Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

2 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I'm looking forward to "The Picture of Dorian Gray" at six. I remember when Sally Field was the guest, she said she thought Hurd Hatfield's rather wooden performance was awful, but I kind of like it that way,  and I absolutely love Angela Lansbury in this.  Dorian's treatment of her is one of the most emotionally brutal things I've ever seen.

"Pillow Talk" will be a nice refreshment afterwards.  Tony Randall and Doris in the diner?  Hilarious.

I saw that Sally Field interview and I agree with you:  Sally was mistaken.        Note that I just finished reading the book (part of my; read all the books I have collected but never read Covid-19 pastime!),   and to me the Hatfield's underplaying is similar to how Wilde describes the character.     The character is asexual\bisexual and such a film performance commutates that within the limits of the code.     E.g. in the book the painter clearly is in love with Dorian.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Friday, April 23

Not long ago I suggested this double bill.  I know that this is a no-brainer as it is alphabetical, but red shoes are mentioned in Red River.

EB19980301REVIEWS08401010355AR.jpg

8 p.m.  Red River (1948). "and buy her a pair of red shoes."

the-red-shoes-1948-film-6704fbb8-a8d9-49

10:30 p.m.  The Red Shoes (1948)

• Like 5

Monday, April 26

MV5BNzRiYmQxOTEtOTczNy00NDZjLTg5YTQtMmY1

4 p.m.  Stand by for Action (1942).  WWII drama with Robert Taylor, Charles Laughton and Brian Donlevy.

A MESSAGE TO THE TCM PROGRAMMERS:

Just in case you ever check out this thread and while you are working on the schedule for July how about doing your loyal Canadian viewers a turn by celebrating Canada Day on July 1st?

Thursday, July 1

What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Jack Warner, Louis B. Mayer (landed), Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Green, John Ireland, William Shatner,  James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Laura Linney, Eugene Levy, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Joanna Shimkus, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Maude Eburne, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Craig Russell, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan and Raymond Burr.

• Like 6

Wednesday, April 28/29

thirdman021.jpg?w=584 thirdman_cat.jpg

3rdman01.jpg?w=638&h=474

1:15 a.m.  The Third Man (1949).  Exceptional Carol Reed film.  The cat following Harry Lime is not by chance.

• Like 2

And still relevant today considering how the government lied about a policeman's autopsy for three months to keep a political narrative going.

• Like 1

Sunday, May 2/3

Satyajit Ray’s 100th birthday tribute

6bdf914ebdd24c0bb2672fe8f16c8270055328a9

4:45 a.m.  Charulata aka The Lonely Wife (1964).  Recommended.

• Like 2

Monday, May 3

Satyajit Ray’s 100th birthday tribute continues

Teen+Kanya+2.jpg

11:45 a.m.  Three Daughters (1961).  This was originally released as Two Daughters in North America as one of its episodes was cut.

27680id_1410_011_primary_w1600.jpg

4 p.m.  An Enemy of the People (1989).  The Ibsen play re-located to India where a doctor tries to warn a village of a pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just want to say thanks to TCM for taking the time for this special tribute to Satyajit Ray. My grandfather was a college classmate of Satyajit Ray’s and anyone who met Mr. Ray said he was a one-of-a-kind human and creative genius. I’m a daughter of Bengali immigrants, born and raised in the US. My parents wanted their kids to know about both the artistry of Bengali culture and the complex beauty of the human spirit. As a result, this education included a heavy dose of Satyajit Ray movies! Satyajit Ray may never have been a child living in a rural village with little means, a wife struggling with either boredom or work/life balance, or a clever detective aiming to outwit cold blooded criminals, but he had the gift of being able to manifest their minds and hearts on the screen. I’m so excited to see his work, which has been an influence to so many other important filmmakers, being represented on the channel in this wonderful way. Thank you! 

• Like 7

Wednesday, May 5/6

madeleine-1950-002-ann-todd-bed-cane_0.j

2:15 a.m.  Madeleine (1950).  David Lean court room drama with Ann Todd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those twitter messages that TCM posted about the The Big City 1963 are a bit misleading, as the female star of the film is Madhabi Mukherjee, who is featured in the clip, and not Jaya Bachchan.

Madhabi Mukherjee is also shown in the image from Charulata that Bogie56 posted above.

(Jaya Bachchan does appear in The Big City, but does not have the lead role as is somewhat implied on twitter.)

Not sure if anyone really cares about such things but I thought I would mention it.

• Thanks 1

Shag, The Movie; 1:45 AM Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning.  Not a bad rendition of the Myrtle Beach S.C. scene during early 60's.  Before tourism really took over in the area.  Of course, the shag is a dance and is featured in the movie.  It is the state dance of S.C.   Primarily about four young girls on an adventure.

Shag Poster

5 hours ago, ElCid said:

Shag, The Movie; 1:45 AM Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning.  Not a bad rendition of the Myrtle Beach S.C. scene during early 60's.  Before tourism really took over in the area.  Of course, the shag is a dance and is featured in the movie.  It is the state dance of S.C.   Primarily about four young girls on an adventure.

Shag Poster

This was a great movie! I just discovered this film, courtesy of TCM, a few months ago when it premiered as part of their Women in Film spotlight.

I recommend it as a double feature with Where the Boys Are (1960).

• Like 1

Thursday, May 6

west-side-story-e1537822876462.jpg

8 p.m.  West Side Story (1961).  This year’s TCM film festival goes virtual and kicks off with the original WSS.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Friday, May 7

The TCM Film Festival continues.

AR-104140328.jpg

10 a.m.  The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951).  Columbia’s newly restored film with Lloyd Bridges, Lillian (Dororthy) Gish, Anne Francis, Ernest Borgnine and Murray Hamilton.  The reviews for this on the imdb are stunning.

Edited by Bogie56
cast correction - thank you!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2