• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

On 8/3/2021 at 5:55 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 4

Louis Armstrong SUTS

satchmothelifeoflouisarmstrong1989.48042

8 p.m.  Satchmo: The Life of Louis Armstrong (1989).  Repeated at 2 a.m.

Watching it now, BIG THANKS TO TCM for selecting LOUIS ARMSTRONG for SUMMER UNDER THE STARS! 

When I was first getting into jazz in the 1990s, everything was on CD and nothing was instantly available on the Internet, So it was many years before I heard DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS? and discovered that it is NOT about a disgruntled beauty queen. 

Still a great song though:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When I was first getting into jazz in the 1990s, everything was on CD and nothing was instantly available on the Internet, So it was many years before I heard DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS? and discovered that it is NOT about a disgruntled beauty queen. 

Cloris Leachman was MISS CHCAGO 1946.

I don't think she was disgruntled though.

BSWWYMC5NFALXCOQVWJUGAN2CM.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday, August 7

Abbott & Costello SUTS

MV5BOWRmNzU3MzktZDNjNy00NzZlLTg4M2YtMzlh

8 p.m.  Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948).  I bought an abridged silent 8mm copy of this when I was a kid.  And for years I had never seen a version on television that included the opening scene in the shipping office with Frank Ferguson.  That was always cut out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, August 11/12

Kathryn Grayson SUTS

sing-s.jpg

2 a.m.  That Midnight Kiss (1949).  With truck driver, Mario Lanza turned opera sensation.  Sounds really cheesy!!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 11/12

Kathryn Grayson SUTS

sing-s.jpg

2 a.m.  That Midnight Kiss (1949).  With truck driver, Mario Lanza turned opera sensation.  Sounds really cheesy!!

sounds like a good day to go shoppin'......  ;)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

sounds like a good day to go shoppin'......  ;)

In case you didn't manage to pick up everything today, there is always tomorrow ...

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

MV5BYjU5NDA5ZjMtNzcwYS00YzMzLTk5M2QtZGE1

6 a.m.  Devil-May-Care (1929).  Navarro’s talkie debut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

In case you didn't manage to pick up everything today, there is always tomorrow ...

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

actually always LIKED Navarro   :)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Friday, August 13

Jane Fonda SUTS

hqdefault.jpg

12:20 a.m.  Barbarella (1968).   I saw this when I was a pre teen and thought I could see everything under those titles.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:19 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

Implying Ramon Novarro is not worth watching? I DISAGREE.

• Like 1

I agree. But if Ramon doesn't do it for  (the general) you, there is the cutie Dorothy Jordan. The Barbarian is on in a couple of hours. No Dorothy there, but Myrna instead. There is a measure of eroticism that is uncommon in this era. Eroticism, not pre-code sexiness that we have grown to love. Or maybe it's a matter of taste. It doesn't approach anywhere near Swept Away (I refer to the Wertmuller version) there is only a speck of that, but it's a good movie. Bogie, surprised that you didn't highlight that one. It's a curio at worst. And I remember The Student Prince of  Heidelberg only a little but I remember liking it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, laffite said:

I agree. But if Ramon doesn't do it for  (the general) you, there is the cutie Dorothy Jordan. The Barbarian is on in a couple of hours. No Dorothy there, but Myrna instead. There is a measure of eroticism that is uncommon in this era. Eroticism, not pre-code sexiness that we have grown to love. Or maybe it's a matter of taste. It doesn't approach anywhere near Swept Away (I refer to the Wertmuller version) there is only a speck of that, but it's a good movie. Bogie, surprised that you didn't highlight that one. It's a curio at worst. And I remember The Student Prince of  Heidelberg only a little but I remember liking it.

I often highlight films that I have not yet seen or have copies of already.  I actually have most of those Novarro films myself.  My joke fell a little flat !!!

But if I could try to wriggle out of this I would just add that these Novarro films are on ALL of the time so it might still be safe to go shopping.

Saturday, August 14 at 4.00 am  Tout Va Bien 1972  (non tout ne va pas bien dans ce film...)

Yves Montand Jane Fonda  if an experimental political social movie by Jean Luc Godard interest you...otherwise a major must miss.Godard got the financing for this 'work' because he got Montand and Fonda interested in it.Fonda's career was going nowhere during this period (for several years till Julia and Fun with Dick & Jane.)I lost a lot a precious time watching Godard's films and i still have some to see i guess i'am a masochist... Godard is  really overrated imo

Sat., 8-14                                                   SUTS:   Gregory Peck........

3:15
pm  (ET)
Moby Dick Profile Image

"............Huston saw his father Walter Huston as the perfect Ahab ..........Gregory Peck became Huston's new choice through a chance meeting at a Hollywood party. Peck was not sure he was right for the role, in fact, he always thought John Huston would have done a better job. However, Peck's box office draw delighted Warner Brothers ......
Huston's quest for the perfect film of Moby Dick chewed up writers, cast and crew, strangely mirroring Ahab's own search. Perhaps it gave Huston a way of looking into the mad captain's soul. The result of all that pain and torment yielded the most accurate and probably the quintessential movie version of Melville's book. ............"

-terrific cast, good production............. :)
=====================================================================

8:00
pm
The Big Country Profile Image

" In Wyler's words, the film was "about a man's refusal to act according to accepted standards of behavior. Customs of the Old West were sort of debunked.".......

-good cast,   great musical score ............... :)
  • Like 3