Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

On 8/3/2021 at 5:55 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 4

Louis Armstrong SUTS

satchmothelifeoflouisarmstrong1989.48042

8 p.m.  Satchmo: The Life of Louis Armstrong (1989).  Repeated at 2 a.m.

Watching it now, BIG THANKS TO TCM for selecting LOUIS ARMSTRONG for SUMMER UNDER THE STARS! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was first getting into jazz in the 1990s, everything was on CD and nothing was instantly available on the Internet, So it was many years before I heard DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS? and discovered that it is NOT about a disgruntled beauty queen. 
 

Still a great song though:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When I was first getting into jazz in the 1990s, everything was on CD and nothing was instantly available on the Internet, So it was many years before I heard DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS? and discovered that it is NOT about a disgruntled beauty queen. 

Cloris Leachman was MISS CHCAGO 1946.

I don't think she was disgruntled though.

BSWWYMC5NFALXCOQVWJUGAN2CM.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, August 7

Abbott & Costello SUTS

MV5BOWRmNzU3MzktZDNjNy00NzZlLTg4M2YtMzlh

8 p.m.  Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948).  I bought an abridged silent 8mm copy of this when I was a kid.  And for years I had never seen a version on television that included the opening scene in the shipping office with Frank Ferguson.  That was always cut out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, August 11/12

Kathryn Grayson SUTS

sing-s.jpg

2 a.m.  That Midnight Kiss (1949).  With truck driver, Mario Lanza turned opera sensation.  Sounds really cheesy!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 11/12

Kathryn Grayson SUTS

sing-s.jpg

2 a.m.  That Midnight Kiss (1949).  With truck driver, Mario Lanza turned opera sensation.  Sounds really cheesy!!

sounds like a good day to go shoppin'......  ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

sounds like a good day to go shoppin'......  ;)

In case you didn't manage to pick up everything today, there is always tomorrow ...

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

MV5BYjU5NDA5ZjMtNzcwYS00YzMzLTk5M2QtZGE1

6 a.m.  Devil-May-Care (1929).  Navarro’s talkie debut.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

In case you didn't manage to pick up everything today, there is always tomorrow ...

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

MV5BYjU5NDA5ZjMtNzcwYS00YzMzLTk5M2QtZGE1

6 a.m.  Devil-May-Care (1929).  Navarro’s talkie debut.

actually always LIKED Navarro   :)

giphy.gif

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, August 13

Jane Fonda SUTS

hqdefault.jpg

12:20 a.m.  Barbarella (1968).   I saw this when I was a pre teen and thought I could see everything under those titles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 5:19 AM, Bogie56 said:

In case you didn't manage to pick up everything today, there is always tomorrow ...

Thursday, August 12

Ramon Novarro SUTS

MV5BYjU5NDA5ZjMtNzcwYS00YzMzLTk5M2QtZGE1

6 a.m.  Devil-May-Care (1929).  Navarro’s talkie debut.

Implying Ramon Novarro is not worth watching? I DISAGREE.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. But if Ramon doesn't do it for  (the general) you, there is the cutie Dorothy Jordan. The Barbarian is on in a couple of hours. No Dorothy there, but Myrna instead. There is a measure of eroticism that is uncommon in this era. Eroticism, not pre-code sexiness that we have grown to love. Or maybe it's a matter of taste. It doesn't approach anywhere near Swept Away (I refer to the Wertmuller version) there is only a speck of that, but it's a good movie. Bogie, surprised that you didn't highlight that one. It's a curio at worst. And I remember The Student Prince of  Heidelberg only a little but I remember liking it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, laffite said:

I agree. But if Ramon doesn't do it for  (the general) you, there is the cutie Dorothy Jordan. The Barbarian is on in a couple of hours. No Dorothy there, but Myrna instead. There is a measure of eroticism that is uncommon in this era. Eroticism, not pre-code sexiness that we have grown to love. Or maybe it's a matter of taste. It doesn't approach anywhere near Swept Away (I refer to the Wertmuller version) there is only a speck of that, but it's a good movie. Bogie, surprised that you didn't highlight that one. It's a curio at worst. And I remember The Student Prince of  Heidelberg only a little but I remember liking it.

I often highlight films that I have not yet seen or have copies of already.  I actually have most of those Novarro films myself.  My joke fell a little flat !!!

But if I could try to wriggle out of this I would just add that these Novarro films are on ALL of the time so it might still be safe to go shopping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday, August 14 at 4.00 am  Tout Va Bien 1972  (non tout ne va pas bien dans ce film...)

Yves Montand Jane Fonda  if an experimental political social movie by Jean Luc Godard interest you...otherwise a major must miss.Godard got the financing for this 'work' because he got Montand and Fonda interested in it.Fonda's career was going nowhere during this period (for several years till Julia and Fun with Dick & Jane.)I lost a lot a precious time watching Godard's films and i still have some to see i guess i'am a masochist... Godard is  really overrated imo

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat., 8-14                                                   SUTS:   Gregory Peck........

3:15
pm  (ET)
Moby Dick Profile Image
 
"............Huston saw his father Walter Huston as the perfect Ahab ..........Gregory Peck became Huston's new choice through a chance meeting at a Hollywood party. Peck was not sure he was right for the role, in fact, he always thought John Huston would have done a better job. However, Peck's box office draw delighted Warner Brothers ......
Huston's quest for the perfect film of Moby Dick chewed up writers, cast and crew, strangely mirroring Ahab's own search. Perhaps it gave Huston a way of looking into the mad captain's soul. The result of all that pain and torment yielded the most accurate and probably the quintessential movie version of Melville's book. ............"
 
-terrific cast, good production............. :)
=====================================================================
 
8:00
pm
The Big Country Profile Image
 
" In Wyler's words, the film was "about a man's refusal to act according to accepted standards of behavior. Customs of the Old West were sort of debunked.".......
 
-good cast,   great musical score ............... :)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...