Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

Tuesday, September 29/30

Women Make Film

W1siZiIsIjMxNjYzNiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQi

4 a.m.  We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011).  Not an easy going film by any means but I really liked it.  The kids playing Kevin as he grows up are very good.  Replaced in Canada with The Power (1968) directed by Byron Haskin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They're having a spotlight tonight on films that starred people with (it would seem) real life disabilities- at midnight is a strange film, THE SIGN OF THE RAM (1948)  a suspense thriller that starred paralyzed actress SUSAN PETERS (of RANDOM HARVEST fame) shortly before her death. I've tried watching it before and it is a bit pot-boilerish for me, but PETERS was a good actress and a sad story.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 11:13 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALL KIDDING ASIDE, A CRY IN THE DARK (1988) is THE film to show that person you know who thinks that MERYL STREEP is overrated and too mechanical an actress.

It's also THE film to show for an abject example of media inciting hatred of icky, wrong-thinking people, a topic that's still very relevant today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, September 30

MV5BNzI0NjY2MDQtOTk2Mi00ZDVjLWE5ODAtZjIx

6 a.m.  Wasp (2003).  According to the imdb this is a 26 minute short subject that won an Academy Award.

 

xxy-2007.jpg

6:30 a.m.  XXY (2007).  Argentinian film with Ricardo Darin.

 

58cb3d6111750.image.jpg

8:15 a.m.  My American Cousin (1986).  A quaint little Canadian film.  Not to be confused with Our American Cousin, the play Lincoln attended at the Ford theatre.

 

ti110264.jpg

8 p.m.  Stand and Deliver (1988).  With Edward James Olmos.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, October 1

ae27d7c255965543c2345016559aec1a.jpeg

8 p.m.  La Strada (1954).  I haven’t seen this Federico Fellini film in ages.  Giulietta Masina and Anthony Quinn are both excellent in it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, October 3

Well, we are now into October.  I wonder if there will be any surprises?

 

MV5BMzZmMzk0M2MtYWVmOC00ZDlkLTgwMzItY2Ux

5:15 a.m.  The Relaxed Wife (1957).  The modern miracle of tranquillizers help the housewife deal with stress.

 

340?cb=20200120003525

10 a.m.  Popeye: Baby Wants a Bottleship (1942).

 

EB20010902REVIEWS08109020301AR.jpg

8 p.m.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962).  A great film IMO and Omar Shariff is outstanding.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, October 5

the-end-of-the-affair-41.jpg

9:30 p.m.  The End of the Affair (1955).  Neither this or the 1999 remake are anywhere near as good as the Graham Greene novel.  That said, it isn’t bad.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, October 6

Meeks-Cutoff-007.jpg?width=445&quality=8

12:30 a.m.  Meek’s Cutoff (2010).  I caught this one in the theatre and wished that I hadn't.

[Spoilers]

If this old 'Spoilers' function was working I would tell you why I didn't care for it.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 6

 

[Spoilers]

If this old 'Spoilers' function was working I would tell you why I didn't care for it.

I was *just* thinking how much i missed the [spoiler] function.

I also have to apologize, because I like this thread a lot and try to contribute when I can, but the BRAND NEW AND IMPROVED SUPERSMART HI-RES, HANDY DANDY INTUITIVE SCHEDULE CRASHES  MY COMPUTER EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME I TRY TO OPEN IT, so if it stays that way, sadly I will not be able to contribute anymore OR HAVE a clue WHAT THE HELL IS PLAYING ON TCM.

On that note, anyone know what MONSTER MOVIES played on Friday?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to Sunday, the 4th----

I'm still giddy from an evening devoted to my most well liked silent film star/maker...  BUSTER KEATON.  First, the wonderful documentary of his life and career followed by three of his films near the top of my list.  THE GENERAL,  SHERLOCK Jr. and STEAMBOAT BILL Jr.   And although the spelling was different, the pronunciation of Keaton's "Friend's" name was on the money.....

JOSEPH M. SCHENCK, pronounced "S K A N K"!   :angry:

Sepiatone

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was *just* thinking how much i missed the [spoiler] function.

I also have to apologize, because I like this thread a lot and try to contribute when I can, but the BRAND NEW AND IMPROVED SUPERSMART HI-RES, HANDY DANDY INTUITIVE SCHEDULE CRASHES  MY COMPUTER EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME I TRY TO OPEN IT, so if it stays that way, sadly I will not be able to contribute anymore OR HAVE a clue WHAT THE HELL IS PLAYING ON TCM.

On that note, anyone know what MONSTER MOVIES played on Friday?

I watched most of Friday night's programming.  I started at the tail end of Dracula.  Then I watched Cat People and House on Haunted Hill.  I watched the beginning of The Haunting, but then went to bed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Meeks-Cutoff-007.jpg?width=445&quality=8

12:30 a.m.  Meek’s Cutoff (2010).  I caught this one in the theatre and wished that I hadn't.

They stopped their wagons and cut off their meeks?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Going back to Sunday, the 4th----

I'm still giddy from an evening devoted to my most well liked silent film star/maker...  BUSTER KEATON.  First, the wonderful documentary of his life and career followed by three of his films near the top of my list.  THE GENERAL,  SHERLOCK Jr. and STEAMBOAT BILL Jr.   And although the spelling was different, the pronunciation of Keaton's "Friend's" name was on the money.....

JOSEPH M. SCHENCK, pronounced "S K A N K"!   :angry:

Sepiatone

I caught part of the Keaton presentation.   He was in an episode of Route 66 in 1962 I think.  Had a featured role.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, October 7

image-w1280.jpg?1580827464

8 a.m.  The Erl King (1931).   I have never heard of this film by Marie- Louise Iribe.

 

FaceInCrowd.jpg

10:15 p.m.  A Face In the Crowd (1957).  Andy Griffith stars as a populist con man who somehow becomes a successful politician.  Far-fetched.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, October 10

alona-on-the-sarong-seas-c2a9-paramount.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Alona the Sarong Seas (1942).

 

e2eabc077612686c3d1cd09128161334.jpg

noon.  Tarzan the Ape Man (1932).  This was a big favourite when I was a kid.  I can only imagine what it was like for kids when it first came out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, October 13

d7b2033d458f52db79dee271392.png

3:30 p.m.  The V.I.P.’s (1963).  I just watched this again two night ago.  Liz and Dick may be the headliners but the gems are in the supporting performances.  Margaret Rutherford won an Oscar.  Maggie Smith is very good too in what could have been a cliched part.  Rod Taylor goes full down under.  Orson Welles channelling Alexander Korda is great fun and Louis Jourdan has some great dialogue courtesy of Terrence Ratigan.  A guilty pleasure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

this afternoon..........

"Creature from the Haunted Sea is a 1961 Horror comedy film directed by Roger Corman. Written by Charles B. Griffith, the film is a parody of spy, gangster, and monster movies (mostly "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"), concerning a secret agent, XK150 (played by Robert Towne under the pseudonym "Edward Wain"), who goes under the code name "Sparks Moran" in order to infiltrate a criminal gang led by Renzo Capetto (Antony Carbone), who is trying to transport a colonel, a group of exiled Cuban nationals, and a large portion of the Cuban treasury out of the country. ........

:lol:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

this afternoon..........

"Creature from the Haunted Sea is a 1961 Horror comedy film directed by Roger Corman. Written by Charles B. Griffith, the film is a parody of spy, gangster, and monster movies (mostly "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"), concerning a secret agent, XK150 (played by Robert Towne under the pseudonym "Edward Wain"), who goes under the code name "Sparks Moran" in order to infiltrate a criminal gang led by Renzo Capetto (Antony Carbone), who is trying to transport a colonel, a group of exiled Cuban nationals, and a large portion of the Cuban treasury out of the country. ........

:lol:

 

The "creature" in that screen grab looks more like a cuddly Jim Henson muppet than a terrifying sea creature

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...