Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Another on my short list of "Movies as good as the book."  Which I read long before ever seeing the movie.  And I can't complain about the casting at all.  

Sepiatone

433145814ca05cdf073d134f1f5faef7.jpg 41A.-In-Cold-Blood.jpg

I still remember Capote's description of Dick Hickock which paraphrasing went something like, "his face was like an apple that had been cut in half and one side had slid down."

That is probably a mutilation of what Capote really wrote.  But as far as the casting goes, you couldn't get better.

• Like 2

Tuesday, February 16/17

John Garfield SOTM

tortilla-flat-film-caacdc1e-6f84-4e93-83

5:45 a.m.  Tortilla Flat (1942).  With Garfield, Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr.  But the real stars are the character actors  Frank Morgan, John Qualen, Akim Tamiroff and Allen Jenkins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife HATED that movie!  Said she's never seen so many otherwise good actors do such PIZZ-POOR imitations of Mexicans.  Said even the "little jew" Eli Wallach did Latino character CIRCLES around the cast of "Tortila Flats".  ;)   And you know, both Anthony Quinn( Mexican) and Cesar Romero (Cuban/Spanish) were active and recognizable actors when this movie was made, and likely a few other actual Latino actors, enough to NOT make the undoubtedly insult to Hispanics this stinkbomb (IMHO) is.  

But, what else is to be expected from a business run by "Whettoes"  in 1940's Honkeywood?  ;) 

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, ElCid said:

He was born in Georgia.  Not sure what "looks like a Southerner" is supposed to mean.

If you grew up in the South, it's impossible to buy, say, Tony Curtis in The Defiant Ones or Rod Steiger in In the Heat of the Night as Southerners. They're just actors playing parts. Maybe Curtis is from the South Bronx. The South did not have the same ethnic mix as cities like New York or Boston or Chicago. Ethnic slurs, as opposed to racial slurs, were unknown in the South prior to All in the Family. I remember being in Baltimore about 1967-68 when someone mentioned Polish jokes. "Polish jokes?" I asked. "Yeah, you know, Polish jokes." "What are Polish jokes?"

At that time no one knew or cared what country in Europe their ancestors were from unless they were doing genealogy to belong to the DAR and the UDC.

Gene Hackman, who grew up in Missouri, is another actor who looks Southern, which made him especially believable as Buck Barrow in Bonnie and Clyde.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

My wife HATED that movie!  Said she's never seen so many otherwise good actors do such PIZZ-POOR imitations of Mexicans.  Said even the "little jew" Eli Wallach did Latino character CIRCLES around the cast of "Tortila Flats".  ;)   And you know, both Anthony Quinn( Mexican) and Cesar Romero (Cuban/Spanish) were active and recognizable actors when this movie was made, and likely a few other actual Latino actors, enough to NOT make the undoubtedly insult to Hispanics this stinkbomb (IMHO) is.  

But, what else is to be expected from a business run by "Whettoes"  in 1940's Honkeywood?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Well, for me that only added to its humour.   Let's not forget Hungarian, Hedy Lamarr as Dolores Rodriguez!  This was in the day when if you sounded foreign you could play any ethnicity.  Tamiroff played Mexican, Spanish, Asian, etc.  

I'm just guessing, but Speedy Gonzales' sidekicks may owe something to Pilon's crew.

e41183874e602dfe5bd4f3bb340c38fa.jpg

• Haha 1

Oddly enough, she thought Speedy was "cute".

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, February 17

Pawnbroker-Shop-Windiw_630_354.png

9:45 p.m.  The Pawnbroker (1965).  Sidney Lumet film with Rod Steiger.

So....   ANOTHER chubby pawnbroker?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Thursday, February 18

502ced80d61ead5b671c8c0a07b609fb.jpg

6:15 p.m.  The Front Page (1931).  Part of the Adolphe Menjou birthday tribute.  Pre TCM I recall coming across a public domain VHS copy of this in a Supermarket bin and thinking that I had hit the jackpot.

• Like 3

Friday, February 19

maxresdefault.jpg

8 p.m.  Gun Crazy (1950).  Seeing this who would have thought Peggy Cummins was from Wales.

welsh-flag.jpg

Note to TCM: We get St. Patrick’s Day every year.  How about doing something for St. David’s Day, March 1st and celebrate Welsh actors and stories!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 2/20/2021 at 1:52 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, February 21/22

countryman-1.jpg?resize=1140,801

3:45 a.m.  Countryman (1982).  A Jamaican film that might be worth a look.

So did this guy just look in the mirror and discover that he wasn't expecting that kind of haircut?

Wednesday, February 24

MV5BMDM1ZTU4NTEtNjgwMi00YTNkLWE3ZDAtNzMy

10 p.m.  A Soldier’s Story (1984).  Really fine performance in this Norman Jewison film, especially by Adolph Caesar.

• Thanks 1
On 2/22/2021 at 4:21 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 23

Dirk Bogarde day.

cd12bc6a-6820-11e7-9a66-93fb352ba1fe?fit

11:45 a.m.  Victim (1961).   Bogarde and Sylvia Syms.

Tuesday, February 23

Dirk Bogarde day.

YES!!!! Including a rare showing of Death in Venice. I hope I remembered to set the DVR.

Tuesday, February 23

Dirk Bogarde day.

Ach!  Well, looks like I'm hitting my library today.  :blink:  Never been a fan, really.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Saturday, February 27

6619eb4cdb6385115370d4e88aa60dde.jpg

2 a.m.  The Wind and the Lion (1975).  With my favourite Arab Sheik, Seen Canary.  That was how his name was pronounced on the recording by some jokester at the box office at my local Bijou when the film was playing.  He mangled Can-dice Burrjen's name as well.

• Haha 1

Bogey, I remember calling the box office for the times of Luchino Visconti's film The Stranger and hearing on the recording that it was based on the novel by "Albert Kay-muss."

• Haha 1

Tuesday, March 2

Doris Day SOTM

MV5BOWM5NzZiMjQtMmJjOS00MDc0LWJhNTEtZTcy

7 a.m.  Storm Warning (1951).  Day, Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan and the Klan.

• Thanks 1