Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't think I've ever caught this one. Think I will check it out.

Had to look it up on Wikipedia and then remembered having seen it sometime back.  Interesting little movie and worth watching if you have never seen it.

Thursday, October 14 at 1h00pm In Canada only the original uk Gaslight with Anton Walbrook, not showed often(The  1944 Gaslight with Bergman & Boyer was a remake of the UK one) In the USA they have OBSESSION aka The HiddenRoom . For once we have a very good substitute  in Canada the best one imo.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 14

The-Long-Long-Trailer-jpg.jpg

10 pm. The Long, Long Trailer (1954).  Somebody’s favourite film is on again!

YAY! I never tire of this movie 🙂  And I officially start my vacation tomorrow! My fave film is the perfect way to kick it off! 

• Like 1

Too Many Girls is definitely not the best movie ever.  Had Lucy and Desi not become massive superstars together and created one of the most enduring television shows of all time, I'm sure that this film would have been forgotten.  

One of my favorite parts of this movie is when Lucy's character gives a flirtatious glance at Desi's character (who is manning the door) and he faints.  Lucy is paired up with Richard The Creature From the Black Lagoon Carlson and they do not have as much chemistry as she and Desi did in the film, even though they don't really have any interaction.  

This film has its moments, but it also has a somewhat odd storyline.   But overall, it's amusing.  Ann Miller and Frances Langford both provide adequate support.  Van Johnson appears as an extra in many crowd scenes.

My favorite parts:

1) Desi fainting when Lucy gives him a flirty look.

2) The fact that the actress playing Richard Carlson's aunt is named "Tiny Person." 

3) The animated organisms dancing the conga in the big victory scene.

4) Desi and Ann Miller's conga number

5) Lucy very visibly screwing up the choreography during the big conga number

6) The football scene when all the virgins' beanies are fished out of the cannon

7) Desi.  He is absolutely adorable in this film and I can see why Lucy fell in love with him instantly. 

8 ) Hal LeRoy's rubber legs number

late FRI., 10-15                                              UNDERGROUND  I  .......

"...........In a sterile and oppressive rural planned community, a large group of unhappy younger teenagers respond to parental neglect and police harassment by engaging in increasingly larger crimes that culminate in a violent rebellion. The "shocking" aspect of these stories is that the kids involved are from upper middle-class backgrounds -- the old juvenile delinquency arguments about poverty and environmental disadvantage do not apply here. .........

The main characters Matt and Clarissa (Keanu Reeves and **** Skye) talk about the crime but feel no immediate compulsion to do anything about it; they instead discuss the nature of simply not caring about such things. The manic Layne (Crispin Glover) responds by initiating a one-man crime coverup; he pops pills and often passes out in his car. Some of the kids eventually tell the alcoholic loner, **** (Dennis Hopper), what has happened. ...........

Critics went for the picture in a big way; even when not reviewed positively, the film's power as a real-life horror story was duly acknowledged..................Critic Kenneth Turan responded to the grim tone of River's Edge by calling it "The Anti Brat-Pack Movie," an antidote to the cutesy view of teen life then popular in the films of John Hughes. .........

see:  https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/88392/rivers-edge#articles-reviews?articleId=1450910

=========================

was considered pretty 'shocking' when it came out......

but I liked it   :)

& Glover's really SOMETHING    :blink:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late FRI., 10-15                                              UNDERGROUND  I  .......

"...........In a sterile and oppressive rural planned community, a large group of unhappy younger teenagers respond to parental neglect and police harassment by engaging in increasingly larger crimes that culminate in a violent rebellion. The "shocking" aspect of these stories is that the kids involved are from upper middle-class backgrounds -- the old juvenile delinquency arguments about poverty and environmental disadvantage do not apply here. .........

The main characters Matt and Clarissa (Keanu Reeves and **** Skye) talk about the crime but feel no immediate compulsion to do anything about it; they instead discuss the nature of simply not caring about such things. The manic Layne (Crispin Glover) responds by initiating a one-man crime coverup; he pops pills and often passes out in his car. Some of the kids eventually tell the alcoholic loner, **** (Dennis Hopper), what has happened. ...........

Critics went for the picture in a big way; even when not reviewed positively, the film's power as a real-life horror story was duly acknowledged..................Critic Kenneth Turan responded to the grim tone of River's Edge by calling it "The Anti Brat-Pack Movie," an antidote to the cutesy view of teen life then popular in the films of John Hughes. .........

see:  https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/88392/rivers-edge#articles-reviews?articleId=1450910

=========================

was considered pretty 'shocking' when it came out......

but I liked it   :)

& Glover's really SOMETHING    :blink:

A hard movie to watch, but still there's something fascinating about it. And yes it does prove that a stable upbringing from good homes does not guarantee that kids won't end up going astray, down the wrong path for whatever reason.

In a cast with Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper, it is indeed Glover who walks away with the movie. And **** Skye (pre-SAY ANYTHING) and Roxana Zal (best known as the sexually abused daughter in the 1984 TV movie SOMETHING ABOUT AMELIA) also turn in fine work.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, Bogie56 said:

And I am going to record it. I mean, no film can be that good. :lol:

Just kidding, but the enthusiasm that always abounds from "somebody" has me curious.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 14

"It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone!" 

LOL.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:01 PM, nakano said:

Thursday, October 14 at 1h00pm In Canada only the original uk Gaslight with Anton Walbrook, not showed often(The  1944 Gaslight with Bergman & Boyer was a remake of the UK one) In the USA they have OBSESSION aka The HiddenRoom . For once we have a very good substitute  in Canada the best one imo.

gaslight-1940.jpg

I watched that last year on Youtube.  I liked  Diana Wynyard much better in the role. She had a fragility about her that made me even more frightened for her than I was for Bergman.

10 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Tonight at 10:30 pm Pacific, 1:30 am EST

The_Dark_Past_movie_poster.jpg

"A psychologist tries to analyze the criminal who's taken him hostage."   I'll be watching.☺️

This sounds like a remake of "Blind Alley" (1939) with Chester Morris as the criminal and Ralph Bellamy as a psychiatrist.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 18

Miriam-Hopkins-Heiress-1949.JPG

6 p.m.  The Heiress (1949).  This is de Havilland’s show all the way but Miriam Hopkins is pretty good too.

Really love this movie. Olivia more than earned her second Oscar in here. Montgomery Clift plays quite a convincing heel in here as well.

• Thanks 1