Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 26

Laurence Olivier.  Just too bad it does not include my favourite Best Actor performance of all time - Olivier in Richard III (1955).

Vivien-Leigh-That-Hamilton-Woman-1941-10

10:30 a.m.  That Hamilton Woman (1941).  With Vivien Leigh.

Too bad TCM isn't showing 'Rebecca' on Laurence Olivier's day.  Great cast---great story!  BTW...I think this post represents #10,000 for this thread alone.  Thanks for starting it Bogie56!  😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking ahead to Thursday and Claudette Colbert: Three Came Home is an excellent WWII prison camp drama; The Secret Heart gives June Allyson the chance to play an unsympathetic role as the stepdaughter who doesn't welcome Claudette into the family; and The Secret Fury can be recommended to Noir Alley fans and those who'd like to see Vivian Vance play someone other than Ethel Mertz.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 27

Claudette Colbert

The-Palm-Beach-Story-001.jpg?width=445&q

midnight.  The Palm Beach Story (1942).  Very funny Preston Sturges film.

I love a lot of STURGES'S films, but I have never warmed up to this movie- from the first time I saw it on AMC in the 1990's to when I every now and then catch some of it on TCM now.

however, on the same day, there is also this, which I've never seen, but sounds interesting...although MALTIN gives it THREE STARS

12:15 PM
B/W - 86 m

Synopsis: A runaway poetess helps a fugitive prove himself innocent of murder charges.
DirW. S. Van Dyke II CastClaudette Colbert , James Stewart , Guy Kibbee .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 W. S. Van Dyke II. Claudette Colbert, James Stewart, Guy Kibbee, Nat Pendleton, Frances Drake, Edgar Kennedy, Ernest Truex, Sidney Blackmer, Hans Conried. Screwball comedy with Colbert a runaway poetess, Stewart a fugitive chased by cops Pendleton and Kennedy. Very, very funny, with Stewart having a field day. Scripted by Ben Hecht, from his and Herman J. Mankiewicz' story. We swear by our eyes!

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 28

Paul Henreid

SZ-Sakall-Casablanca.jpg

midnight.  Casablanca (1942).  With Cuddles Sakall !  This was missing from his day.

Cagney had this photo on his wall as a dart board!

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 28

Paul Henreid

SZ-Sakall-Casablanca.jpg

midnight.  Casablanca (1942).  With Cuddles Sakall !  This was missing from his day.

Too bad the opening credits bill him as "S. K. Sakall."

For Friday morning's salute to Paul Henreid, Joan of Paris is a solid French Resistance drama with Michele Morgan; Deception is a must for fans of Bette Davis and Claude Rains; and Ida Lupino gets a juicy starring role opposite Henreid in In Our Time, set in Poland just before WWII begins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, August 29

Eva Marie Saint

on-the-waterfront-1954.jpg

6 p.m.  On the Waterfront (1954).  Saint’s Oscar winning performance.

MV5BZjRjOTZlMTgtZGQyOS00OTk4LWE5NGUtOWUy

3:45 a.m.  Loving (1970).  I really like this Irvin Kershner film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, August 30

You finally did it …. Charlton Heston !  Damn you all to hell I could pick a lot of these.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiPFWJsdNxG4k0iuq21d1

10 p.m.  Khartoum (1966).  As General Gordon in the Sudan.

• Like 2

Monday, August 31

Alain Delon

L%2527Insoumis.jpg

4:15 p.m.  Have I the Right to Kill aka The Unvanquished (1964).  Perhaps a bit more obscure than the others.

Le+Samourai+15.jpg

11:15 p.m.  Le Samouri (1967).  Very good Jean-Pierre Melville crime film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bogie, I believe TCM has shown Have I the Right To Kill before, and it's pretty good, with Alain Delon and Lea Massari in top form. However, for those just having one Alain Delon film, for me it's Purple Noon, brilliantly directed by Rene Clement. Delon is surprisingly good as a young male innocent in The Yellow Rolls Royce.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Bogie, I believe TCM has shown Have I the Right To Kill before, and it's pretty good, with Alain Delon and Lea Massari in top form. However, for those just having one Alain Delon film, for me it's Purple Noon, brilliantly directed by Rene Clement. Delon is surprisingly good as a young male innocent in The Yellow Rolls Royce.

There was a 1995 true murder case in England involving a Canadian who killed a rich person on a sail boat, weighted him to an anchor and dumped the body overboard then assumed his identity.  He lived with his daughter who was posing as his wife! The murder unravelled when the victim's body turned up in a fisherman's net and was identified by the Rolex watch he was wearing!

It was made into a TV MOW, AKA Albert Walker (2002) which was shot on the Isle of Man.  It would make a good double bill with Purple Noon (1960).  It was a big case in England and Canada 25 years ago and no one to my knowledge drew the Patricia Highsmith connection.

Check out the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Johnson_Walker

• Like 1

Tuesday, September 1

MV5BMzJmM2JmYWEtZjMyMS00YTM5LWI5MDEtMjYw

8 p.m.  Women Make Film: A New Road Movie Through Cinema (2018).  I guess this is part one of a 14 hour film.

Featured-160926-MerrillyWeGoToHell.jpg?s

9:15 p.m.  Merrily we Go to Hell (1932).  With Sylvia Sidney and Fredric March.  Not highly rated but I haven’t seen it.  NOT ON IN CANADA apparently.

EDa8pUdX4AACUTL.jpg

midnight.  Olivia (1951).  A rare chance to see this French film.  With Simone Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wednesday, September 2

It’s Showtime!  Bob Fosse night.

hqdefault.jpg

10:45 p.m.  All That Jazz (1979).  NB: I no longer see this listed on either the American or Canadian schedules but this time slot is blank.

• Like 1

Saturday, September 5

fleets-of-strenth-c2a9-max-fleischer.jpg

1 a.m.  Popeye: Fleets of Strength (1942).

bananas-four.jpg?w=1000&h=532

6:30 p.m.  Bananas (1971).  One of my all time favourite comedies.

wq1t354mkhq01.jpg

8 p.m.  The Kids Are Alright (1979), The Who, that’s Who.

2016060500003243.jpg

10 p.m.  Shine a Light (2008).  Martin Scorsese and The Rolling Stones.

• Like 1

Sunday, September 6

I’d go for all of these tonight …

image-w1280.jpg?1445872621

8 p.m.  The Song Remains the Same (1976).  Led Zeppelin.  I saw this, one reel at a time over the course of many weeks in the late 70’s.  The 99 cent Revue house that I frequented used to play one reel between the features.

jimi-hendrix-1973.jpg?quality=80&strip=a

10:30 p.m.  Jimi Hendrix (1973).

12:15 a.m.  Jimi Plays Monterey (1986).

1:45 a.m.  Shakel: Otis at Monterey (1987) by D.A. Pennebaker

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

8 p.m.  The Song Remains the Same (1976).  Led Zeppelin.  I saw this, one reel at a time over the course of many weeks in the late 70’s.  The 99 cent Revue house that I frequented used to play one reel between the features.

Wouldn't that be some sort of copyright infringement? I wonder how they were able to do that.

40 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Wouldn't that be some sort of copyright infringement? I wonder how they were able to do that.

No, they obviously had rented the 35mm print for about a month and then screened it one reel at a time over the course of a few weeks.  They played a reel like a short subject between features.

• Like 1

Monday, September 7

K9lGhLJMKBTmGwes7aaoJM3lRQJheX_medium.jp

9 a.m.  Louie Bluie (1985).  By Terry Zwigoff who made Crumb.

3.png

10:30 a.m.  Cuba Feliz (2000).  Cuban Street Music.  NB: Double check this one.  The film(s) at this time have now disappeared from the on-line schedule.

de531bc5c04ebd6e2aacd07c55844c5d.jpg

9:30 p.m.  Woodstock: The Director’s Cut (1970).  With Max Yasgur and others.

• Like 1