Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

13 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

You're welcome!  I was hoping to see whether I could also find links to any of the other films that had originally been scheduled, but I don't even know what the rest of them are (since those older schedules no longer seem to be accessible anywhere online).  Maybe Bogie56 would remember?

Besides the Bunuel film, there were:

Sombre Verde aka Untouched (1954)

Llevane en tus Brazos (1954)

Puerto de Tentación (1951).

There may have been one or maybe two others but once I refreshed my screen they all disappeared and are replaced by the musicals.

I looked on the web and could not see any subtitles for these films on https://www.opensubtitles.org so maybe, maybe that was the problem TCM had with broadcasting these films?  - Obtaining copies with English subtitles?

NB: I've since read Mr6666's post with all of the Mexican films.  de la Cruz is another Bunuel film that can be purchased on dvd with subtitles.  Victims of Sin may have been on TCM before because I managed to tape a copy of it.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, September 22/23

Here is a new one on me ….

MV5BMTY1Njc4MzQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIw

4:30 a.m.  The Winds of Autumn (1976).  With Jack Elam, Jeanette Nolan and Dub Taylor as ‘Rattler S. Gravely.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, September 22/23

Here is a new one on me ….

MV5BMTY1Njc4MzQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIw

4:30 a.m.  The Winds of Autumn (1976).  With Jack Elam, Jeanette Nolan and Dub Taylor as ‘Rattler S. Gravely.

I have never seen this one. Looks like an interesting cast though.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Besides the Bunuel film, there were:

Sombre Verde aka Untouched (1954)

Llevane en tus Brazos (1954)

Puerto de Tentación (1951).

Here's a link to Llévame en tus Brazos on youtube:

Puerto de Tentación:

These are both in 480p (so, borderline watchable, if perhaps not the sharpest prints), but not sure what the quality of TCM's prints would have been, either (which may also have been a factor in their decision to pull them, in addition to the subtitle  issue you mentioned).

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Fausterlitz said:

Here's a link to Llévame en tus Brazos on youtube:

These are both in 480p (so, borderline watchable, if perhaps not the sharpest prints), but not sure what the quality of TCM's prints would have been, either (which may also have been a factor in their decision to pull them, in addition to the subtitle  issue you mentioned).

Yes, I was looking forward to seeing both of those.  Unfortunately the youtube, and other copies are without English subtitles.

• Thanks 1

Thursday, September 23/24

MV5BMmNhZmEwNDctYTA1YS00MTQ0LTg2MmYtOWY4

4 a.m.  No Blade of Grass (1970).  Directed by Cornel Wilde.  I saw this in the theatre when it came out.  I was quite young and thought it was pretty good.  I wonder if I will find it shockingly bad this time around?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

4 a.m.  No Blade of Grass (1970).  Directed by Cornel Wilde.  I saw this in the theatre when it came out.  I was quite young and thought it was pretty good.  I wonder if I will find it shockingly bad this time around?

I just adore the film's theme song, so wonderfully sung by Roger Whittaker.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:36 AM, Bogie56 said:

MV5BMmNhZmEwNDctYTA1YS00MTQ0LTg2MmYtOWY4

Watched it on TCM last year i think, let's just say it did not aged well....

Saturday, September 25

MV5BNGUyZWE2N2MtNjQxYy00YjljLWEyNDAtYTU2

11:30 a.m.  Plane Nuts (1933).  Ted Healy and the Stooges short subject.

raczl2548l931.jpg

4:30 p.m.  The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966).  Terrific Sergio Leone western with standout performance by Eli Wallach.

• Like 1

Sunday, September 26 at 1 pm  I Married a Witch with Veronica Lake Fredric March

It played earlier this month it is a great comedy by René Clair, great tempo no wasted time.March was too old for the part (McCrea passed on it) Lake is so good in it with good direction & good casting she was  proving she could be  a great  actress The chemistry was great between the 2 stars their hate of each other was not apparent at all!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, nakano said:

Sunday, September 26 at 1 pm  I Married a Witch with Veronica Lake Fredric March

It played earlier this month it is a great comedy by René Clair, great tempo no wasted time.March was too old for the part (McCrea passed on it) Lake is so good in it with good direction & good casting she was  proving she could be  a great  actress The chemistry was great between the 2 stars their hate of each other was not apparent at all!

lake22.jpg

This is such a cute and funny film. 

March and Lake really clicked together, you are right, their dislike of each other was not at all obvious in here. Now that's what I call acting.

Cecil Kellaway steals the show as Lake's trouble-making warlock father. 

Monday, September 27

MV5BZDhiM2M2NTgtOGNlNi00OGIzLTk4NzUtMjQ4

4 p.m.  Babbitt (1934).  With Aline Macmahon and Guy Kibbee.

1*4T3KlVYuQZdJpQpohAu-4A.jpeg

10:15 p.m.  Malcolm X (1992),  Spike Lee will never make a better film IMO.

I watched Daisy Kenyon last night and was pleasantly surprised.  It was listed as a love triangle and given two stars, but  I thought it was much more than that and better.

Joan Crawford plays  an artist with  her own apartment which she pays for herself with money she earned from her own business which she happens to be very good at -- she proudly tells someone who implies she's a kept woman.  She is  having a long affair with Dana Andrews who is married.  She is also seeing an Army officer freshly home from the war, played by Henry Fonda.  Naturally we want to root for Henry, who is meltingly loveable, rather than Dana who is a jerk who calls waiters honey bunch. 

But we find they're all three much more complicated than that.  Joan has all sorts of  righteous feminist things to say like when Dana is doing some mansplaining about what she really means and she snaps "Don't tell me what I mean!" and she doesn't let the men make her decisions for her, even though they keep on trying.  Dana Andrews proves to have a good side, particularly when it comes to protecting his children from his abusive wife and Henry leans toward depression and PTSD.  The pace accelerates until we get to a really excellent ending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Extras, 2005.   Tues. 2:15am (Pacific)   An episode of this very funny series with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant is listed in my Dish Network guide for TCM.  It's weird but they're rarely wrong. We shall see when I record it.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2:30 AM ET:  Silver Streak.  One of the best train movies and a great mystery-comedy.  Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh, Richard Pryor and Patrick McGoohan.  Also starring a Canadian Pacific passenger train as The Silver Streak.

Silver-Streak-Poster.jpg

Wednesday, September 29

Odd to comprise the entire day of silent films.  I’m not complaining.

MV5BYmQ5OTYyYjctMmY4Ny00OGE0LWIxNjktNWMw

11:15  p.m.  The Great Buster: A Celebration (2018).  Documentary by Peter Bogdanovich.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, September 29

Odd to comprise the entire day of silent films.  I’m not complaining.

MV5BYmQ5OTYyYjctMmY4Ny00OGE0LWIxNjktNWMw

11:15  p.m.  The Great Buster: A Celebration (2018).  Documentary by Peter Bogdanovich.

Again not shown in Canada -rights issue it was never shown.

• Thanks 1

September 29 at 4;30 am  Chattahoochee (1989)

I have seen it first run,if i remember well  it was very good. Gary Oldman is a great actor & great cast .Sorry for the bold type...

• Thanks 1