Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

40 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Anyone who isn't trying to pretend they're not that kind of person.  ;)   And probably those who are still MARILYN CHAMBERS fans!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

I watched something on TV last week in which she starred.  Forget what it was or what network.  Think it was a horror type movie maybe?  Didn't watch all of it.  Never saw her in anything else.

21 hours ago, Fedya said:

Tonight's Silent Sunday Nights movie is Behind the Door, with a young Wallace Beery, overnight at 12:15 AM.

No mention whether the door is green.

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

Wonder how many got this?

Only the people who use Ivory Snow.

• Haha 5

Wednesday, November 4

98GvLlYtJIJJhCtJCZxZ61nsr3t.jpg

7 a.m.  Stolen Life or Sheng Si Jie (2005). If election results are going to make you ill this might be a good alternative.

7ec3558b347057d41e746535377a8369.png

4:15 p.m.  High Sierra (1941).  Humphrey Bogart and Ida Lupino.

MV5BZmMzZjUwZGItM2FkYS00YTQyLTg2M2MtNjJl

7:30 p.m.  Yosemite the Magnificent (1941).  Too bad we couldn’t have Donald Trump introduce this short subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to "Too Late for Tears," tonight at 8.  With most of the film noirs coming on late Saturday,  (too late for me)  I've missed them.

This one is a favorite of mine.  I love the moment when  weaselly thug, Dan Duryea, realizes the timid housewife he had figured on intimidating is way more evil than he is.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm looking forward to "Too Late for Tears," tonight at 8.  With most of the film noirs coming on late Saturday,  (too late for me)  I've missed them.

This one is a favorite of mine.  I love the moment when  weaselly thug, Dan Duryea, realizes the timid housewife he had figured on intimidating is way more evil than he is.

Yea,  very good movie and great last scene with Scott and Duryea.    But Dan doesn't get much time to reflect on how on evil the femme fatale is!

• Like 1

Saturday, November 7

ch015-001.jpg?w=584

10 a.m.  Popeye: Me Musical Nephews (1942).

It’s Trad, Dad! (1961).  This Richard Lester film was to play at 9:45 p.m. but it has been dropped from the schedule.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

The Circle (1925).  Frank Borzage film with Eleanor Boardman

I'm really looking forward to this one; I've never seen it.

*OFF TOPIC-  Has anyone seen a "This Month On TCM" on screen montage for November ?  Usually they run them into the ground but I have yet to see one even once since Nov 1st. I can't even find one on their YouTube channel.

Monday, November 9

Shelley Winters SOTM

lolita+4.jpg

8 p.m.  Lolita (1962).  Shelley as ‘that Haze woman.’  This is my favourite supporting actress performance of all time.   “Excuse the soiled sock.”

• Like 2

Tuesday, November 10

Women Make Film

hurt-locker-1200-1200-675-675-crop-00000

12:30 a.m.  The Hurt Locker (2008).   Best Picture Oscar winner by Kathryn Bigelow.  Sure, it’s not an old film but there are more films by women to pick from in recent years.  Replaced in Canada with Kelly’s Heroes (1970).

• Like 1

Thursday, November 12, 9:30 pm (EST)

Come Next Spring (1956)

Charming bucolic tale about a man who returns to his Arkansas farm nine years after walking out on his family, now sober after years of drinking. The community is disdainful of him but his wife gives him a second chance after seeing her children's positive response to him. A tale of redemption, this gentle little film has a sweetness without ever seeming cloying. Ann Sheridan is fine in her third last film, cast as the farm woman, while Steve Cochran, normally a screen tough guy, does a lovely, sensitive turn as the husband.

Cochran's company  was involved in producing this film but the actor had friction with Herbert Yates of Republic Pictures, which had the film playing on the bottom half of a double bill. Ann Sheridan badly needed a hit at this point in her career, not having had one since I Was A Male War Bride seven years before, and she had hopes this film might be it. It didn't happen but Come Next Spring remains a lovely tender little drama. Walter Brennan co-stars, along with a very sweet performance from Sherry Jackson as the couple's shy mute daughter.

I believe this may be a TCM premiere.

MV5BNzgxM2E1ODQtNWU4My00YTIxLWI0MTQtNTBm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Ada, 6:00 AM, Nov 12.  Amusing movie with Susan Hayward and Dean Martin.

Amusing movie?         Why,  because you found the political situations over-the-top and improbable?     

All I know is that Ada and Bo didn't find this guy very amusing:

Wilfrid Hyde-White in Ada trailer (2).jpg

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Amusing movie?         Why,  because you found the political situations over-the-top and improbable?     

All I know is that Ada and Bo didn't find this guy very amusing:

Wilfrid Hyde-White in Ada trailer (2).jpg

And it was set in Hollywood's version of The South.🤣

Did anyone else see Un carnet de bal? Julien Duvivier is becoming one of my favorite directors, and I hope TCM will be able to show more of his French-language films. Most of the Duvivier films I've seen were available on a website which has now been closed down. When Christine (Marie Bell) is left widowed after a less than happy marriage to a rich man, she decides to seek out the men on her dance card when she attended her first dance at age sixteen. All of them swore to love her forever. She encounters some of the best-known actors of the time, each with a great role to play: Harry Baur as a monk, Louis Jouvet as an attorney turned nightclub owner, Raimu as a provincial mayor, Fernandel as a married (but, one infers, gay) hairdresser; Francoise Rosay as the mother of one of the boys. Pierre Blanchar plays a doctor fallen on very hard times.

The starry cast is matched by the excellence of the other elements: costumes, cinematography (including the use of tilted shots for the scene with the doctor), set design, sound, the haunting waltz composed by Maurice Jaubert. A shot-by-shot analysis would show Duvivier's mastery. No Hollywood film of the 30s could have been as frank about abortion or showed the dancers in the nightclub topless at the end of their routine. Duvivier doesn't make much of the toplessness. It's there, unemphasized, as the nightclub's real business of prostitution and theft goes on.

• Like 5