Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

23 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, August 23

Eve Arden SUTS

Originally Stage Door (1937) was in the 6 a.m. slot but that has been replaced by Pan-Americana (1945).

If this is a last-minute change, the Programming department wasn't made aware. They're showing Stage Door as scheduled, on right now.

Terry + Jean + the trunks scene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, wbogacz said:

If this is a last-minute change, the Programming department wasn't made aware. They're showing Stage Door as scheduled, on right now.

Terry + Jean + the trunks scene.

My mistake !  I was looking at the Canadian schedule where Stage Door was prefaced by Pan-Americana.  Sorry about that.

Wednesday, August 25

Jane Wyman SUTS

larcenyinc1942.2574.jpg

12:15 p.m.  Larceny, Inc. (1942).  With Edward G. Robinson

740full-the-yearling-screenshot.jpg

midnight.  The Yearling (1946).  With Gregory Peck.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, August 25

Jane Wyman SUTS

larcenyinc1942.2574.jpg

12:15 p.m.  Larceny, Inc. (1942).  With Edward G. Robinson

740full-the-yearling-screenshot.jpg

midnight.  The Yearling (1946).  With Gregory Peck.

Looking forward to these, especially THE YEARLING.

Nowadays, Jane is probably best remembered as Angela Channing on TV'S FALCON CREST, but she did have quite the interesting film career.  Of course there was also her marriage and divorce to then actor Ronald Reagan.

Thursday, August 26

Tony Randall SUTS

drlao005.jpg

8 p.m.  7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964).  For me, Randall avoids racial miscasting criticism as the Oriental Lao when he purposely slips out of the accent from time to time which is a clear wink to the audience.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, August 26

Tony Randall SUTS

drlao005.jpg

8 p.m.  7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964).  For me, Randall avoids racial miscasting criticism as the Oriental Lao when he purposely slips out of the accent from time to time which is a clear wink to the audience.

I don't think I've seen this one from him. I think I'll give it a watch and see how I like it.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I do like OUR MISS BROOKS. Eve Arden is always a joy to watch.

I noticed in the opening credits the movie was directed by AL LEWIS who was also credited as co-writer.   I had to check it out.  But apparently a different Al Lewis, and not the one who was Grandpa on The Munsters or in CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU, as Wiki  doesn't list any writing or directing credits in his cinematography.  

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, August 27

Merle Oberon SUTS

Hotel-1967-film-images-23285f50-bbd9-4c6

3:45 a.m.  Hotel (1967).  All-star extravaganza with Rod Taylor.

Been awhile, but I may have seen this. Will have to put it on DVR to take another look at it.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, August 28

Lee Marvin SUTS

resized_272427-flashback-0309_77-24345_t

10 p.m.  The Professionals (1966).  This is one of my favourite westerns.

A great film for sure. A pleasure to see Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin in the same movie together.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, August 29

Ingrid Berman SUTS

casablanca-ievenn-1.jpg

6 p.m.  Casablanca (1942).

I can't stress enough how much I love this movie.

Bogey and Ingrid Bergman are just soooo right together. And you gotta love Claude Rains as Captain Renault, who plays both sides of the fences between the good guys (Rick) and the bad guys (Major Strasser).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, August 30/31

James Cagney SUTS

263576-james-cagney-top-of-the-world-0-2

5 a.m.  James Cagney: Top of the World (1992).

Haven't seen that one, I'll have to catch that one since Cagney has always been one of my favorites.

Tuesday, August 31

Fredric March SUTS

Too bad they couldn’t get The Iceman Cometh for either March or Lee Marvin

bestyears.jpg

8 p.m.  The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).  For which March won a well deserved second Oscar.

• Like 2
On 8/30/2021 at 5:53 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, August 31

Fredric March SUTS

Too bad they couldn’t get The Iceman Cometh for either March or Lee Marvin

bestyears.jpg

8 p.m.  The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).  For which March won a well deserved second Oscar.

Great film, this one. I still think Dana Andrews should have been nominated alongside Fredric March or Harold Russell.

I wonder if there are copyright issues with THE ICEMAN COMETH, it may be that they can't show it. As you say, it's a fine film.

• Like 1

Thursday, September 2

MV5BOWU2YjA1ODctYjY3OC00OWI4LWIyNDItM2Q0

6 p.m.  Crooks and Coronets aka Sophie’s Place (1969).  With Telly Savalas, Warren Oates and Edith Evans.

MV5BZDVkZWY4YTEtOWJkOC00MzhiLWIzYjEtNGJj

8 p.m.  The Comic (1969).  I saw this many years ago and thought Dick van Dyke wasn’t at all bad.  A bit broad at times, but hey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 2

6 p.m.  Crooks and Coronets aka Sophie’s Place (1969).  With Telly Savalas, Warren Oates and Edith Evans.

8 p.m.  The Comic (1969).  I saw this many years ago and thought Dick van Dyke wasn’t at all bad.  A bit broad at times, but hey.

THE COMIC was certainly a change of pace for Dick Van Dyke.

His 'comic' character could be downright insufferable at times, but I couldn't help but pity him a little by the end of the film. Maybe I'll give it another look.

THURS., 9-2                                                always liked.........

9:45
pm (ET)
Hugo Profile Image

12:00
am ET)                                                                                                 OMG.........WHY bury THIS so late ??????            :wacko:
Sunset Blvd. Profile Image
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 2

Edith Evans and Warren Oates in the same movie! Wow! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Haha 1