Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Tuesday, June 29

Andy-Hardy-Comes-Home-images-4461847e-f4

5:30 p.m.  Andy Hardy Comes Home (1958).  Here is one I’ve managed to miss.  Probably for good reason.

• Haha 2

Thursday, July 1

220px-Jack_Warner_portrait_copy.jpg220px-Norma_Shearer_1926.jpg220px-JohnIreland.jpg220px-CATHERINE_OHARA.jpg220px-Christopher_Plummer_2014.jpg220px-YvonneDC.jpg220px-ChiefDan_George.jpg220px-Nell_Shipman_Photoplay_Nov_1918.pn

Happy Canada Day.   What about featuring some of these people on July 1: Jack Warner, Mack Sennett, Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Nell Shipman, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Greene, John Ireland, William Shatner,  James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Donald Brittain, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Laura Linney, Eugene Levy, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Norman McLaren, Budge Crawley, Joanna Shimkus, Alexandra Stewart, Carole Laure, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Maude Eburne, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Andrea Martin, Craig Russell, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan, Raymond Burr. and Louis B. Mayer (landed)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, July 3/4

81-ZN-uEzxL._RI_.jpg

12:30 a.m.  Guilty Bystander (1950).  Crime drama with Zachary Scott and Faye Emerson.

• Like 2

Sunday, July 4

Born on the 4th of July

16LYvV.gif

8 p.m.  Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).  I recall seeing some documentary where they spoke of Jimmy Cagney’s stiff legged dancing style.  Then I read Cagney’s autobiography and he spoke of how difficult it was to dance that way in the style of George M. Cohen.

• Like 1

- pretty perfect FOURTH OF JULY schedule.....  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, July 5

ep255-bonfirevanities.jpg?fit=1000,641&s

8 p.m.  The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990).  If memory serves this was a bit of a misfire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990).  If memory serves this was a bit of a misfire.

I just read the Wikipedia on it and it sounds like such a mess, I'm going to watch it now.  It won several awards; worst actress, worst supporting actress, worst movie of the year, etc. Reportedly Melanie refused to read the book, saying the shoot was hard enough as it was, plus she had a breast implant during a break causing a lot of wardrobe and continuity  problems.  Bruce Willis wasn't a star yet, but he made all sorts of demands, once making everyone involved speed up a scene because it was hot out.  Seems like all the biggest vanities were behind the scenes.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, July 6

f4d4d428-99a0-4824-be4b-0a4f98f6f5ec-ef9

2:30 p.m.  The Earring of Madame De… (1953).  Really good Max Ophuls film.  I just watched this again the other night.  The image above is not from the film but from an extra on the Criterion disc.  It is from an interview with original novelist, Louise de Vilmorin who constantly pounds a switch in the palm of her hand while talking about how Max Ophuls ruined her story!  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 7/4/2021 at 8:11 AM, AndreaDoria said:

I just read the Wikipedia on it and it sounds like such a mess, I'm going to watch it now.  It won several awards; worst actress, worst supporting actress, worst movie of the year, etc. Reportedly Melanie refused to read the book, saying the shoot was hard enough as it was, plus she had a breast implant during a break causing a lot of wardrobe and continuity  problems.  Bruce Willis wasn't a star yet, but he made all sorts of demands, once making everyone involved speed up a scene because it was hot out.  Seems like all the biggest vanities were behind the scenes.

It was awful. I never wish to see Bonfire of the Vanities again it was so bad. When they were advertising it on TV when it was released I couldn't figure out how Tom Hanks figured into the cast. I read the book, and no way would he be credible as the Wall Street tycoon. The guy in the book was so self involved and entitled. I actually thought Bruce Willis would be the tycoon given his normal screen/TV persona. And actually Willis was a star by then. Everybody knew who he was since Moonlighting started in 1985. But then his ego was part of the reason the show imploded so spectacularly. Plus he had done Die Hard in 1988. It seemed like justice for De Palma, because IMHO The Untouchables was just as goofy as Bonfire of the Vanities, save a couple of really good performances, and I don't remember anybody pointing that out at the time it was in the theatres. 

And Kim Catrell is supposed to be the middle aged matronly looking  wife?  This was before Sex and The City, and she was only 34 and looked quite good.  It just didn't fit. I can't remember much more because, like I said, it was AWFUL, and I might tune in for the commentary, but I NEVER want to sit through that film again. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

II can't remember much more because, like I said, it was AWFUL, and I might tune in for the commentary, but I NEVER want to sit through that film again. 

Same thing, I  saw it first run at an industry premiere, lucky  i was -i did not pay for this turkey ,a terrible film and i remember Melanie Griffith on a talkshow-maybe Carson's-to plug it saying how proud she was of it  .... you mentionned Willis , by the way he got $5 million up front for the first Die Hard then,an unheard amount at the time,every A  list actor went to the barricades -they were getting $2-3million at the most then i.e Redford,De Niro,Hoffman Beatty et al.Inflation in the film industry  started there.Do not forget Willis never had a movie hit before signing for Die Hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/4/2021 at 5:58 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, July 5

ep255-bonfirevanities.jpg?fit=1000,641&s

8 p.m.  The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990).  If memory serves this was a bit of a misfire.

I recall how funny and sexy Bruce Willis played it on Moonlighting (he and Cybill really had chemistry). Then I recall how terrific he was in the first Die Hard, playing it macho but a little less so than the other action boys and, again, showing   a flair for humour. Then there was Death Becomes Her (very unexpected casting).Then there was The Sixth Sense, both with solid work by the actor. When I see Willis today, a bald, tired looking middle aged actor just walking through a role to collection a pay cheque in third rate action flicks that quickly disappear I bemoan the loss of a once talented performer who has turned into just another acting sell out.

I haven't seen Bonfire.

Re:  Bruce Willis.  He is also good in Pulp Fiction and in a bit part:  Nobody's Fool.  I recently saw Bruce subject himself to some stupid product his current wife was trying to sell.  It was on The Today Show.  He was a good stage actor (from what I understand).    Avoid Bon Fire.  Unfortunately, I think Cybil was jealous that Bruce upstaged her.  Also, once characters get together on certain TV shows, they tend to jump the shark.  I loved Cheers for the fact that Sam would have regretted winding up with Diane Chambers.  His home was Cheers (and his boat).  Maybe Bruce needs to do what some actresses/actors have done.  Start producing films (if he has the money) so he can choose his own vehicles.  

5 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Re:  Bruce Willis.  He is also good in Pulp Fiction and in a bit part:  Nobody's Fool.  I recently saw Bruce subject himself to some stupid product his current wife was trying to sell.  It was on The Today Show.  He was a good stage actor (from what I understand).    Avoid Bon Fire.  Unfortunately, I think Cybil was jealous that Bruce upstaged her.  Also, once characters get together on certain TV shows, they tend to jump the shark.  I loved Cheers for the fact that Sam would have regretted winding up with Diane Chambers.  His home was Cheers (and his boat).  Maybe Bruce needs to do what some actresses/actors have done.  Start producing films (if he has the money) so he can choose his own vehicles.  

The last episode of Moonlighting had some of the most original writing I ever saw on television, with Willis and Shepherd, still playing the series' characters of David and Mady, having learned that the show was just cancelled by the network, walking around the studio set for Moonlighting trying to see if they could save it. At one point one the show's supporting characters even blasted the two for killing the show's ratings with their tiresome on-and-off romance, one of the common criticisms of the series at the time.

Moonlighting S5-Lunar Eclipse-The End---WE NEED A REUNION,PLEASE!!! -  YouTube

• Thanks 1

Friday, July 9

image-w1280.jpg

midnight.  Chinatown (1974).  My Best Picture pick for 1974 in what was an extraordinary year.  A fantastic script by Robert Towne.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Re:  Chinatown... Jack Nicholson tried a sequel (The Two Jakes), it was terrible.  And, of course, like Michael Douglas giving his then wife, Diandra a cameo in The China Syndrome, Nicholson gave his then paramour, Rebecca B., a bit part.  1974 was a good year for pictures and, as far as awards go, I remember performances, the movie, etc., while I tend to forget who won the Oscar for each category.

Series are cancelled because people stop watching them or the writers run out of ideas.  Carl Reiner took The Dick Van Dyke Show off the air while it was still popular, which was a rarity.  Mark Harmon made an interesting comment on Stephen Colbert's  late night talk show.  As the Executive Producer of NCIS, he realizes how many people are dependent upon the series for their livelihood.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 9

image-w1280.jpg

midnight.  Chinatown (1974).  My Best Picture pick for 1974 in what was an extraordinary year.  A fantastic script by Robert Towne.

Ever since first seeing this film at the show I've made it a point to never argue with a little man carrying a switchblade. Okay, I guess that was a general policy I operated on before seeing the film, as well, but after seeing it, even more so. Great film with great performances, including a really creepy effort by John Huston ("You see, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place they're capable of anything.").