Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Sunday, September 12/13

vlcsnap-2012-11-27-08h25m55s59.png

11:15 p.m.  Big Fella (1937).  A film Paul Robeson made in Britain.  Margaret Rutherford has a small part.

MV5BYzI3MzY5MjctMWVkYS00MTE1LTg1NDctZTVm

3:15 a.m.  Blind Chance (1981).  Interesting Polish film with trio of ‘what if’ stories based on whether a man manages to catch a train or not.  Made in 1981 but not released until 1987 as was the case with so many films from behind the iron curtain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 12/13

11:15 p.m.  Big Fella (1937).  A film Paul Robeson made in Britain.  Margaret Rutherford has a small part.

3:15 a.m.  Blind Chance (1981).  Interesting Polish film with trio of ‘what if’ stories based on whether a man manages to catch a train or not.  Made in 1981 but not released until 1987 as was the case with so many films from behind the iron curtain.

Don't think I've seen BIG FELLA. I know I definitely haven't seen BLIND CHANCE. Sounds interesting though.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 13

AuRLKZEUFT1aqYOYTmvttauelbsaw508dlde-7Ut

4 p.m.  The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964).  What would a day of seafaring films be without the Incredible Mr. Limpet.

This is actually a cute movie for me, probably one of the first films I saw as a young one. 

I can take or leave Don Knotts, but he was pretty funny in here.

Prime time on Monday is a night of Paul Newman movies, including at 10:30 PM:

After sitting through 208 minutes of this, I can only imagine what it was like for the Jews to wander the desert for 40 years.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 14

A8P1-1.jpg

8 p.m.  The Paper Chase (1973).  Decent law school film by James Bridges.

I know that eventually became a TV series a few years later  with John Houseman recreating his role as Professor Kingsfield, the rest of the roles replaced with new actors. 

I don't think I've seen the movie, though I do know Houseman won the Best Supporting Actor that year. I'll give it a watch.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:14 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 12/13

Thanks for Blind Chance. Just added to WatchTCM. 

Big Fella is notable mostly for Robeson's singing and a cameo by his wife, Eslanda, as the café bar maid. Rutherford's singing, as a character in the film put it, is sweet. But the plot is worse than trivial and Paul has little of interest to do but croon.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 14

A8P1-1.jpg

8 p.m.  The Paper Chase (1973).  Decent law school film by James Bridges.

One of my favorites due, mostly, to John Houseman's performance though Bottoms is pretty. They never seem to add this one to the streaming site. 😕

s-l1000.jpg

The Hustler (1961, Robert Rossen) 8pm (EST)

This one and Norman Jewison's Cincinnati Kid are my two favorite street level hustling flicks. Paul Newman, of course, played Jackie Gleason's character in the Scorsese remake, The Color of Money, with Tom Cruise as the young buck. But the '61 film is the distilled classic.

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I know that eventually became a TV series a few years later  with John Houseman recreating his role as Professor Kingsfield, the rest of the roles replaced with new actors. 

I don't think I've seen the movie, though I do know Houseman won the Best Supporting Actor that year. I'll give it a watch.

Also made Houseman well-known to the general public, after 40 years of behind the scenes work in radio, theater, film and TV.  He got into show business because of the 1929 stock market crash, which adversely impacted his international grain trading business.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ando said:

s-l1000.jpg

The Hustler (1961, Robert Rossen) 8pm (EST)

This one and Norman Jewison's Cincinnati Kid are my two favorite street level hustling flicks. Paul Newman, of course, played Jackie Gleason's character in the Scorsese remake, The Color of Money, with Tom Cruise as the young buck. But the '61 film is the distilled classic.

Paul Newman replays the role of Edward "Fast Eddie" Felson in The Color of Money,  and NOT the Gleason character from The Hustler.

This is only logical, since how was the director going to explain someone that looked like Gleason,  looking like Newman 15 years later!  (ha ha).

But really,  the above is the reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Paul Newman replays the role of Edward "Fast Eddie" Felson in The Color of Money,  and NOT the Gleason character from The Hustler.

This is only logical, since how was the director going to explain someone that looked like Gleason,  looking like Newman 15 years later!  (ha ha).

Maybe he meant the 'old hand' when referring to the Gleason character?  The dynamics of the old pro and the new pup.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2021 at 3:42 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 13

AuRLKZEUFT1aqYOYTmvttauelbsaw508dlde-7Ut

4 p.m.  The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964).  What would a day of seafaring films be without the Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Noteworthy for being the last thing the Warner animation studio worked on.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Maybe he meant the 'old hand' when referring to the Gleason character?  The dynamics of the old pro and the new pup.

That's exactly what I meant. Obviously he ain't Gleason. 😉

3 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Reality. That's a good one. 🙂

• Haha 1

Tuesday, September 14

MV5BMTQyNmI0YzEtMjk4Zi00MTQyLWJiY2EtOTZl

Getting Straight (1970, Richard Rush) 11:45pm (EST) A Vietnam vet and former social radical is conflicted by his desire to become a teacher and his sympathy with anti-establishment student protests. New to me. At the very least it's a chance to see some of the hottest 70s actors in bloom though I'm expecting mostly characters doing the usual counter-culture vs. establishment sparring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, September 15

image-w1280.jpg

6 a.m.  About Face (1952).  It looks a bit dodgy but I’ll go with this Eddie Bracken film that I've never seen.

Got poor reviews.  My only interests would be to see Phyllis Kirk (like her in The Thin Man TV series) and to see what military school they are supposedly from.   The hat devices/badges might be made just for the movie.  Definitely not West Point or other well known military colleges.

2 hours ago, ando said:

Tuesday, September 14

MV5BMTQyNmI0YzEtMjk4Zi00MTQyLWJiY2EtOTZl

Getting Straight (1970, Richard Rush) 11:45pm (EST) A Vietnam vet and former social radical is conflicted by his desire to become a teacher and his sympathy with anti-establishment student protests. New to me. At the very least it's a chance to see some of the hottest 70s actors in bloom though I'm expecting mostly characters doing the usual counter-culture vs. establishment sparring. 

Well this film didn't really help Harrison Ford's career;   I just saw him on Gunsmoke in a bit part that was made 2 years after this film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1