Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

For Sunday night/Monday morning: Heat Lightning (1934) packs a lot of story and good acting into its 63 minutes.  Aline MacMahon runs a filling station in the middle of nowhere and tries to keep her younger sister (Ann Dvorak) from running wild. Aline's former lover, now a criminal (Preston Foster) shows up to complicate matters. Aline transforms from very mannish in her work overalls to quite womanly when he arrives. This may be Aline MacMahon's best role. And wouldn't it be more fun if Glenda Farrell and Ruth Donnelly showed up as a couple of dizzy hot-2-trot divorcees? You bet it would! Even Jane Darwell shows up in a small role. 

• Like 4

Monday, July 26

coolhandluke8.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Cool Hand Luke (1967).  You forget just how good the entire supporting cast is in this one.

• Like 2
WED., 7-28

10:30
pm (ET)
Paper Moon Profile Image

"........Paper Moon is a winner all the way, from its evocative black and white cinematography that perfectly captures the Midwest during the Depression to the vintage soundtrack ............

Bogdanovich said later that working with Tatum O'Neal was "one of the most miserable experiences of my life." Nevertheless, the end result won Tatum the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, making her the youngest actress to ever win that award. The other Academy Award nominations for Paper Moon were for Best Sound, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actress Madeline Kahn who almost steals the movie with her sad-funny portrayal of Trixie Delight, a pathetic carnival stripper."

-Finally, in this,  even I had to like Ryan O'Neal ............. -_-
  • Like 2

Thursday, July 29

William Powell day.

hedy-lamarr-foliate-gown-3.png

noon.  The Heavenly Body (1943).  I guess when she wasn’t inventing guidance for torpedos Hedy Lemarr was doing this.

• Like 1

Friday, July 30

MV5BZDgxMDdlNjMtNTNiYy00ZmQwLTk5OGItMGQw

3:45 p.m.  Confidential Agent (1945).  I thought Charles Boyer was quite good in this as the damp hero.  But Katina Paxinou steals the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fri. 7-30 nite for "Neo-Noir"........

8:00
pm (ET)
Blade Runner: The Final Cut Profile Image

"........Now we come at last to the Final Cut, the most acclaimed and critically satisfying version to date and the one being screened on TCM beginning in 2021. This is the cut that was firmly and completely under Ridley Scott’s control in 2000.

After several years of legal wrangling with Warner Bros., the film was released in 2007. Although he decided not to replace Trumbull’s work with CGI effects (a practice widely slammed when Lucas did it to his original Star Wars trilogy), Scott did allow for digital enhancement that brightened the overall look, revealing details that had originally been hidden or at best murky. Some sequences, such as the unicorn dream, were extended and clarified, the more violent moments from the international version were included, mistakes and discontinuities were corrected. This version also retains a more downbeat and ambiguous ending.

Many critics completely revised their initially tepid reaction to the film in 1982, calling it “stunning,” “an overwhelming experience,” and “one of the most extraordinary worlds ever created on film.”

see: https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2134910/blade-runner-the-final-cut#articles-reviews?articleId=021386

• Like 2

Saturday, July 31

MV5BYmUyMmNhN2ItYmUwNS00MWFkLTkxZGEtMjAy

noon.  Five Came Back (1939).  None of the remakes are as good as this film about the survivors of a plane crash in the jungle.  It has a good ensemble cast and for me, Joseph Calleia was the stand out.

• Like 3
On 7/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, Bogie56 said:

hedy-lamarr-foliate-gown-3.png

noon.  The Heavenly Body (1943).  I guess when she wasn’t inventing guidance for torpedos Hedy Lemarr was doing this.

The photographer of this shot did a fantastic job with this one. Not only is the subject beautiful, but the lighting is superb, too. The type of fabric in her dress is easily recognizable, and her nail polish, which is in the shadows, shines brightly. Thanks for choosing this photo, Bogie56!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 3/4

Kim Novak SOTM

pushover-fred-kim-2.jpg

1:15 a.m.  Pushover (1954).  With Fred MacMurray.  I haven’t seen this one.

This is a pretty good one, Bogie. Makes one have flashbacks to Double Indemnity, if only because of Fred's participation.

• Thanks 1
On 7/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, sagebrush said:

The photographer of this shot did a fantastic job with this one. Not only is the subject beautiful, but the lighting is superb, too. The type of fabric in her dress is easily recognizable, and her nail polish, which is in the shadows, shines brightly. Thanks for choosing this photo, Bogie56!

Indeed Hedy was a favorite of the Hollywood photographers like George Hurrell ,Clarence Bull etc .I  collect vintage original photos of Hedy Lamarr for many years, She was the most beautiful woman on the the first 50 years of the silver screen IMO and please no arguing from a Ava Gardner fan !

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, nakano said:

Indeed Hedy was a favorite of the Hollywood photographers like George Hurrell ,Clarence Bull etc .I  collect vintage original photos of Hedy Lamarr for many years, She was the most beautiful woman on the the first 50 years of the silver screen IMO and please no arguing from a Ava Gardner fan !

Well I happen to think that Ava Gardner was the . . .

Oh, wait, you said no arguing. Sorry.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, nakano said:

Why limit to the first 50 years?

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Why limit to the first 50 years?

I wanted to be 'politically correct'  but nobody was  close since 1950 anyway... thank you Cid

• Like 1

Wednesday, August 4

Louis Armstrong SUTS

satchmothelifeoflouisarmstrong1989.48042

8 p.m.  Satchmo: The Life of Louis Armstrong (1989).  Repeated at 2 a.m.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 8/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 3/4

Kim Novak SOTM

pushover-fred-kim-2.jpg

1:15 a.m.  Pushover (1954).  With Fred MacMurray.  I haven’t seen this one.

Favorite quote from Eddie regarding Pushover:

"If Chip and Ernie could have seen dad's fuse lit by sex bomb Kim Novak, I think those boys would have grown up a whole lot faster."

Or something to that effect. 

• Haha 3