Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

Wednesday, January 6

listendarling1938.81489.jpg

5 p.m.  Listen Darling (1938).  With Judy Garland and Freddie Bartholomew.  I’ve never seen this one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 3:50 AM, Bogie56 said:

Replaced in Canada with Tiger Shark (1932) and Alone In the Dark (1982) respectively.

I believe that all of Almodovar films will be replaced on TCM Canada.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, January 9

MV5BMzQyOTQxYzctOWM0MC00NDNjLWE2MTItN2Ew

8 a.m.  The Bookworm Turns (1940).  Animated short featuring Mel Blanc.

 

170228-king-kong-04-1024x669.jpg

6 p.m.  King Kong (1933).  Featuring the big guy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 2:04 PM, speedracer5 said:

 I just saw Phantom Lady recently, which was my first Ella Raines film.  She looks like she could have been Gene Tierney's sister. I really liked Ella's character in Phantom Lady, so I'm interested to see her in another film. 

Re:  Ella Raines resemblance to Gene Tierney  --  I thought exactly the same thing.  I really like Ella Raines.  Phantom Lady is terrific.  A shame she didn't do more films.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lydecker said:

Re:  Ella Raines resemblance to Gene Tierney  --  I thought exactly the same thing.  I really like Ella Raines.  Phantom Lady is terrific.  A shame she didn't do more films.

Ella was fantastic.  I still need to watch The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry.  Maybe I'll watch it tonight.  I loved Phantom Lady.  Elisha Cook Jr was amazing. Franchot Tone was fantastic. I loved Siodmak's use of light when it came to highlighting Tone's hands. I have Ella's Impact on my DVR.  I'll need to watch that one as well.  And she was in Cry Havoc which is also on my DVR.  

I also really love Robert Siodmak.  He might be my favorite film noir director.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ella was fantastic.  I still need to watch The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry.  Maybe I'll watch it tonight.  I loved Phantom Lady.  Elisha Cook Jr was amazing. Franchot Tone was fantastic. I loved Siodmak's use of light when it came to highlighting Tone's hands. I have Ella's Impact on my DVR.  I'll need to watch that one as well.  And she was in Cry Havoc which is also on my DVR.  

I also really love Robert Siodmak.  He might be my favorite film noir director.

I went up to IMDB today to check her filmography and it's longer than I would have thought.  A few films obscure Universal films I'm going to see if I can find since, of course, we are unlikely to ever see on TCM.  Some of the ones I'd be interested in include:  Time Out of Mind, 1947 (Siodmak directed) The Web, 1947 and The Suspect , 1944 (also Siodmak.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

I went up to IMDB today to check her filmography and it's longer than I would have thought.  A few films obscure Universal films I'm going to see if I can find since, of course, we are unlikely to ever see on TCM.  Some of the ones I'd be interested in include:  Time Out of Mind, 1947 (Siodmak directed) The Web, 1947 and The Suspect , 1944 (also Siodmak.)

Interesting.  I wonder if these films are available in any capacity.  Siodmak must have liked Ella to have worked with her so many times.

EDIT: "The Suspect" seems to be on You Tube.  Who knows what the quality will be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 11

Rod Taylor’s birthday.

183475.1020.A_enl__53785.1354407291.1000

2:30 p.m.  Trader Horn (1973).  I haven’t seen this version.

I had to look up these theatres, as I was intrigued by the drive-in's name.

Naturally, it's in Calgary, AB, home of the annual Stampede.

The other theatre was originally a twin theatre, and then converted into a tri-plex just after this movie came out.  Apparently, it's now a dinner theatre/nightclub.  Seems odd to me that a big first-run promotion would run at a drive-in.  Where I lived, the drive-ins were mostly a 2nd run circuit, usually with horror movies or movies aimed at teens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, January 12

feat3.jpg?w=736

9:45 p.m.  The Mark of Zorro (1940).  With Tyrone Power, Akim Tamiroff and Basil Rathbone.

Edited by Bogie56
original photo now N/A
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 12

_zbq08p0iUy_JE7GiAO5ADhGM9ERU9JOAt_GcT7z

9:45 p.m.  The Mark of Zorro (1940).  With Tyrone Power, Akim Tamiroff and Basil Rathbone.

Oops ... I think you meant J. Edward Bromberg, not Akim Tamiroff ... unless you are confusing Tamiroff with Linda Darnell.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, January 13

kim.jpg

3:15 p.m.  Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964).  With super performances by both Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Oops ... I think you meant J. Edward Bromberg, not Akim Tamiroff ... unless you are confusing Tamiroff with Linda Darnell.

Yes, I got their toupees mixed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, January 14

1b62da69dbd7913f6bbd4025de3519f7.jpg

6:30 a.m.  Le Notti Blanche (1957).  Luchino Visconti film with Marcello Mastroianni and Maria Schell.  The scene (above) where Mastroianni dances is as funny as any dance that Chaplin did.  Recommended.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure they are special, but 

1-14  1:15AM Mystery of the 13th Guest (1943) rare old Monogram

            2:30AM  Before Midnight (1934) Columbia that hasn't aired since 2010. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 5:48 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, January 11

Rod Taylor’s birthday.

183475.1020.A_enl__53785.1354407291.1000

2:30 p.m.  Trader Horn (1973).  I haven’t seen this version.

Some pre-code material should STAY in the pre-code era. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, January 15

Ann Miller day

too-many-girls4.jpg?w=584&h=436

6 a.m.  Too Many Girls (1940).  WIth Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

 

MV5BYzEzNTYyYWUtM2FjOC00M2E1LTg3ZDEtNzc2

3:45 p.m.  Kisses For My President (1964).  About America’s first female President.  This was made 57 years ago.

 

R-6301498-1424009202-4021.jpeg.jpg

4 a.m.  Pipe Dreams (1976).  Gladys Knight received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Acting Debut.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...