Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

We both liked The Whistle at Eaton Falls. I'd give it a 7/10. It's so unusual for Hollywood in the early 50s to do a serious movie about labor issues. Not the movie one would expect from Robert Siodmak. Location shooting in New Hampshire. It's nice to see Lloyd Bridges in a lead role, playing a union rep who suddenly becomes the factory boss. Anne Francis looks really young as the girlfriend of Carleton Carpenter. Ernest Borgnine has a bigger role than his billing, and this is the only movie where you get to see him square dance! Dorothy Gish does a fine job as the wife of the factory owner, and it's too bad she didn't have more screen roles at this time.

Can't wait to see Ernie square dance! :D

Did anyone else here look in on A  DAMSEL IN DISTRESS?  ('37)  yesterday?

Weren't my girl GRACIE ALLEN and husband GEORGE BURNS quite the hoofers?   I always thought they could dance a little, but what they did in this flick surprised even an old B&A fan like me!    Believe it or not this was the first time I saw this movie, and I'm surely going to hit Amazon to look for a copy!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yes, I hadn't seen the film in many years and was pleasantly surprised by that, especially in the "Put Me to the Test" number.  The choreography was probably more difficult than they were used to (and easier than what Astaire was used to!) but the net result is delightful, especially if you let go of any expectations of a typical Astaire routine and just enjoy it on its own terms.

Dance critic Arlene Croce (who, like me, has mixed feelings about the film otherwise) agreed:

"Burns and Allen are like ministering angels in this film; they're so needed and they're so good. Both danced well, and Gracie could even dance in character. Like Ginger Rogers she tap-danced without losing her femininity."

I also enjoyed Montagu Love's performance as Lord Marshmorton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, May 13dodsworth1936.73332.jpg

7:30 a.m.  Dodsworth (1936).  Did someone mention recently that there was talk of remaking this?

• Sad 1

Let's hope not -- it was reportedly Robert Osborne's favorite film. 

Maybe they're interested in returning to Sinclair Lewis's original novel?  (The screenplay was based on Sidney Howard's stage adaptation.  Not sure what the significant differences or omissions are, compared to the novel.)

Someone once turned it into a musical, believe it or not.  :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Maybe they're interested in returning to Sinclair Lewis's original novel?  (The screenplay was based on Sidney Howard's stage adaptation.  Not sure what the significant differences or omissions are, compared to the novel.)

How would a remake impact the 1936 film?     In fact it would just bring more attention to it.

Osborne wasn't against remakes.   He didn't believe the myth that remakes somehow "harm" the prior versions made.

• Like 1

I'm not against them either, and sometimes they can even improve on a previous version (e.g., The Maltese Falcon).  I just meant that if it was Obsorne's favorite film, he would likely have found  any other version wanting.  Didn't mean to suggest that everyone else should feel the same way.

Also, as implied in my second paragraph, there may be certain aspects of the novel that the 1936 film was unable to include (either for length or censorship reasons), so the impulse to have another go at it could be at least partly motivated by that.

30 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Yes, the musical is fairly obscure, having only one full production, AFAIK, at Fort Worth's Casa Mañana, starring Hal Linden and Dee ****.  It was workshopped in NYC later.   Stephen Cole wrote the book and lyrics, and is responsible for another classic film adaptation into a musical: The Night of the Hunter.

Alfred Uhry (Driving Miss Daisy, etc) penned an updated screenplay of Dodsworth for WB back in the 1990s, and it was to have starred Harrison Ford.   Warners picked it up after Gregory Peck gave up on the project and sold the rights.   It appears that the effort is dormant.

https://variety.com/1995/voices/columns/linden-returns-to-tuners-with-dodsworth-1117862796/

Playbill also had an article back in 2010 that Uhry was updating the play, with a reading by Lincoln Center Theater.

• Thanks 3
On 5/12/2021 at 2:49 AM, Bogie56 said:

7:30 a.m.  Dodsworth (1936).  Did someone mention recently that there was talk of remaking this?

One of my favorite films. Let them remake it. The original will be remain unscathed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, May 15

touch-of-evil-1958-019-orson-welles-set-

midnight.  Touch of Evil (1958).  Expected on blu ray soon.  It will be interesting to hear what Eddie Muller has to say about it.  He could certainly start with Quinlan's tie.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 15

midnight.  Touch of Evil (1958).  Expected on blu ray soon.  It will be interesting to hear what Eddie Muller has to say about it.  He could certainly start with Quinlan's tie.

..or his rumpled shirt, or his wrinkled coat, or his desperately unhealthy mien.  ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 14/15

p75_p_v10_aa.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Foxes (1980).  With Jodie Foster.

I saw this many years ago and just seemed to me to another of those silly 70's and 80's movies about teenagers or just past teens.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:49 AM, Bogie56 said:

There's been talk for DECADES. I don't see it happening. I don't think modern audiences would be interested in the story.

• Thanks 1
On 5/14/2021 at 6:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 15

SOOOO Glad Noir Alley is finally back! But not sure I want to see this again.

Monday, May 17/18

13499767_ori.jpg

3:45 a.m.  A Man For All Seasons (1966).  I’m reading a biography of Canadian film pioneer Budge Crawley and it is said Robert Shaw based his performance of Henry VIII on him.  Shaw had just been in Canada to make the wonderful The Luck of Ginger Coffey (1964) for Budge.

• Like 2

Tuesday, May 18

e2cae004-a15b-449c-abf1-f2bc70ce0c2e-206

11:45 p.m.  Precious (2009).  Gabourey Sidibe and especially Mo’Nique are excellent in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, May 19/20

Breaker-Morant-1980-01-08-40.jpg

1:15 a.m.  Breaker Morant (1980).  Very good Bruce Beresford film with Edward Woodward, Bryan Brown and my favourite Jack Thompson.

• Like 3
On 5/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, txfilmfan said:

Yes, the musical is fairly obscure, having only one full production, AFAIK, at Fort Worth's Casa Mañana, starring Hal Linden and Dee ****.

Was that Dee Blac*ie or Dee Ret*rd?  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Was that Dee Blac*ie or Dee Ret*rd?  :lol:

Dee H  O  T  Y.  I'm clueless as to the offense this word offers, so apologies if anyone is offended...

• Haha 2

Urban Dictionary says "Hit of the Year", in reference to marihuana, so maybe Otto Censor took a big toke.

4 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Urban Dictionary says "Hit of the Year", in reference to marihuana, so maybe Otto Censor took a big toke.

Yeah I looked at all the definitions there when it was first censored, but nothing stood out to me.  I had never heard of any of those usages before, but my hipness wore off around the turn of the century...

On 5/17/2021 at 3:10 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 18

e2cae004-a15b-449c-abf1-f2bc70ce0c2e-206

11:45 p.m.  Precious (2009).  Gabourey Sidibe and especially Mo’Nique are excellent in this.

When Precious was first released, it was called Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire, so that some of us had a running joke about movies like:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire.