• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 7

The TCM Film Festival continues.

AR-104140328.jpg

10 a.m.  The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951).  Columbia’s newly restored film with Lloyd Bridges, Lillian Gish, Anne Francis, Ernest Borgnine and Murray Hamilton.  The reviews for this on the imdb are stunning.

P.S.  it's DOROTHY Gish

:)

• Thanks 1

This film sounds interesting. I've never seen Dorothy Gish in a sound film. Wonder how big her part is?

Although it was Dorothy, and not Lillian Gish, who appeared in this film, there is an odd connection. When the film was shown at the Colonial Theater in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Lillian Gish appeared in a stage show to promote the film.  Other actors in the show included Carleton Carpenter (who is in the film) and Jeffrey Lynn.

For those interested in local color, you will see the following places in the opening credits:  the bandstand is from Exeter, the church (St. John’s) is from Portsmouth,  a combination of the Exeter Manufacturing Company and Sawyer Mills at Dover, as well as the Beckwith Shoe Factory of Dover.

Anyone looking for a job?

sZPwZit.png

• Like 4

Saturday, May 8

maxresdefault.jpg

8 a.m.  I Love Trouble (1947).  A TCM noir premiere with Franchot Tone

l5vrzj8c92u51.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Bullitt (1968).  Plus a conversation with Jaqueline Bissett.

q1n3Rm2nM340ddsNuORWs3ECXQR-1200-1200-67

8 p.m.  They Won’t Believe Me (1947).  Restoration with an additional 15 minutes.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 8

q1n3Rm2nM340ddsNuORWs3ECXQR-1200-1200-67

8 p.m.  They Won’t Believe Me (1947).  Restoration with an additional 15 minutes.

I'm guessing with the extra 15 minutes Robert Young STILL plays a slimy little weasel in this one. And he's right. NO I would NOT believe you.  Even as to what time it is.

• Haha 1

I am about to watch The Whistle at Eaton Falls on Watch TCM, and in examining the cast, I was stunned at how great Murray Hamilton looks:

6J5J9W6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I am about to watch The Whistle at Eaton Falls on Watch TCM, and in examining the cast, I was stunned at how great Murray Hamilton looks:

6J5J9W6.png

Funny but if one Googles Murray Hamilton - images,    there is that same photo,  with "Murray Hamilton - Turner Classic Movies" underneath.

Here is the actual Hamilton from Jaws:

Murray Hamilton's Biography - Wall Of Celebrities

Sunday, May 9

MV5BMTZmNjY3MWUtMDAyYy00YmExLWIxOTktMDNh

8:45 a.m.  Her Man (1930).  World television premiere of the restoration.  With Helen Twelvetrees.

1977-Goodbye-Girl-The-03.jpg?resize=1134

9:30 p.m.  The Goodbye Girl (1977).  Plus a conversation with Richard Dreyfuss.

• Like 1

I've always blamed, "The Goodbye Girl," for starting a genre of movie in which the female star acts like a self-centered, ill mannered, mean, nasty, crank throughout  the entire film, while the male star scurries around like a nervous Pomeranian, endlessly trying to please her.  By the  end I always hate her and have lost all respect for him and think they deserve a long hellish marriage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Monday, May 10

MV5BNjE3NGE2YjctNTMzYS00M2ZkLTkwNzctMDAz

10 p.m.  Marie Antoinette (1938).  With Norma Shearer, Tyrone Power and a very royal, Robert Morley.

• Like 2
On 5/6/2021 at 6:30 PM, scsu1975 said:

sZPwZit.png

Dang! Except for the young, handsome and 6 feet 2 part I could have qualified as a Lloyd Bridges stand-in.

Okay, maybe I'd have to lose 40 lbs., too, but then I would have qualified.

• Haha 1
On 5/7/2021 at 3:47 PM, scsu1975 said:

6J5J9W6.png

He looks like a cross between Cary Grant and Rock Hudson.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, scsu1975 said:

6J5J9W6.png

Yep, Murray Hamilton is in the picture but that is Rock Hudson.

http://www.movingimage.us/images/calendar/media/seconds_option2_550x238-detail-main.jpg

I can't get the image to expand, but Hamilton is to Rock's right looking over his shoulder. 

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 11

bZ-txp51LoNimO2cI66SGwHCBA2Ffamu6h3CIVcb

4:30 p.m.  The Golden Arrow (1964).  Arabian adventure with Tab Hunter no less.

Looks like a Tab salute on Tues. Is it his birthday? Too bad they didnt include That Kind of Woman with Sophia Loren! She co-starred with both Tab and his boyfriend (Tony Perkins) in separate films (Desire Under the Elms) Sophia's magic didnt work on them! I will record Tab Hunter Confidential. I assume it's an interview with him about his memoirs?

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Looks like a Tab salute on Tues. Is it his birthday? Too bad they didnt include mThat Kind of Woman with Sophia Loren! She co-starred with both Tab and his boyfriend (Tony Perkins) in separate films (Desire Under the Elms) Sophia's magic didnt work on them! I will record Tab Hunter Confidential. I assume it's an interview with him about his memoirs?

Nothing there I wish to see, but I would rather watch Tab Hunter than Fred Astaire.

• Haha 1
On 5/9/2021 at 10:26 AM, Stallion said:

He looks like a cross between Cary Grant and Rock Hudson.

How was Eaton Falls? Did anyone watch it??

On 5/8/2021 at 5:26 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, May 9

MV5BMTZmNjY3MWUtMDAyYy00YmExLWIxOTktMDNh

8:45 a.m.  Her Man (1930).  World television premiere of the restoration.  With Helen Twelvetrees.

1977-Goodbye-Girl-The-03.jpg?resize=1134

9:30 p.m.  The Goodbye Girl (1977).  Plus a conversation with Richard Dreyfuss.

Helen Twelvetrees. Billed as Rin Tin Tin's favorite actress at the time! LOL It actually was her REAL NAME (her husband at the time anyway) Amazed the studios didnt change it. She had a brief career (mostly early 30s) and met a sad end. Would like to see more of her films.

21 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Nothing there I wish to see, but I would rather watch Tab Hunter than Fred Astaire.

Them is fightin' words, ElCid! Just joking.  😉

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Decent story and acting, nice locations. Nothing I would rush to see again. Dorothy Gish was second-billed, but only had a few scenes. I feel she was wasted. 

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Looks like a Tab salute on Tues. Is it his birthday? Too bad they didnt include That Kind of Woman with Sophia Loren! She co-starred with both Tab and his boyfriend (Tony Perkins) in separate films (Desire Under the Elms) Sophia's magic didnt work on them! I will record Tab Hunter Confidential. I assume it's an interview with him about his memoirs?

It's a documentary about his career, along the same lines as his memoir. Quite enjoyable, I thought. Tab talks about some of his boyfriends, including Ronnie Robertson and Tony Perkins. My husband and I saw a performance where Tab was present. There were so many gay men over 60 in line that we thought we were in Palm Springs.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

We both liked The Whistle at Eaton Falls. I'd give it a 7/10. It's so unusual for Hollywood in the early 50s to do a serious movie about labor issues. Not the movie one would expect from Robert Siodmak. Location shooting in New Hampshire. It's nice to see Lloyd Bridges in a lead role, playing a union rep who suddenly becomes the factory boss. Anne Francis looks really young as the girlfriend of Carleton Carpenter. Ernest Borgnine has a bigger role than his billing, and this is the only movie where you get to see him square dance! Dorothy Gish does a fine job as the wife of the factory owner, and it's too bad she didn't have more screen roles at this time.

7 minutes ago, kingrat said:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Decent story and acting, nice locations. Nothing I would rush to see again. Dorothy Gish was second-billed, but only had a few scenes. I feel she was wasted. 

Too bad. I had a feeling about that (Gish).