Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

20 hours ago, mr6666 said:

I thought some of the offerings were interesting and many of them "meh".  But did delight in the film of LOUIS JORDAN doing his popular "Caldonia" at the end there. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I thought some of the offerings were interesting and many of them "meh".  But did delight in the film of LOUIS JORDAN doing his popular "Caldonia" at the end there. 

Sepiatone

"Caldonia" was all kinds of awesome!

Monday, December 6/7

pgNBOIaIaNlFZxCGZURDpIrYAtX.jpg

2 a.m.  Cinema Through the Eye of Magnum (2017).  French documentary about cinema.  The magazine, not the P.I.  Replaced in Canada with The Sea Around Us (1953).

• Like 2

Something of a noir fest on Monday, (even with perhaps too-frequently-aired offerings), the highlights for me being:

"Dark Passage"   --   2:15 p.m. Eastern  

"Too Late for Tears"--  8:00 p.m. Eastern      LOVE Lizabeth Scott and fantastic Dan Duryea      

"Where the Sidewalk Ends"  --  10:00 p.m. Eastern

• Like 1

Tuesday, December 7

MV5BNGFmODM5NWMtYjBiOC00OTA5LTg5ZWYtNzA1

5:30 p.m.  They Were Expendable (1945).  This was much better than I expected for a film made during the war.  Surprisingly sombre and low key in many ways.  By John Ford.

• Thanks 1

Coincidentally, my sister in law's birthday is Dec. 7   But 11 years AFTER the Pearl Harbor attack.   So I'll be at her place at that time and will miss the flick due to her not getting TCM.

Sepiatone

Cluny Brown (Fox 1946)

Last night at 10pm! (A retro alert. I forgot to post this. Surprised no one else did!)

Part of an all Lubitsch salute last night. Delightful film (his last) and personal favorite of mine. Nuts to the Squirrels!

Great cast headed by Jennifer Jones at her loveliest and Charles Boyer. TCM rarely airs it. Hope at least a few of you watched.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Cluny Brown (Fox 1946)

Last night at 10pm! (A retro alert. I forgot to post this. Surprised no one else did!)

Part of an all Lubitsch salute last night. Delightful film (his last) and personal favorite of mine. Nuts to the Squirrels!

Great cast headed by Jennifer Jones at her loveliest and Charles Boyer. TCM rarely airs it. Hope at least a few of you watched.

Yes, I saw it again and loved it even more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Cluny Brown (Fox 1946)

I consider Cluny Brown Lubitsch's last film.    What a fine film to leave as one's final one.    While The Lady in Ermine is listed as a his last film,   he died 8 days into shooting and the film was completed by Preminger.        

Although it's a bit hectic,  I like the Deanna Durbin suspense film "Lady on a Train"   (Saturday December 11, 8:00 p.m. Eastern).

Classic situation in which sheltered deb (Durbin) sees a murder committed from a train window;  no one will believe her.    Durbin was so talented.  Love her singing voice.  

And it has the irreplaceable Dan Duryea.   I just noticed today how the names Deanna Durbin and Dan Duryea  echo each other or could almost be anagrams or something ....

MV5BOTdiNjE0OGUtZTFmNy00NzY2LTljMTYtZTk0NjU5MGQ2OGU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_UY200_CR38,0,200,200_AL_.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mr6666 said:

don't re call seeing THIS before............. :D

I had never seen it before, either. Your Youtube link points to the B&W version, which IMDb data confirms. The Movie Database also reports B&W, and their own link brings up a B&W version.

The overnight version TCM presented was in color. Might even call it garish. If it were an example of colorization being positive, this would have put me against it in the 80s. It is kind of funny the producer is "Official Films".

• Like 1