Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Friday, March 19/20

MV5BNTg1N2I4ZDEtMjM0NC00MWRhLTk5MWQtNDhj

8:30 a.m.  Blondes at Work (1938).  Torchy Blaine.

guru1.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Guru the Mad Monk (1970).  This sounds interesting …

A deranged 15th Century prison colony chaplain exploits his power to get money for his church including murder and grave robbing committed by his vampire mistress and one-eyed hunchback assistant.  Moe and Larry above?  Or Woody Tobias, Jr.?

077.jpg?fit=480,360&ssl=1

5 a.m.  Shake Hands With Danger (1970).  Fun with construction site accidents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, March 24/25

Greenstreet and Lorre

0da7c87fdcb44f440a0a394b8681e591.jpg

1:15 a.m.  Passage to Marseille (1944).  With Humphrey Bogart and Claude Rains.

• Thanks 1

Friday, March 26/27

8ae520f49230958f7849b5550f0eedd1.jpg

2 a.m.  Slumber Party Massacre (1982).  They were having fun until he showed up with a power drill.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, March 26/27

8ae520f49230958f7849b5550f0eedd1.jpg

2 a.m.  Slumber Party Massacre (1982).  They were having fun until he showed up with a power drill.

Did slumber parties suddenly get dangerous in the 80s? I remember having them and attending them in the 70s when I was a teen/preteen, and I don't once remember anybody showing up with a drill, a hockey mask, a butcher knife, or calling me from inside my own house. 

3 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Did slumber parties suddenly get dangerous in the 80s? I remember having them and attending them in the 70s when I was a teen/preteen, and I don't once remember anybody showing up with a drill, a hockey mask, a butcher knife, or calling me from inside my own house. 

I stopped going to slumber parties after barely escaping the fifth mass murder.

• Haha 1

Saturday, March 27/28

Noir Alley with Eddie Muller

moko9_1_orig.jpg

12:15 a.m.  Pepe Le Moko (1937).  Later remade as Algiers (1938) with Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr.  The was virtually shot-for-shot and they used the exact same location establishing shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sunday, March 28/29

jaghouh8xhbiojub.jpg?skj2io4l

3:45 a.m.  Bianco, Rosso e .. (1972).  Not to be confused with Bianco, Rosso e Verdone (1981) by Carlo Verdone.  It was also titled White Sister and The Sin and stars Sophia Loren and was directed by Alberto Lattuada.

Wednesday, March 31

Last day of the month already!

Mini-Skirt+Mob.jpg

9:30 a.m.  Claudelle Inglish (1961).  I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard of this one.  With Diane Mcbain and Arthur Kennedy.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, March 28/29

jaghouh8xhbiojub.jpg?skj2io4l

3:45 a.m.  Bianco, Rosso e .. (1972).  Not to be confused with Bianco, Rosso e Verdone (1981) by Carlo Verdone.  It was also titled White Sister and The Sin and stars Sophia Loren and was directed by Alberto Lattuada.

I didn't know nuns were allowed to wear eye make up back then.

• Haha 1

Thursday, April 1

a6ed731e5ff9a37e9670e80ff2853dc0.jpg

noon.  Agnes of God (1985).  Norman Jewison returns to Canada to make this feature starring Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft and Meg Tilley.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, April 1

a6ed731e5ff9a37e9670e80ff2853dc0.jpg

noon.  Agnes of God (1985).  Norman Jewison returns to Canada to make this feature starring Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft and Meg Tilley.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

This film has annoyed me since its release 35 years ago. It goes round in circles and in the end, the explanation for what happened is exactly what you'd think it would be. Good acting, but what exactly was the point???

• Like 2
7 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

This film has annoyed me since its release 35 years ago. It goes round in circles and in the end, the explanation for what happened is exactly what you'd think it would be. Good acting, but what exactly was the point???

And her stigmata?

But (IMO) it is not just about Agnes' delusions but also about the Jane Fonda character's journey toward faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, April 2

being-there-1200-1200-675-675-crop-00000

5:45 p.m.  Being There (1979).  I’ve never cared for this film but have seen it a number of times trying to determine what I may be missing.  I guess I just find Sellers quite annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

And her stigmata?

But (IMO) it is not just about Agnes' delusions but also about the Jane Fonda character's journey toward faith.

I agree, that's a little nutty. But then so is the anti-vaxxer (SP?) colleague that accused me of giving her chickenpox by getting a shingles shot. She had already had the chickenpox. She actually broke out in "hives". I wonder if she would have broken out in hives if I didn't tell her about the shingles shot? So if Agnes didn't know anything about the stigmata, would she have had it happen to her? 

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, April 2

being-there-1200-1200-675-675-crop-00000

5:45 p.m.  Being There (1979).  I’ve never cared for this film but have seen it a number of times trying to determine what I may be missing.  I guess I just find Sellers quite annoying.

I have the same dilemna since i have seen it first run...

18 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I agree, that's a little nutty. But then so is the anti-vaxxer (SP?) colleague that accused me of giving her chickenpox by getting a shingles shot. She had already had the chickenpox. She actually broke out in "hives". I wonder if she would have broken out in hives if I didn't tell her about the shingles shot? So if Agnes didn't know anything about the stigmata, would she have had it happen to her? 

Well, it wasn't a film promoting miracles like the Song of Bernadette.  That's for sure.  It thought in the end the stigmata was hysterical psychosomatic.

But Jane Fonda does go from being a complete disbeliever and a prosecutor to a much softer, almost spiritual person even when the facts do not support that journey.

• Thanks 1