Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Well this film didn't really help Harrison Ford's career;   I just saw him on Gunsmoke in a bit part that was made 2 years after this film.

It was 1977's STAR WARS that really jump-started Ford's career as Han Solo, and then of course he went on to the two sequels as well as becoming equally iconic as Indiana Jones in the INDIANA JONES film series.

Although he does play an interesting (as well as menacing) small role in Francis Ford Coppola's THE CONVERSATION. Of course Ford also played a bit part in another Coppola project AMERICAN GRAFFITI the year before.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:49 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 14

A8P1-1.jpg

8 p.m.  The Paper Chase (1973).  Decent law school film by James Bridges.

The real genius of this film is Gordon Willis' camerawork. I'd argue that it makes half of Houseman's performance. I hope they add it to WatchTCM so I can do more marveling. 🙂 It came near the beginning of a pretty good 70s run:

The Landlord 1970

Klute 1971

The Godfather  1972

Bad Company  1972

Up the Sandbox  1973

The Paper Chase  1973

The Parallax View  1974

The Godfather: Part II  1974

The Drowning Pool  1975

All the President's Men  1976

Annie Hall  1977

Interiors  1978

Comes a Horseman  1978

Manhattan 1979

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, September 16

Lauren Bacall day.

lauren-bacall-and-humphrey-bogart-in-key

12:15 p.m.  Key Largo (1948).  By John Huston.

A real classic.

Of course Edward G. Robinson steals the show as the notorious Johnny Rocco. And Claire Trevor breaks your heart as his booze-lovin' honey Gay Dawn, particularly when he browbeats her into singing for a drink and then refuses to give her one after she does it.

• Like 2
On 9/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, ando said:

One of my favorites due, mostly, to John Houseman's performance though Bottoms is pretty. They never seem to add this one to the streaming site. 😕

For some reason I missed this at the time. And on TCM as well, though they've shown it a few times. Finally saw it last night. I thought Houseman was great, but the rest of the film was uneven.  Seemed like stuff was left on the cutting room floor. The romance with Wagner was just too rushed. He stops over and suddenly they're in bed. You are left wondering if her stalker story was true or not also. You never see the guy.

Always wondered why Timothy Bottom's career never panned out. He had a great few years in the beginning. He was talented and good looking. Seemed to fall off the grid by the late 70s. or even earlier.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

For some reason I missed this at the time. And on TCM as well, though they've shown it a few times. Finally saw it last night. I thought Houseman was great, but the rest of the film was uneven.  Seemed like stuff was left on the cutting room floor. The romance with Wagner was just too rushed. He stops over and suddenly they're in bed. 

Haha. One of the things I failed to notice in previous viewings (that I did last night) was Wagner's admittance that she'd have have asked Bottoms in on their first meeting if she didn't want escape the curse of going out with another of her father's students.

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Always wondered why Timothy Bottom's career never panned out. He had a great few years in the beginning. He was talented and good looking. Seemed to fall off the grid by the late 70s. or even earlier.

I think he's great in Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show but risked little to nothing (emotionally) in The Paper Chase. There's nothing on the line for him except getting the acceptance of John Houseman's character and excelling in class. He's a bore. He's far more interesting as the mysterious blackmailer in the '77 disaster yarn, Rollercoaster. It's not a big part but he does more with it.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't say he's a bore. He has some good scenes in The Paper Chase. But the way the film is cut, he's just part of an ensemble cast. The scenes with Wagner were the weak parts of the movie. Just filler.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wouldn't say he's a bore. He has some good scenes in The Paper Chase. But the way the film is cut, he's just part of an ensemble cast. The scenes with Wagner were the weak parts of the movie. Just filler.

Agree to disagree. He's in nearly every scene and still makes far less of an impression than Houseman. But to each his own. 🙂 

But the Bottoms-Wagner scenes were obviously written not only to provide a “romantic” element but also to enlighten Bottoms to the fact that Kingsley regards the young scholar as just another talented student, no more. Wagner gets Bottoms to stand up to him in class, remove the pedestal of worship he spends most of the film erecting and begin, by the end of the film, to be his own man. That’s a lot more than merely being a member of the ensemble.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, September 17

1*HjxyILtBQVjuhChX23FCVQ.jpeg

6:15 p.m.  The Witches aka The Devil’s Own (1966).  With Joan Fontaine and Kay Walsh.

The film is pretty good till the end. It was Joan's last film.

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Hmm....never seen this one. Will be interesting to see old Joan in a Hammer film.

She doesn't look old in the film at all (she must've been around 50)

15 hours ago, ando said:

Agree to disagree. He's in nearly every scene and still makes far less of an impression than Houseman. But to each his own. 🙂 

But the Bottoms-Wagner scenes were obviously written not only to provide a “romantic” element but also to enlighten Bottoms to the fact that Kingsley regards the young scholar as just another talented student, no more. Wagner gets Bottoms to stand up to him in class, remove the pedestal of worship he spends most of the film erecting and begin, by the end of the film, to be his own man. That’s a lot more than merely being a member of the ensemble.

Who would? He might be in every scene, but the scenes aren't written in a way for the actor to dominate them.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Who would? He might be in every scene, but the scenes aren't written in a way for the actor to dominate them.

The movie is about his development as a young man coming into his own despite the mad race for school grades in a highly competitive atmosphere.

It's about him. If it ain't please tell me what it is.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

All sources show Bottoms as star or lead actor in the movie.  Perhaps Bottoms either played it or was directed to play it as low key, but whenever I have watched it I viewed as a movie primarily about him.  I think it is a late coming of age about a mid-westerner who graduated from college, but really begins to come of age when he gets to Harvard.

From Wikipedia, but I think a good thumbnail description.  "Based on John Jay Osborn Jr.'s 1971 novel The Paper Chase, it tells the story of James Hart, a first-year law student at Harvard Law School, his experiences with Professor Charles Kingsfield, a brilliant and demanding contract law instructor, and Hart's relationship with Kingsfield's daughter." 

12 minutes ago, ando said:

The movie is about his development as a young man coming into his own despite the mad race for school grades in a highly competitive atmosphere.

It's about him. If it ain't please tell me what it is.

It's about HIM and his friends. Yes, he's the lead, but his pals have significant parts too. I'm ok with his performance. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I hadn't seen The Paper Chase in a while, maybe seven or eight years and found it as entertaining

as usual. The romantic part of the movie reminds me a bit of Love Story without the sappiness and

fatal disease plot. I liked the dynamics of the study group more than the romance. I always get a

kick out of the arrogant Liberty Bell. I'm sure most people have met a few Bells in their lifetime.

While I understand Hart's worshipful attitude toward Kingsfield, to me he's just another establishment

go along grouch. And I still find it hard to believe that Hart, though he is freed from Kingsfield's spell,

wouldn't open his grade and just fold it into a paper airplane and toss it into the air. Too much of a

grind to do that to me. And of course today the famous here's a dime scene wouldn't work. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I hadn't seen The Paper Chase in a while, maybe seven or eight years and found it as entertaining

as usual. The romantic part of the movie reminds me a bit of Love Story without the sappiness and

fatal disease plot. I liked the dynamics of the study group more than the romance. I always get a

kick out of the arrogant Liberty Bell. I'm sure most people have met a few Bells in their lifetime.

While I understand Hart's worshipful attitude toward Kingsfield, to me he's just another establishment

go along grouch. And I still find it hard to believe that Hart, though he is freed from Kingsfield's spell,

wouldn't open his grade and just fold it into a paper airplane and toss it into the air. Too much of a

grind to do that to me. And of course today the famous here's a dime scene wouldn't work. 

I always thought that not looking at his grades was wrong.  Anybody would have looked at their grades.  How else would he know he actually passed all the courses and could come back next year?  How else would he know what summer intern type employment he might be able to procure or important positions at the school next year?  Everybody looks at their grades.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

It's about HIM and his friends. Yes, he's the lead, but his pals have significant parts too. I'm ok with his performance. We'll have to agree to disagree.

They aren't his friends, simply class/study mates and perhaps future colleagues. Wagner's his only friend. It's she who gets him to begin to grow up.

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

I always thought that not looking at his grades was wrong.  Anybody would have looked at their grades.  How else would he know he actually passed all the courses and could come back next year?  How else would he know what summer intern type employment he might be able to procure or important positions at the school next year?  Everybody looks at their grades.

I think they were going with the theme of Hart realizing there is more to life than obsessing about Kingsfield

and law school, more than just the paper chase. But it's still hard to believe that after all that work he really

doesn't care about what grade he received, especially at a hyper competitive place like Harvard Law School.

Just a bit of the old-fashioned Hollywood fantasy brought up to date.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I think they were going with the theme of Hart realizing there is more to life than obsessing about Kingsfield

and law school, more than just the paper chase. But it's still hard to believe that after all that work he really

doesn't care about what grade he received, especially at a hyper competitive place like Harvard Law School.

Just a bit of the old-fashioned Hollywood fantasy brought up to date.

Yeah you can choose to throw your medal into a river, but first you have to win it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Yeah you can choose to throw your medal into a river, but first you have to win it.

Or at least know what it's for. Though the ending is a bit unrealistic, it didn't spoil the movie for me.

On a less serious note, I liked Hart's hair style--frizzy in class and then slicked down for Kingsfield's

partee. 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, ando said:

They aren't his friends, simply class/study mates and perhaps future colleagues. Wagner's his only friend. It's she who gets him to begin to grow up.

I'm bored with this discussion. The film isn't good enough to merit it. NEXT!