Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Sunday, July 11

Running_on_Empty-858496785-large.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Running On Empty (1988).  I thought this was quite different and interesting the first time I saw it.  With River Phoenix, Judd Hirsch and Christine Lahti.

• Like 3

Monday, July 12

oTbmkjg7Mkr5hJDRuEWmK2sdQP3.jpg

4:45 p.m.  Grand Prix (1966).  Solid John Frankenheimer picture.  Yves Montand is a standout IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running on Empty reminded me of what a good actress Martha Plimpton is, although with a fairly small body of work.

She was devastating in a Law and Order:SVU episode a number of years ago. 

Sort of seems like Amanda Plummer a bit.

Looks like TCM is running "So This is Paris" again tonight on Silent Sunday Nights. Does anybody know if there is a plan for the Warner Archive to put this film out on Blu? 

Wednesday, July 14

tumblr_lhl1nazytj1qanwe4o1_500.jpg

10:45 a.m.  The Lusty Men (1952).  Terrible title but not bad Nicholas Ray picture with Susan Hayward, Robert Mitchum and Arthur Kennedy.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, July 15

MV5BMzllYmEyZDQtNDFhYy00MTlmLWFiYTktZWMy

8 p.m.  Blue Hawaii (1961).  Great title and Elvis too.  This should have been better.  Perhaps if they had spent more than two seconds on it …?

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 15

MV5BMzllYmEyZDQtNDFhYy00MTlmLWFiYTktZWMy

8 p.m.  Blue Hawaii (1961).  Great title and Elvis too.  This should have been better.  Perhaps if they had spent more than two seconds on it …?

Just read last week  that the hotel/resort where this was filmed (Coco Palms Resort) is up for auction.  It's been a troubled property for years, wasting away on the east coast of Kauai.  It was severely damaged by hurricane Iniki back in 1992, and is also caught up in controversy with claims that it sits on sacred ground.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2021 at 5:01 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, July 10

MV5BYWNiNDE4M2YtZDVjMi00N2FkLTk2YWItMTVm

11 p.m.  Devil’s Angels (1967).  Biker picture with John Cassavetes.

OMG! I'd never heard of this film. He must've really needed the money. Didn't Faces come out the next year or so?

Friday, July 16

body-heat.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Body Heat (1981).  I believe it was this film that put Kathleen Turner on the map.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Saturday, July 17/19

MV5BY2Q5NDU3MDktZGQ3Yi00YmY2LTk0MjktYjQx

12:15 a.m.  Los Tallos Amargos (1956).  Argentinian film incorrectly listed as a 2016 release on the imdb.

NB: The imdb have now corrected the release date.  I sent them a notification.

Edited by Bogie56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday, July 16/17  12am midnight To  Live and Die in L.A.   1985 William Friedkin directs,seen it first run and many times over the years ,great cast,good action and a fantastic film score by Wang Chung.The  fake bills in the movie were also very good. Friedkin mentionned  the crew and himself used some of them in L.A then. The fed changed  the bills in 1986 because of the ones  done for the film that's what Friedkin said! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sunday, July 18/19

30623_2_large.jpg

4:30 a.m.  And the Pursuit of Happiness (1986).  Louis Malle documentary about immigrants to America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday, July 19

Olympics films.  They all look worth a look,

The_White_Stadium.jpg

8 a.m.  The White Stadium (1928).  Documentary about the St. Moritz Olympics directed by Arnold Fanck.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, July 22

136.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Thirteen Women (1932).  With Irene Dunne and Myrna Loy.

This film is a hoot! Wish they could find the missing footage......

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

This film is a hoot! Wish they could find the missing footage......

Yea,  the film should have been re-titled as Eleven Women,  since scenes for 2 actresses were entirely cut from the film. 

Myrna plays a not-so-good-girl in this one.    I like nasty Myrna in pre-code films since after Thin Man,  she played good-gals,  the ideal wife, etc... 

Sunday, July 25/26

the_umbrellas_of_cherbourg.jpg

3:45 a.m.  The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964).  Somewhat bizarre musical by Jacques Demy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1