Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

11 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

This sounds like a remake of "Blind Alley" (1939) with Chester Morris as the criminal and Ralph Bellamy as a psychiatrist.

Haven't seen it, but Eddie confirmed that it was.     Strange doing a remake after only 9 years, and have a feeling the original was better.   I was a little disappointed but seldom care for films based on plays.  Too talky and claustrophobic.  Holden was "handsome as all get-out" but I found his performance lacking in depth and agree that he was probably miscast.   Funny even the host saying he didn't like the movie.  If this was 'curated' I'd hate to see the rejects.  😄

On the other hand, I hadn't seen it before so did enjoy something new at least.

14 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Haven't seen it, but Eddie confirmed that it was.     Strange doing a remake after only 9 years, and have a feeling the original was better  (as usual).   Holden was "handsome as all get-out" but I found his performance lacking in depth.  Agree that he was miscast.  Funny that the host said he didn't actually like the movie.  If this was 'curated' I'd hate to see his rejects.  😄

Thanks. I was reading the description and I said to myself - "Hey that sounds like Blind Alley" - it was on TCM 10-15 years ago. When I saw both films were made by Columbia I figured there was a high probability. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Strange doing a remake after only 9 years, and have a feeling the original was better. 

Lots of 30s movies got remakes in far less than that.

Paul Muni's Hi, Nellie got two remakes in that time, and a third remake at the end of the 1940s.

• Like 1

"..........Payday, an unusually frank character study of an out-of-control country western star indulging his appetites for liquor, drugs and sex. It features a career-defining performance from Rip Torn -- the actor excels at playing profane, unpredictable wild men, and Payday's Maury Dann is the baddest bad boy of them all......

Rip Torn's Maury Dann lives for his own immediate gratification. Although a contender for the big time, Dann is too busy running wild to concentrate on his career. Every booking brings in bundles of cash and more star-struck young women for him to lure into the back of his Cadillac. Living out of bottles and a bottomless bag of pills, he's forever pulling irresponsible stunts. Dann makes love to a girl he's known only a few hours right in the moving car, while his girlfriend Mayleen sleeps at their side. (When 'girlfriend' complains, he dumps her on side of road......)

When Mayleen or Clarence objects to his outrageous behavior, Dann's favorite response is a wicked, selfish grin. He's convinced that his celebrity exempts him from the rules of living.

Don Carpenter's efficient screenplay exposes Maury Dann as a supreme egoist. ..........

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/86403/payday#articles-reviews?articleId=189214

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Payday  was quite good and I would  guess  petty realistic about its  subject matter. I got a  kick  out of Dann's pill popping

mama. Then there was  the Hank Williams in reverse ending. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 21

uKRuCunaJJ6pXyFZhsEMsdICkSQJjiKKsvoPSrRt

11:15 a.m.  Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1969).  Hammer’s Count with Christopher Lee.

Thursday daytime schedule: All Hammer films. Yea! :)

Friday, October 22

Todd-Armstrong-Jason-and-the-Argonauts-D

8 p.m. Jason and the Argonauts (1963).  You can’t go wrong with this one.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 a.m.  Emma Mae (1976).  I had never heard of this film.

• Like 1

Saturday, October 23/24

MV5BMjg0NTE2ODEtYWZkOC00Y2U5LTkzOWUtYmMx

8 p.m.  Bird (1988).  Forest Whittaker does well as Charlie Parker.

IMG_2799+%25282%2529.jpg

2 a.m.  The Beast Must Die aka La Bestia Debe Morir (1952).  This Argentinian film is one of the highlights of the month for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, 2:00 PM.  Plunder of the Sun.  A very good Glen Ford movie with good supporting cast. Based on 1949 book by David Dodge.  I got the book from Hard Case Crime several years ago and it is also very good.  Classified as a Film Noir.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Saturday, 2:00 PM.  Plunder of the Sun.  A very good Glen Ford movie with good supporting cast. Based on 1949 book by David Dodge.  I got the book from Hard Case Crime several years ago and it is also very good.  Classified as a Film Noir.

I',am happy you mentionned it,Iwas going to do the same.If I remember well Patricia Medina looked fantastic,she did not do many films after, she did not get many great vehicles she was a stunning woman.She was once married to  actor Richard Greene,well both were fantastic looking.

• Like 1
On 10/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 21

11285805%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

11:15 a.m.  Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1969).  Hammer’s Count with Christopher Lee.

Yes, that was actually the US poster.  Wouldn't say that Hammer and AI were trying to be a little "hipper" and tongue-in-cheek for the waning days of old-school horror in the late 60's, but the US release companies were starting to get a little more creative in the marketing....Obviously.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:38 PM, Vautrin said:

Then there was  the Hank Williams in reverse ending. 

The main character came back to life in the back seat of a car?

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

The main character came back to life in the back seat of a car?

The country singer  was killed while driving  the car while the guy in the back survived, the reverse of Hank Williams  being  in  the

back seat of  the Caddy dying and the  living driver in the front  seat.  Yes,  I'm sure Hank did  it  that way.