Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

She was good in "That's Entertainment! III"

Is this a wise crack?   I ask because That's  Entertainment III is a documentary film released in 1994.     In the Wiki list of  her films it isn't even included.

So if that is the one film someone says she was good in,  I have to assume they are trying to be funny.

But if not,  are you saying out of all the films you have seen that Allyson was in this is  the one that stands out?

For me the one film Allyson is in where she doesn't get under my skin is Executive Suite.  But she has a small role in this film (as Holden's wife),  and the 3 other actresses still are much more impressive;  Stanwyck,  Winters and Oscar winner Nina Foch.

5 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Nina Foch won an Oscar?

Yes,  best supporting Oscar for her role in Executive Suite.    I believe it was the shortest on-screen performance to win an Oscar (at least at the time 1954).

Note that the same year she married James Lipton, the guy from Inside the Actors Studio.

Nina was cute until she started to put her hair into a bun.   

Image of Nina Foch

1 minute ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Yes,  best supporting Oscar for her role in Executive Suite.    I believe it was the shortest on-screen performance to win an Oscar (at least at the time 1954).

Note that the same year she married James Lipton, the guy from Inside the Actors Studio.

Image of Nina Foch

Foch had a good sized role in the two part finale for Route 66 tv series.  About 1964 I believe.

Really looking forward to All About Eve this evening (and of course Nightmare Alley later on).  I can't remember the last time it was on, but maybe someone will.

I read the book "All About All About Eve" and it included a cast salary list which I thought was interesting for the wide variety of methods and salaries.  For some reason Gary Merrill isn't on it.

Maybe GARY MERRILL was paid the lump sum of . . .

JACK ****! 

😜

No moolah at all!  💰 (Well, he probably got paid as per union rules . . . ). 

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Nina Foch won an Oscar?

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Image of Nina Foch

Foch was nominated, but didn't win.

Eva Marie Saint took home the Best Supporting Actress that year for ON THE WATERFRONT.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Foch was nominated, but didn't win.

Eva Marie Saint took home the Best Supporting Actress that year for ON THE WATERFRONT.

Thanks for that correction.     I now recall that I messed this up once before!      My only excuse is that Foch's nomination was memorable because of how little on-screen time she had.   

Also,  I have always  viewed Saint's performance as deserving an Oscar nomination in the lead actress category instead of supporting given that she is one of the only females in the entire film.

But still,  silly me.

Just now, JamesJazGuitar said:

Thanks for that correction.     I now recall that I messed this up once before!      My only excuse is that Foch's nomination was memorable because of how little on-screen time she had.   

Also,  I have always  viewed Saint's performance as deserving an Oscar nomination in the lead actress category instead of supporting given that she is one of the only females in the entire film.

But still,  silly me.

The studio probably wanted to steer her away from the Judy Garland/Grace Kelly competition in Best Actress that year.

I agree that Eva Marie Saint's role was really a leading one.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, October 8

Lucille Ball SOTM

11880010675_09b58d1fb1_c.jpg

12:15 p.m.  Panama Lady (1939).

I’m definitely recording this one. It’s one of the few Lucy movies I haven’t seen. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, October 9

brightonrock1947.69716.jpg

midnight.  Brighton Rock (1947).  Young Richard Attenborough and Carol Marsh excel in this Graham Greene story.

Really good film.  Not one that I've seen very often, so I'll have to be sure to catch this one again.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, October 9

brightonrock1947.69716.jpg

midnight.  Brighton Rock (1947).  Young Richard Attenborough and Carol Marsh excel in this Graham Greene story.

Also 10:00 Sunday morning.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:59 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, October 8

Lucille Ball SOTM

11880010675_09b58d1fb1_c.jpg

12:15 p.m.  Panama Lady (1939).

A remake of the very good Panama Flo  with the beautiful Helen Twelvetrees and Charles Bickford this was a good 1932 precode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SAT., 10-9

2:15
pm (ET)
Track of the Cat Profile Image
Robert Mitchum, Teresa Wright, Diana Lynn, Tab Hunter, Beulah Bondi

"....William A. Wellman's existential Western, Track of the Cat (1954), is often crudely symbolic with a claustrophobic sense of gloom and doom. In his autobiography, Wellman judged the film "a flop artistically, financially, and Wellmanly." But that's being a little severe. This is a fascinating misfire that, if for no other reason, is worth watching for one of the more unique visual schemes in movie history. At times, the stark, color-drained imagery is genuinely haunting......"

-always liked this supposed Wellman 'misfire'
with a menacing Mitchum & shrewish Beulah Bondi........
that TCM doesn't often air
:)
  • Like 4