Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 17

Gloria Grahame SUTS

big-heat-01.jpg

8 p.m.  The Big Heat (1953).  One of Grahame’s very best.

Definitely one of her better films. 

Funny how I only knew her as Ado Annie from OKLAHOMA! for so many years, then I started seeing a lot of her other movies, this one, IN A LONELY PLACE,  SUDDEN FEAR to name a few, and I began to see her in a whole new light. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, August 18

Robert Redford SUTS

lastcastle_2001_photo_hero-1920x1080.jpg

1 a.m.  The Last Castle (2001).  With James Gandolfini and Mark Ruffalo.  I still haven’t seen this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 18

Robert Redford SUTS

lastcastle_2001_photo_hero-1920x1080.jpg

1 a.m.  The Last Castle (2001).  With James Gandolfini and Mark Ruffalo.  I still haven’t seen this one.

I have. It wasn't my cup of tea.

But that's just my two cents. Not exactly the biggest fan of Robert Redford, but I do like James Gandolfini (though basically he's Tony Soprano  as a warden rather than a gangster in this flick).

Link to post
Share on other sites

We d., 8-18

4:00
am ET)
Chilly Scenes of Winter Profile Image
 
 
"How do you market a quirky romantic comedy about a non-glamorous, flawed yuppie couple with uninteresting jobs who live in Salt Lake City? Actually, romantic comedy is probably too deceptive a classification for this sardonic tale of a couple's courtship and breakup, presented in flashbacks and narrated by Charles (John Heard), the jilted lover. ....
 
As good as Heard and Hurt are in their scenes together, they are occasionally upstaged by some of the supporting players. Peter Riegert as Sam, Charles' unemployed, skirt-chasing roommate, has a merciless wit and charm that steals many a scene with his deadpan zingers. Gloria Grahame is also unpredictably funny and pathetic as Charles' mentally unbalanced mother, proving that underneath her screen image as a film noir femme fatale was a gifted comedienne struggling to break out........
 
 
=====================================================
 
don't remember seeing THIS before........
:unsure:
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

We d., 8-18

4:00
am ET)
Chilly Scenes of Winter Profile Image
 
 
"How do you market a quirky romantic comedy about a non-glamorous, flawed yuppie couple with uninteresting jobs who live in Salt Lake City? Actually, romantic comedy is probably too deceptive a classification for this sardonic tale of a couple's courtship and breakup, presented in flashbacks and narrated by Charles (John Heard), the jilted lover. ....
 
As good as Heard and Hurt are in their scenes together, they are occasionally upstaged by some of the supporting players. Peter Riegert as Sam, Charles' unemployed, skirt-chasing roommate, has a merciless wit and charm that steals many a scene with his deadpan zingers. Gloria Grahame is also unpredictably funny and pathetic as Charles' mentally unbalanced mother, proving that underneath her screen image as a film noir femme fatale was a gifted comedienne struggling to break out........
 
 
=====================================================
 
don't remember seeing THIS before........
:unsure:

AKA  Head Over Heels

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 19

Setsuko Hara SUTS

here_s-to-the-young-lady.jpg?w=474

6 a.m.  Here's to the Young Lady (1949).  I haven’t seen this one!

Don't think I've caught this one either. Definitely have to set this on record for my DVR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 21

Katharine Hepburn SUTS

aliceadams_allbookedup_FC_HD_2997_CC_470

10:30 a.m.  Alice Adams (1935).  With Fred MacMurray.

Love, love LOVE this one with Katharine Hepburn. Definitely one of her best pre-Grant, pre-Tracy films (along with LITTLE WOMEN). Nice to see Fred MacMurray as a charmer rather than the creeps he played in THE CAINE MUTINY and THE APARTMENT.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday, August 22

Tyrone Power SUTS

charles-laughton-marlene-dietrich-tyrone

12:45 p.m.  Witness For the Prosecution (1957).  Great cast in this Billy Wilder, Agatha Christie film.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this years ago as a 12 year old.  The last scene between Tyrone and Marlene was a stunner. It’s one of the best courtroom dramas ever directed by the incomparable Billy Wilder. I hope everyone has a chance to watch this great movie 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, August 22

Tyrone Power SUTS

charles-laughton-marlene-dietrich-tyrone

12:45 p.m.  Witness For the Prosecution (1957).  Great cast in this Billy Wilder, Agatha Christie film.

Love this movie, with quite a few twists and turns to the story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another little known Power movie is being shown, Abandon Ship.  It’s a dark survival movie and, again Power shows his acting chops. He’s a tough captain who must make life and death choices among dire situations. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

late Sun., 8-22                                                                          unusual but great role for Power......

12:15
am (ET)
Nightmare Alley Profile Image
 
"Power is superb and unsettling here-his manicured, elegant, leading-man good looks counterbalance his character's ruthlessness and, later, his hollow-eyed despair. The movie was deeply important to him. He had bought the rights to Gresham's novel, and then had to persuade a reluctant Darryl Zanuck and 20th Century Fox to go ahead with the film......
, it stands as a bold example of a mainstream work that doesn't talk down to its audience, that trusts viewers to follow it down some very dark pathways.............
 
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, August 23

Eve Arden SUTS

Originally Stage Door (1937) was in the 6 a.m. slot but that has been replaced by Pan-Americana (1945).  Today I’ll go with …

81Uk0hgBqVL._RI_.jpg

8 p.m.   Our Miss Brooks (1956).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, August 23

Eve Arden SUTS

Originally Stage Door (1937) was in the 6 a.m. slot but that has been replaced by Pan-Americana (1945).  Today I’ll go with …

81Uk0hgBqVL._RI_.jpg

8 p.m.   Our Miss Brooks (1956).

Too bad, I like STAGE DOOR, but maybe the programmers figured it was too close after Katharine Hepburn just had her day.

I do like OUR MISS BROOKS. Eve Arden is always a joy to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late Sun., 8-22                                                                          unusual but great role for Power......

12:15
am (ET)
Nightmare Alley Profile Image
 
"Power is superb and unsettling here-his manicured, elegant, leading-man good looks counterbalance his character's ruthlessness and, later, his hollow-eyed despair. The movie was deeply important to him. He had bought the rights to Gresham's novel, and then had to persuade a reluctant Darryl Zanuck and 20th Century Fox to go ahead with the film......
, it stands as a bold example of a mainstream work that doesn't talk down to its audience, that trusts viewers to follow it down some very dark pathways.............
 

The irony of Tyrone’s life still amazes me. Even his fans abandoned him; most rejected this dark performance. He was never even acknowledged for his talent. Now many years later, he finally gets his due. I hope he’s smiling down f Heaven!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, King Rat said:

We're fortunate to have Nightmare Alley and Abandon Ship along with some of the more familiar Tyrone Power films.

I’m so glad TCM chose Abandon Ship too. Tyrone jumped right into this role; allowing himself to look like hell, exhausted and disheveled, playing a basically good man making horrific decisions. Another role that should have led to at least a nomination. He was just starting to show his deep intelligent side

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...