Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, January 26

PDVD_016_001.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Road to Utopia (1945).  My favourite Hope & Crosby road picture with a great gag ending.

Six Bridges to Cross (1955), an early Tony Curtis film has been scratched from its 6 p.m. slot.

That's a shame about Six Bridges To Cross. It is a very good film and a Universal to boot, so it seldom gets an audience.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, January 29/30

4c74d6b3dfd1332401553d5d33d467b8.jpg

2 a.m.  When a Stranger Calls (1979).  TCM Underground with Carol Kane

THIS looks promising too...... :unsure:

".........A chilling movie where nothing is what it seems. You spend the entire film trying to discern who the "villain" is. This sort of thing must have impeccable acting to succeed, and does. McDowell is exquisite, the perfect choice.

Subsequent viewings are also rewarding, but you watch the movie from a complete different perspective........

• Like 1

If you haven't seen A Man Called Adam (1966), which is right after Sounder, you'll see a fine if little-known film with an excellent cast topped by a stunningly real performance by Cicely Tyson. Previously I had not had a strong choice for Best Actress of 1966, but I do now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, February 1

6_johnwayne.jpg

11:45 p.m.  The Conqueror (1956),  With the Duke as Genghis Khan!

Yes! Thank you for posting this.  I had this on my DVR when it aired the last time, and then my DVR died and I lost all my content.  Now I can get it back.  I've always wanted to see this movie due to its infamous history and lasting "legacy" (if you can call it that). 

On 1/31/2021 at 5:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, February 1

6_johnwayne.jpg

11:45 p.m.  The Conqueror (1956),  With the Duke as Genghis Khan!

This is part of TCM's block of terrible movies on tonight.

Wednesday, February 3

8594.D_1200_700.jpg?1526403946

8 p.m.  Cry, the Beloved Country (1951).  This Zoltan Korda film is really worth a look.  It has some fine performances by Charles Carson, Canada Lee, Joyce Carey and Sidney Poitier.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, February 4

love_in_afternoon_photo4.jpg

midnight.  Love In the Afternoon (1957).  I saw this recently and as much as I like Billy Wilder, Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn I thought this was a real dud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 4

love_in_afternoon_photo4.jpg

midnight.  Love In the Afternoon (1957).  I saw this recently and as much as I like Billy Wilder, Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn I thought this was a real dud.

As improbable as it is, I always enjoy this film. I love the scene between Gary Cooper and his band of gypsies in which they are sending the cart of liquor back and forth from one room to another, each time the music getting clumsier and slower until finally some of them are passed out on the floor. 😄

John Mc Giver steals the show as a jealous husband and I think this is one of Maurice Chevalier's best performances.

• Like 1

Saturday, February 6/7

wp7077174.jpg

1:45 a.m.  Dog Day Afternoon (1975).  Good Sidney Lumet film with Al Pacino, Charles Durning and the late great, John Cazale.

• Like 5

Sunday, February 7

thekillerthatstalkednewyork1950.80264.jp

10 a.m.  The Killer That Stalked New York (1950).  Eddie Muller’s Noir Alley in case you missed it at midnight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, January 31

71VoNzFfETL.jpg

6 a.m.  Gabriel Over the White House (1933).  A crooked President reforms mysteriously.  Pure fantasy.

Great dust jacket!

Thursday, February 11

MV5BM2ZlNWM5NmEtNWJhMC00NDkzLThlYWUtYjU5

6 a.m.  She Had to Say Yes (1933).  I haven’t seen this Loretta Young picture.  But it also has Hugh Herbert in it whom I’m allergic to.