• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, September 3

Alan Ladd day kicks off with …

guns-of-the-timberland-1960-1.jpg

6 a.m.  Guns of the Timberland (1960). Co-starring Jeanne Crain and Gilbert Roland.

Looks like an interesting one. I can't shake the feeling I might have seen it before though. Think I'll give it a watch.

Saturday morning, Sep. 4, shows a return to regular format.  Falcon's Adventure appears to be last of Falcon movies to be shown.   Sep 18 and and 25 have Warren William Perry Mason movies.  Can't get Sat., Sep 11 to open. 

8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Looks like an interesting one. I can't shake the feeling I might have seen it before though. Think I'll give it a watch.

Wow. Can barely recognize Ladd there......

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, September 4

lawrence-of-arabia-1200-1200-675-675-cro

4 p.m.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962).  I have to go with this David Lean classic for pick of the day.

I shall have to tune in to this one.

Had he not been competing against Gregory Peck for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, I think Peter O'Toole would have easily have taken home the Best Actor award that year, although he would have had equally strong competition against Burt Lancaster in BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and Jack Lemmon in DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (I think Marcello Mastroianni had maybe at best an outside chance for DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I shall have to tune in to this one.

Had he not been competing against Gregory Peck for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, I think Peter O'Toole would have easily have taken home the Best Actor award that year, although he would have had equally strong competition against Burt Lancaster in BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and Jack Lemmon in DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (I think Marcello Mastroianni had maybe at best an outside chance for DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE).

But it was really Omar Sharif that was robbed.  That was a performance for the ages.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

She's definitely an acquired taste for most, I think.  I suppose I'm one of them.  A little bit of Sandra goes a long way for me.  YMMV.

I caught Sandra Bernhard at The Comedy Store in LA in the mid-80's and it was not a good night for her.  She spent her entire set yelling and swearing at the audience.  An altered state to be sure.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 6

1183755-45599-clp-950.jpg

8 p.m.  Cinema Paradiso (1989).  I saw this when it came out and thought it a bit heavy on the cheese.

Parmesan, mozzarella, or  ricotta?

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

WHO'S GETTIN' TIRED OF................????      :wacko:

Not me! :D ...I agree, though, it has been on a lot lately. I feel like every Sunday when I get home from work SUNDAY IN NEW YORK is on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thursday, September 9 at 1.45 pm Scaramouche 1952 Eleanor Parker day with Stewart Granger Mel Ferrer Janet Leigh.

Parker in her Technicolor best.  I also liked her beauty in The Naked Jungle. One of the best swashbuckling duel ever filmed, it is worth seeing.

• Like 2

Friday, September 10/11

welcome-to-the-dollhouse-1200-1200-675-6

2 a.m.  Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995).  Interesting Todd Solondz film.  Young Heather Matarazzo is excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, September 11/12

Screen-Shot-2014-01-10-at-6.22.47-PM.png

2:45 a.m.  The Last Picture Show (1971).  Terrific Peter Bogdanovich film.

Haven't watched it in a long time, but may record it so I can clarify the nude scenes in my mind.  This came up in several posts in some thread.  Have seen it at least three times.   Even though it is only 118 minutes long, for me this may be one of those that I have seen often enough that it begins to drag in too many places.  "Familiarity breeds contempt" so to speak.  This is a very good movie, so I hold no contempt at all for it.