them the 1985 TV Movie THE MIDNIGHT HOUR, who is a fun horror/comedy.)

Oh yes, Lee Montgomery definitely got hot!

As a kid he also appeared in an episode from season five of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW called "Anybody Who Hates Kids And Dogs." Credited as Lee H. Montgomery,  he played the obnoxious son of the man Mary was dating.  Because the boy (Stevie)  likes comic books, Mary tries to bond with him by telling him about one of her favorite Wonder Woman adventures she read as a child. But Stevie tells Mary that he doesn't like Wonder Woman because she's "too butch."

mary-tyler-moore-show-season-5-24-anyone

• Thanks 1

Friday, August 7

Sylvia Sidney

thirtydayprincess.jpg?itok=qnGaRNEc

9:45 p.m.  Thirty Day Princess (1934).  With Cary Grant.  I haven’t seen this one.

110124_0.jpg?1441998206

12:45 a.m.  Les Miserables (1952).  Sidney might be a bit old for Fantine but she makes up for it with good acting.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 7

Sylvia Sidney

thirtydayprincess.jpg?itok=qnGaRNEc

9:45 p.m.  Thirty Day Princess (1934).  With Cary Grant.  I haven’t seen this one.

110124_0.jpg?1441998206

12:45 a.m.  Les Miserables (1952).  Sidney might be a bit old for Fantine but she makes up for it with good acting.

I've just recently seen THIRTY DAY PRINCESS on DVD in the Cary Grant collection I recently purchased and I thought she was terrific in there.

As you say, she was a bit too old for the part of Fantine in the 1952 version of LES MISERABLES but she still does a fine job in the part.