Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I went with To Catch a Thief because it was the only one of the films I hadn't seen in the theater before and it was on a weekend. 

To Catch a Thief would be a good film to see in a theater on a big screen.    Lot of nice outdoor shots of southern France. 

13 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

To Catch a Thief would be a good film to see in a theater on a big screen.    Lot of nice outdoor shots of southern France. 

Yes! It was gorgeous on screen.  It was really fun seeing it in the old 1915 theater in Austin that I saw it in.

Thursday, June 17

Ralph Bellamy birthday tribute

picture_snatcher.jpg

6 a.m.  Picture Snatcher (1933).  I was reading in James Cagney’s autobiography of how he and Ralph Bellamy became lifelong friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 6/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, Bogie56 said:

The first time I saw this film was at a Revue Cinema.  Let me know what you think about Stanley's part being a supporting one.  I thought it was but of course Brando being a marquee name went into the lead category.

After watching the movie again, I can see arguments going both ways as to whether Brando is the lead or supporting.  In some ways, I think he can be supporting as he seems to just pop here and there.  With this viewpoint, I'd argue that Vivien Leigh and Kim Hunter were the leads, or maybe Leigh is the sole lead.  But on the other hand, I can see Brando as a lead if I view it from the perspective of Brando being the main antagonist to Leigh's character.  I cannot even decide whether Leigh or Brando are the protagonist and antagonist, or whether they're both antagonists, and Hunter and Karl Malden are the protagonists. Overall, it's a very interesting film.  I love Tennessee Williams' stories, they're always somewhat odd, somewhat sleazy, and always feel sweaty (if that makes any sense).  

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 18

MV5BNTkyYjliZGUtZGMzOS00MzA2LWE4MzEtNWU1

8 a.m.  Godzilla Raids Again (1955).  Wake up with Godzilla.

I've been waking up with Godzilla every morning for the last 27 years. And yes my husband knows I wrote this. 

• Haha 3
On 6/16/2021 at 6:07 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, June 17

Ralph Bellamy birthday tribute

picture_snatcher.jpg

6 a.m.  Picture Snatcher (1933).  I was reading in James Cagney’s autobiography of how he and Ralph Bellamy became lifelong friends.

SNOOZE. He was in some good movies but NOT because he was in them!

Friday June 18th.

The House on Haunted Hill is a true classic horror/suspense movie.  

The Black Scorpion is a very good "monster" movie set in Mexico.  Graphics are a little on the cheap side, but still worth watching.

Saturday, June 19

wyd0OdBxYK3m3DFf5xtBowd7Oe7.jpg

2 p.m.  Shake!: Otis at Monterey (1987).  Otis Redding at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival.  20 m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, June 20

paths-of-glory-1957-002-christine-kubric

10:30 p.m.  Paths of Glory (1957).  You can’t go wrong seeing this Kubrick film every few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, June 21

1314827310-Sunrise-at-Campobello-Movie-1

6:45 a.m.  Sunrise at Campobello (1960).  Another chance to see Ralph Bellamy’s turn as FDR.

• Like 4

I enjoyed Kyle MacLahlan and Harriet Sansom Harris as Franklin and Eleanor in the recent series Atlantic Crossing, but Ralph Bellamy has the role of his career in Sunrise at Campobello, and Greer Garson is a fine Eleanor.

Wednesday, June 23

thehiddenhand1942.77936.jpg

4 p.m.  The Hidden Hand (1942).  An old dark house mystery with Craig Stevens that I would like to check out.

• Like 2

Thursday, June 24

maxresdefault.jpg

6 p.m.  The Family Way (1966).  My mother took me to this thinking it was another quaint Haley Mills kid’s picture only to find out is was all about ****.

TCM is showing a movie tonight at 11:30 that would qualify perfectly for inclusion in the movies of summer thread. It's a rare (although TCM did show it a few years back) opportunity to see the almost completely forgotten Look in Any Window (1961). Set in a California suburban neighborhood during a summer heat wave, circa 1960, it stars superstar at the time teen idol Paul Anka in a dramatic role as an unsure of himself teen who takes to peeping-tomming his neighbors.

I first saw this at the age of about 14 or 15, in summer, on the late show, and then never again. It seemed to disappear from the face of the earth - a long lost artifact of the early 60's.

• Thanks 4
On 6/22/2021 at 6:03 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, June 23

thehiddenhand1942.77936.jpg

4 p.m.  The Hidden Hand (1942).  An old dark house mystery with Craig Stevens that I would like to check out.

It wasnt bad! (though the rascist stuff with Sleep and Eat ;( )

Saturday, June 26

1*vKOYxejFmZc6Ds7pF2PlxA.png

3:15 p.m.  North by Northwest (1959).  I’ve seen this on the big screen a few times over the years.  Still one of Hitch’s best and my favourite film of 1959.

Sunday, June 27

marnie1964.19882.jpg

10 p.m.  Marnie (1964).  A chance to see Sean Connery in a different role during his Bond period.

• Like 1