Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Wednesday, September 9

Mr_Belvedere_Goes_To_College_photo__7042

8 p.m.  Mr. Belvedere Goes to College (1949).  I saw this a million times as a kid.  Clifton Webb would crack me up.  Now only if they would play Mr. Scoutmaster (1953).

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TOMORROW AT 11:30 AM (and hopefully ON DEMAND thereafter)- not a great movie, but an interesting one. sort of an early version of THE RIVER WILD without the river.

OIP.pGk-PO7_BHkq3zTeyNW6HAHaFj?pid=Api&r

jeopardy-2.jpgBARBARA at her MOST STANWYCKIAN

I wouldn't have blamed Barbara if she'd ditched Barry Sullivan and ran off with Ralph Meeker! 

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I KNOW, RIGHT?

Barbara-Stanwyck-Actress-Ralph-Meeker-Ci

This is the film that introduced me  to Ralph Meeker.  After seeing this, I was like "where has he been all my life?"

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

This is the film that introduced me  to Ralph Meeker.  After seeing this, I was like "where has he been all my life?"

He originated the role of Hal Carter in the Broadway production of Picnic.  The film role was, of course, given to William Holden.  Apparently Meeker was offered the role but turned it down because he didn't want to sign a long-term contract with the production company.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

He originated the role of Hal Carter in the Broadway production of Picnic.  The film role was, of course, given to William Holden.  Apparently Meeker was offered the role but turned it down because he didn't want to sign a long-term contract with the production company.

Yes. I'd heard that before.  I think Meeker would have been just as good in the role as Holden.  He would have that sense of danger about him that Holden's drifter has.  I could see Kim Novak's character falling for him. 

I wonder if Meeker regretted not signing the long-term contract.  He isn't as well known as I think he should be. He at least made Kiss Me Deadly, which should give him a little bit of cinema immortality, at least.

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wonder if Meeker regretted not signing the long-term contract.  He isn't as well known as I think he should be. He at least made Kiss Me Deadly, which should give him a little bit of cinema immortality, at least.

You must not have seen PATHS OF GLORY!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You must not have seen PATHS OF GLORY!

I have seen Paths of Glory. I do remember him in that film as well. It was fantastic. I even bought the Criterion! 

Saturday, September 12

med_1453751692_image.jpg

10 am.m.  Popeye: Pip-Eye, Pup-Eye, Poop-Eye An’ Peep-Eye (1942).

SandPebbles1966.19601_120820141005.jpg

4:45 p.m.  The Sand Pebbles (1966).  With Oscar nominated Steve McQueen.

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, September 11/12

maxresdefault.jpg

5:15 a.m.  Sex Madness (1938).  A social diseases drama that gets a whopping 2.7 rating on the imdb.

A 2.7 rating?  Seriously?  Well, that settles it...this truly is "must-see TV"!

• Haha 4
On 9/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, midwestan said:

A 2.7 rating?  Seriously?  Well, that settles it...this truly is "must-see TV"!

I plan to record Sex Madness.  If it's on TCM, it has to be good.  Right?

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Underground is back!😁

Friday 9-11/ Saturday 9-12:

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

This is the greatest film of all time, from the greatest director of all time, starring the greatest Swedish actor of all time, featuring the greatest special effects of all time, along with the greatest script of all time. Now the costumes needed just a bit of work, but why nitpick.

Our story opens with Criswell (the greatest psychic of all time, sporting the greatest coiffure of all time) setting the stage for the spine-tingling story about to be played out before us. From there, we get tender scenes of Bela Lugosi, the greatest bloodsucker of all time, mourning at his dead wife’s funeral. Aliens from space, piloting the greatest flying saucers of all time, resurrect the wife, who is played by Vampira, the greatest television hostess of all time. She also has the greatest 2-inch waist of all time, and wears the greatest low-cut tight black dress of all time, which obviously made her funeral the greatest party of all time.

When the guys who buried her turn up dead, Tor Johnson, as Inspector Daniel Clay, springs into action. Johnson, the greatest wrestler of all time, turns in a force-de-Tor performance, proving that you can indeed make an actor out of Clay. His rendering of lines is impeccable. When a detective warns him that the cemetery is dark, Johnson casually shrugs him off by saying “I vill get one of flashlight from patrol car.” No one alive (or dead) could deliver a line like that.

I don’t want to spoil the fun for anyone who has not yet seen this classic, but there are a few more performances that must be considered noteworthy. John Breckenridge, as the leader of the aliens, gives the greatest performance of a gay man not trying to pretend he’s not gay. Dudley Manlove, as the alien Eros, gives the greatest exhibition of chest-puffing ever seen on the big screen. Joanna Lee, as the alien Tanna, wears the greatest leggings in the history of legging-dom. And to top it all off, Director Wood snagged two of the greatest superstars from the 1930s … that’s right, Lyle Talbot and Tom Keene.

Why wasn’t this film nominated as best picture?

To quote Dudley Manlove, “because all you of Earth are idiots!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Our story opens with Criswell (the greatest psychic of all time, sporting the greatest coiffure of all time) setting the stage for the spine-tingling story about to be played out before us.

"Future events such as these will affect you in the future! "😄

Sunday, September 13/14

Cteq_A-River-Called-Titas-750x400.jpg

2:45 a.m.  A River Called Titas (1973).  Bangladeshi film by Ritwik Ghatak.  This is no longer listed on the schedule but it has not been replaced by anything as yet.

Having watched "Sex Madness", I have to say the 2.7 IMDB rating was well-deserved.  If you argued that the rating was too generous, I would have most likely nodded in agreement!

• Haha 1

If you're looking for a noirish Monday afternoon double feature, Nobody Lives Forever and Cast a Dark Shadow would do nicely. Nobody Lives Forever: John Garfield is a con man, just back from WWII. His girlfriend (Faye Emerson) has dumped him, so he chooses a wealthy woman (Geraldine Fitzgerald) as his mark. Garfield and Fitzgerald have a surprising amount of chemistry, and Walter Brennan's turn as a weary and aging con man is my favorite of his performances, so much better than the lovable old codgers he played by the dozen.

Cast a Dark Shadow is basically a filmed play, but very well done, especially because Dirk Bogarde is the con man and the women are Mona Washbourne, Margaret Lockwood, and Kay Walsh.