Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

I'm looking forward to NIGHT CLUB SCANDAL on John Barrymore day at 12 (EST) midnight (Friday morning).

It's a minor "B" mystery from Paramount and Barrymore, now in his career decline, pretty well walks through his part. But it's quite rare (a TCM premiere?) and the supporting cast includes Lynne Overman as  reporter investigating the murder of a doctor's wife. I've always enjoyed Overman's laid back cynicism, often with humoruous overtones. Barrymore and Overman would die just a year apart a few years later.

MV5BZTExNWI1MzUtZWZjNC00ODIxLTg5MGItYjU4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 13

John Barrymore

MV5BMzBlNGU2NDItODcyYi00MWNkLWE2Y2MtZTRj

7:15 a.m.  Don Juan (1926).  Start the day with a swashbuckler.

I like that comic book- like movie poster.

Thursday, August 13

John Barrymore

Mary Astor has never looked more lovely than she does in this film. 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I like that comic book- like movie poster.

It is great, isn't it?

BARRYMORE must've had it in his contract that he got to approve the layout, type-size, and billing on all the posters:

Warner Bros. presents

"DON JUAN"

JOHN BARRYMORE

with

MARY ASTOR

AND THESE OTHER PEOPLE.....

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 13

John Barrymore

Politically incorrect stalking of a woman.

a60f37447abf989979db50265c7ceee8.jpg

Mary threatening to end it rather than submit to his wicked ways after Don Juan forces himself into her bedroom. Juan looks like he thinks it's an act. Years later, when Errol Flynn plays the Don following his statutory rape trial, the screenwriters wouldn't dare have a scene like this but portrayed the bedroom swordsman as a man largely pursued by women. Barrymore's Don Juan is far more aggressive (as well as contemptuous) in his pursuit of women than Flynn's.

The Barrymore version is generally a darker portrait, but you can see how the Flynn version's final duel was influenced by that in this silent. When asked, Flynn said the Barrymore version was probably superior to his own.

• Thanks 2

SVENGALI (1931) Friday August 14 3am (EST)

s11.png?w=676&h=496

John Barrymore at his flamboyant, theatrical best. Barrymore insisted the early scenes in the film were to be largely played for humour before the darker aspects of his characterization would dominate the story.

38 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

If Barrymore had leaned forward just enough, his romancing days would have been over. 

OR, as Johnny Carson once said to Ed Ames during a demonstration of tomahawk throwing..."Gee, I didn't know you were Jewish!"

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 13

John Barrymore

Looking forward to seeing this one, I think it's one of John's films I haven't seen as of yet. Be interesting to compare him with Errol Flynn's version in ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN.

• Thanks 1

... you mean like, Estelle Taylor, Myrna Loy, and not to forget our favorite, Gustave von Seyffertitz. You may have meant the Barrymore and Astor were the only ones to look at. I think Estelle is rather erotic the way she condemns people.  "Neri will be delighted" (Gustave). Myrna Loy is only a lady in waiting but she still if fun to look at, the way she assiduously carries our orders, sometimes zombie-like.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is great, isn't it?

BARRYMORE must've had it in his contract that he got to approve the layout, type-size, and billing on all the posters:

Warner Bros. presents

"DON JUAN"

JOHN BARRYMORE

with

MARY ASTOR

AND THESE OTHER PEOPLE.....

... you mean like, Estelle Taylor, Myrna Loy, and not to forget our favorite, Gustave von Seyffertitz. You may have meant the Barrymore and Astor were the only ones to look at. I think Estelle is rather erotic the way she condemns people.  "Neri will be delighted" (Gustave). Myrna Loy is only a lady in waiting but she still if fun to look at, the way she assiduously carries our orders, sometimes zombie-like. There are a few really nasty individuals in this one.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, laffite said:

... you mean like, Estelle Taylor, Myrna Loy, and not to forget our favorite, Gustave von Seyffertitz. You may have meant the Barrymore and Astor were the only ones to look at. I think Estelle is rather erotic the way she condemns people.  "Neri will be delighted" (Gustave). Myrna Loy is only a lady in waiting but she still if fun to look at, the way she assiduously carries our orders, sometimes zombie-like. There are a few really nasty individuals in this one.

WARNER OLAND (of CHARLIE CHAN and WEREWOLF OF LONDON) is in it too. 
the “other people” was a joke in re: BARRYMORE’s ego, I almost wrote “And these other people who are not JOHN BARRYMORE”, Which he probably would also have been fine with had he been in charge of the billing on publicity materials.

• Like 1

Friday, August 14

Steve McQueen.  It is hard to pick just one of these …

ge-hilts-1.jpg

10 p.m.  The Great Escape (1963).  Cooler Hilts.

How about An Enemy of the People at 9:00 AM.  It's still relevant today considering the obscene amount of bullying of anyone who doesn't tow the media and government health bureaucrats' line on coronavirus panic.

• Like 2

Saturday, August 15

Nina Foch

8737771ccffabdb58e13321024822ff34aa6e403

10:30 a.m.  Cry of the Werewolf (1944).

MV5BYzg5MTc3YmUtZTBhNS00MjlkLTgyZjYtNjIx

noon.  The Dark Past (1948).  With William Holden and Lee J. Cobb.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Fedya said:

How about An Enemy of the People at 9:00 AM.  It's still relevant today considering the obscene amount of bullying of anyone who doesn't tow the media and government health bureaucrats' line on coronavirus panic.

I had no idea that Bibi Andersson was in a movie with Steve McQueen. :o 

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 15

Nina Foch

Been awhile since I saw CRY OF THE WEREWOLF.

Looking forward to THE DARK PAST.

35 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Been awhile since I saw CRY OF THE WEREWOLF.

I'm gettin old, because I am a HARDCORE CLASSIC HORROR JUNKIE and damned if I don't know that I have ever seen this one. It's a columbia film from the same year that they did RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (also with FOCH and BELA LUGOSI) and which is possibly THE most atmospheric horror films of the golden era.

so i am DEFINITELY INTERESTED.

(NO TRAILER SEEMS TO EXIST)

w-cotw-1944.jpg

Sat, Aug 14 is Nina Foch day.   Haven't seen many of them, but I do like Cash McCall at 4:00PM ET.  Mainly a James Garner/Natalie Wood movie.  I wouldn't exactly call it a romance movie, but TCM does.

Nina Foch had a role in the two part finale of Route 66 TV series in 1964.

20 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 15

Nina Foch

I am fairly certain that scene from Cry of the Werewolf never happens in the film ... because it is actually a still from The Return of the Vampire. That's Matt Willis as the hairy guy.

As for The Dark Past, it is a variation (remake, if you like) on Blind Alley from 1939, which TCM has also shown. I think Blind Alley is the better version.

• Thanks 1

Sunday, August 16

Cary Grant

hisgirlfriday.jpg

11:45 a.m.  His Girl Friday (1940).  Marvellous banter between Grant and Rosalind Russell.

Really great film.

I do love the sparring between Grant and Russell.

(SPOILER ALERT):

Though once again Ralph Bellamy gets the shaft when it comes to getting the girl.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:29 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 15

Nina Foch

What is it with these women who love their bad boys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2