Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Well, it wasn't a film promoting miracles like the Song of Bernadette.  That's for sure.  It thought in the end the stigmata was hysterical psychosomatic.

But Jane Fonda does go from being a complete disbeliever and a prosecutor to a much softer, almost spiritual person even when the facts do not support that journey.

I decided to sit down and watch this last night, and I had forgotten the great photography, especially of inside the convent of all of the Catholic imagery. And the photography of the Canadian countryside makes your country look, well, COLD! BRRRR! 

On 4/1/2021 at 5:54 AM, Bogie56 said:

5:45 p.m.  Being There (1979).  I’ve never cared for this film but have seen it a number of times trying to determine what I may be missing.  I guess I just find Sellers quite annoying.

You're not the only one.

• Like 2

Tuesday, April 6/7

204db3c0f7d5862f374a10f6c2be5aae.jpg

12:15 a.m.  From Here to Eternity (1953).  I love the scene on Waikiki Beach with Diamond Head in the background and practically no buildings on it.

• Like 1

Wednesday, April 7

ap8304110128.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=

7 a.m.  Gandhi (1982).  Richard Attenborough’s biopic.

There is also a pretty good Indian restaurant named Gandhi's in Kennington, London.  It just needed an "all you can eat lunch buffet" sign.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday, April 10

0200-1113-img008-843x1024.jpg

8 p.m.  Hud (1962).  The new film To Olivia (2021) covers Patricia Neal making this film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, April 11/12

Five-stills-from-five-different-shots-in

12:30 a.m.  Inherit the Wind (1960).  Hard to imagine that there was a time not long ago when people did not believe in evolution.  Actually they might as well remake it as a 2021 film.

• Like 3

Wednesday, April 14

MV5BMTU0NjExMTA0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA5

10 p.m.  The Ladykillers (1955).  Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom .. but Katie Johnson steals the film.

• Like 3

Friday, April 16

47fd2-ambersonsfannyfuneral.jpg?w=783

4:15 p.m.  The Magnificent Ambersons (1942).  Great Orson Welles film.  I wish they might one day find his cut in some laboratory.

• Like 3

Sunday, April 18/19

montalban-and-bennett.jpg?w=640

2:15 p.m.  Mystery Street (1950).  John Sturges crime noir.

mismaloya-ava-1.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Night of the Iguana (1964).  I saw this on stage just pre-pandemic in London with Clive Owen.  He was good but the film works much better.  It is hard to contour the exotic location on a stage.

the-night-of-the-iguana-noel-coward-thea

• Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to "The Picture of Dorian Gray" at six. I remember when Sally Field was the guest, she said she thought Hurd Hatfield's rather wooden performance was awful, but I kind of like it that way,  and I absolutely love Angela Lansbury in this.  Dorian's treatment of her is one of the most emotionally brutal things I've ever seen.

"Pillow Talk" will be a nice refreshment afterwards.  Tony Randall and Doris in the diner?  Hilarious.