Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 13/14

Cteq_A-River-Called-Titas-750x400.jpg

2:45 a.m.  A River Called Titas (1973).  Bangladeshi film by Ritwik Ghatak.  This is no longer listed on the schedule but it has not been replaced by anything as yet.

shows on my DTV sched @ 1:45 am (CT)

running 3 hr. 15 min

"The movie was based on a novel by the same name, written by Adwaita Mallabarman.[3] The movie explores the life of the fishermen on the bank of the Titas River in Brahmanbaria, Bangladesh. ......."

see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titash_Ekti_Nadir_Naam

:unsure:

W hat's with the screwy schedules lately??????????????

:blink:

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

shows on my DTV sched @ 1:45 am (CT)

running 3 hr. 15 min

"The movie was based on a novel by the same name, written by Adwaita Mallabarman.[3] The movie explores the life of the fishermen on the bank of the Titas River in Brahmanbaria, Bangladesh. ......."

see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titash_Ekti_Nadir_Naam

:unsure:

W hat's with the screwy schedules lately??????????????

:blink:

TCM

·
33m

Tonight at 2:45am ET join #TCMImports host

for A RIVER CALLED TITAS (’73), a Bangladeshi film about love lost and found on the river.

:)

• Like 2

Tuesday, September 15/16

MV5BN2JlMmExNjQtMWQ5OS00OGYzLTllODEtODYx

2:30 a.m.  Loving Couples (1964).  Mai Zetterling film with Harriet Andersson and Gunnel Lindblom.  A rarity!

The film is 2 hours and there in nothing else listed until 6:30 so something else must be in the 4:30 slot.  In Canada my cable box guide tells me that this is the Ida Lupino film, Pillow to Post (1945).

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, September 16

MV5BNWIyZjJkZjctMGEzNy00ZmU2LThmY2UtNTU2

6:15 p.m.  Cat Ballou (1965).  A very good comedy western and I love Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye.

This was Cole's last screen appearance, released four months after his death.

Friday 9/18 is a pretty damn good day on TCM, an all day GARBOPALOOZA in honor of her birthday, out of which I'll single out THE PAINTED VEIL (1934) because I saw it for the first time not too long ago and liked it quite a bit.

hqdefault.jpgSERVING "GLORIA ****ING SWANSON!" REALNESS.

Tonight's underground is a rare showing for the 1990 film WILD AT HEART, which I saw several times at age 12 on pay-per-view and have not seen since. I recall DIANE LADD giving a strong, if "out-there" performance- she got an Oscar nomination but lost to Whoopi Goldberg for GHOST.

200.gif SERVING "RED LOBSTER" REALNESS....

• Like 2

Sunday, September 20

131COLLAGE.JPG

10 p.m.  Tarzan’s Peril (1951).  With Lex Barker.  According to Leonard Maltin Dorothy Dandrige is “excellent” in a small role.

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing this when it was on the first time, but apparently "The Harlem Globetrotters" (1951) was on once before in 2012. The youtube print I saw of it about ten years ago was just awful. It needed lots of restoration work.  Tamango I've never heard of, but apparently Kino Classics  put out a DVD release of it last year, with a commentary track. Tamango has also been on TCM just once before.  Both are on tonight, September 20,  in honor of SOTM Dorothy Dandridge. Tamango is on at 8PM EST. Globetrotters is on at 11:30PM.

• Like 1

Tuesday, September 22

j15dz2eyfulwcihw3dkt.jpg

6:30 p.m.  Brief Encounter (1945).  Beautiful David Lean film with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson.

Cave.jpg?resize=600,400

9:15 p.m.  Cave of the Yellow Dog (2005).  Part of the Women Make Film night.  Someone with a sense of humour has replaced this in Canada with Courage of Lassie (1946) by Fred Wilcox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 22

Cave.jpg?resize=600,400

9:15 p.m.  Cave of the Yellow Dog (2005).  Part of the Women Make Film night.  Someone with a sense of humour has replaced this in Canada with Courage of Lassie (1946) by Fred Wilcox.

I have to laugh. What has "Courage of Lassie" got to do with women in film? The director and the writer are both men. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I have to laugh. What has "Courage of Lassie" got to do with women in film? The director and the writer are both men. 

Both films have yellow dogs, I suppose.  :lol:

• Haha 1

ALL KIDDING ASIDE, A CRY IN THE DARK (1988) is THE film to show that person you know who thinks that MERYL STREEP is overrated and too mechanical an actress.

If I had to make a list of the 10 finest performances on film that I have ever seen, her work in this would in all likelihood be on it.

OIP.c-gq3WP46q2to7T34ES2tgHaKX?pid=Api&r

would make a GREAT DOUBLE FEATURE with DOUBLE INDEMNITY: BAD WIGS, GREAT PERFORMANCES.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

And if I recall, even LASSIE was portrayed by a male dog!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Loran: Meryl Streep is great in A Cry in the Dark, and Sam Neill has a wonderful scene where he is brutally cross-examined. Not many actors with leading man looks (Sam Neill in the TV miniseries Reilly, Ace of Spies was sizzling hot) would be willing to play the role of a husband completely dominated by his unpleasant wife.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, September 23

Mickey Rooney’s 100th Birthday Tribute.

MV5BM2M1YTc5MjMtOThhNS00MmRiLThmNWEtNjM1

4:30 a.m.  Killer McCoy (1947).  Well you have to hand it to him.  Mickey Rooney did just about everything in his career including playing a boxer in this one.

• Like 2

Friday, September 25

Two crazy Italian science fiction films:

waroftheplanets00-640x371.jpg

6:45 a.m.  War of the Planets (1965)

V8xf4Ib2S0j76BsjcJkDw--rqpqnb-Uv3dz7DvEx

2:45 p.m.  The Wild, Wild Planet (1965)

ia9NPrYmBjaCgzQbJCQihS7jQYZqjepE8m_-5Vgz

4:15 a.m.  J.C. (1972).  Jesus is born again and becomes a biker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/16/2020 at 4:26 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 17

51eqiAR6b9L.jpg

midnight.  A Man to Remember (1938).  A small town doctor fights crooked politicians during a polio pandemic.

Love this film.  A tour de force for the wonderful Edward Ellis.

• Like 1

Saturday, September 26

x1080

10 a.m.  Popeye: Many Tanks (1942).

ustinov.png?w=736

2 p.m.  Quo Vadis (1951).  Nero fiddles while Rome burns.  I guess today’s equivalent would see a leader go golfing during a pandemic.

Sunday, September 27

Dorothy Dandridge SOTM

739826dd48dc4a3911071e861b0fa47d.jpg

8 p.m.  Island In the Sun (1957).  Good cast in this one:  James Mason, Dorothy Dandridge, Joan Fontaine, Michael Rennie, Stephen Boyd, Harry Belafonte and Joan Collins!   Leonard Maltin calls it a misfire but I haven’t seen it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1