Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 12/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, TomJH said:

Meanwhile Canadians with TCM, as usual, don't get access to Hal Roach Studios, therefore get stuck with the Bowery Boys. What have we done to be so punished?

You're Canadians.  Do you really have to ask?  :P

Friday, December 11

bbe72b73-d237-4dca-9a6a-c994aea9e56a-Mar

10 p.m.  Marsha Hunt’s Sweet Adversity (2015).  Recent documentary that looks very interesting.

EcasL0eXkAE3Cry.jpg

11:30 p.m.  What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael (2018).  Replaced in Canada with Singin’ in the Rain (1952).

91QCS8Es6SL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

1:15 a.m.  For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism (2009).

MV5BZTFkYTRmNGYtZDU3OS00NTQ5LTg3YTktYzI5

4:30 a.m.  The Panic In Needle Park (1971).  Pretty good low budget film with Al Pacino and Kitty Winn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saturday, December 12

340?cb=20140514034258

10 a.m.  Popeye: Spinach For Britain (1942).  Germany had no chance after this.

latest?cb=20140522044848

5:15 a.m.  Invasion of Astro Monster aka Monster Zero (1965).  Co-starring Godzilla

23 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I saw it a year or two ago.  It was made by Desilu.  I believe that's why Welles appeared on I Love Lucy.

The pilot received a Peabody award, the only unsold pilot to do so thus far.

It's a shame Desi Arnaz didn't stick with Desilu longer.  Would have been interesting to see what would come of it.

Monday, December 14

End2CEpVQAQtibX.jpg

Laurel & Hardy SOTM - Replaced in Canada with the Bowery Boys

MusicBox1.png

6:12 p.m.  The Music Box (1932).  Oscar winning short.

2ccc561298a14151965d61b352942e29

10:45 p.m.  Our Relations (1936).  This is my favourite Laurel and Hardy feature where they play mis-matched twins.  By Leo McCarey when he was at his best.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Someone on the other thread speculated that TCM has had the list internally and was waiting for the LoC to make their announcement before updating their online schedule.  This would seem to confirm that, as they would need more time than 24 hours to get these discussions between Jacqueline Stewart and Carla Hayden ready for air.

Friday, December 18/19

DuKvA0sWwAAOjxr.jpg

4 a.m.  The Silent Partner (1978).  Christopher Plummer makes a pretty good villain in this one.  John Candy and the beautiful Celine Lomez co-star.  Shot in part in Toronto’s newly built Eaton Centre.

Replaced in Canada with the Jim Brown film, The Slams (1973).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, December 18/19

DuKvA0sWwAAOjxr.jpg

4 a.m.  The Silent Partner (1978).  Christopher Plummer makes a pretty good villain in this one.  John Candy and the beautiful Celine Lomez co-star.  Shot in part in Toronto’s newly built Eaton Centre.

Replaced in Canada with the Jim Brown film, The Slams (1973).

I've never seen either film you mention here Bogie, but I think it's rather odd that a movie shot partially in Canada and co-starring one the Dominion's comedic icons cannot be seen north of the 49th.  Well, I guess it beats a TV screen with a test pattern on it.  😐🎅

2 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I've never seen either film you mention here Bogie, but I think it's rather odd that a movie shot partially in Canada and co-starring one the Dominion's comedic icons cannot be seen north of the 49th.  Well, I guess it beats a TV screen with a test pattern on it.  😐🎅

The Silent Partner was a Canadian production but it may have had some establishing shots that placed the story in the U.S..  I cannot recall right now.  

I have a dvd of it.  

• Like 1
On 12/17/2020 at 6:54 AM, Bogie56 said:

The Silent Partner was a Canadian production but it may have had some establishing shots that placed the story in the U.S..  I cannot recall right now.  

I have a dvd of it.  

The story no doubt takes place in Toronto.  But is based on a book in which the story takes place in  Copenhagen, Denmark ("Think Of A Number" by Anders Bodelsen)   It is one of the movies on my short list of "Movies better than the books"  And is a purely Canadian production right down to excellent Canadian jazz pianist OSCAR PETERSON providing the score.  Luckily, I have this flick on both DVD and tape and won't have to try to catch it in what I consider the middle of the night.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, December 19

Durbin.Train.jpg

10 p.m.  Lady on a Train (1945).  with Deanna Durbin and Ralph Bellamy.

I liked this movie.  It was like a screwball film noir.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I liked this movie.  It was like a screwball film noir.  

Yea,  well done comedic noir film.    Also a first rate cast with other actors,  many just starting to make-it,  like Dan Duryea.

Also the lovely Patricia Morison (playing the not-so-nice gal she was so good at playing).

LADY ON A TRAIN | Lady on a train, Deanna durbin, Hollywood actorPatricia Morison, original leading lady of 'Kiss Me, Kate' – obituary

• Like 1